Cinderella Man

Confession

“What is it?” Aubrey asked as their eyes locked.

Marshall deliberated on how he should tell her. He didn’t want to scare her away. He shook his head, a small smile tugging at his lips. “It can wait.”

He led her to the kitchen without allowing her the time to probe at what he wanted to say. It bugged her to no end when someone wanted to tell you something – and tells you they want to tell you something – but then decide not to.

They sat down at the table as Marshall’s chef served the food. It was chicken alfredo, her favorite.

“Are you gonna be staying with us?”

The question caught Aubrey off guard. She turned towards Hailie with a forced smile, “Well-“

“Dad said you were,” the youngest daughter piped up, “because the stork is going to bring you guys a baby since you love each other, right dad? And if you love each other than you have to live together.” Whitney twirled her fork in the spaghetti, attempting to shove it in her mouth – although more landed back on the plate instead of in her mouth.

Aubrey’s smile quickly fell and a glare took its spot. She slowly turned towards Marshall. “Really? Is that what dad said?” she questioned through gritted teeth.

Marshall chuckled nervously. “I had to tell her something,” he reasoned. “She’s only six.”

“You do love him, don’t you?” Whitney asked again, her big, round eyes focused on Aubrey.

“Uh, um, well,” Aubrey stuttered, unsure of how to go about answering the question. She wanted to say yes not because it would put the six year-olds mind at ease, but because it was true. She loved Marshall. She loved everything about him – his perverseness, his humor, his personality, his di-… well, you know.

She blushed at her own thoughts, in turn causing Marshall to cock his eyebrow. “I do,” she answered, smiling. She made sure to glare at Marshall one more time, mouthing “You’re dead.”

///

Dinner wasn’t as disastrous as Aubrey expected it to be. In fact, the girls kept their questions relatively easy – well, after Whitney’s question anyway.

Aubrey was sitting in the living room, flipping through the channels while Marshall tucked Whitney in. Hailie and Alaina were in bed as well.

“You know, you owe me a thank you.”

Aubrey raised her head, her eyes locking with his pool of blue. “For what?”

“Getting’ you knocked up,” he answered in all seriousness. “Cuz, damn, your tits look huge.” He emphasized the word ‘huge.’

Aubrey debated about throwing a nearby pillow at him, or even the remote, but she was too worn out. He wasn’t worth the last ounce of her energy. Instead, she lifted her hand and extended her middle finger.

“When and where?” he chuckled.

Aubrey groaned, “You’re impossible.”

Marshall slumped down next to her on the couch, placing his feet comfortably on the coffee table. He let out a deep sigh, closing his eyes.

Aubrey studied him. He looked so peaceful and innocent. Even with his gorgeous blues in hiding, the man was nothing short of handsome. “Hey, Marshall,” Aubrey fiddled with her words.

“Yeah?” he asked, keeping his eyes shut.

She kept silent, pondering on her next move. Should she tell him? No. He would laugh at her. Would he? Maybe he wouldn’t? She groaned, giving into her desire.

Before Marshall could open his eyes, he felt something against his lips. He smirked and kissed her back, his hand cupping her cheek. She slowly parted her lips, allowing him access. He gladly took the invitation.

Their tongues danced around, fighting for dominance. Before their passion could go further, Aubrey pulled back. “I love you.”

She regretted expressing those words the moment they left her mouth. His reaction was enough to shatter her heart.

His face fell as soon as she said those words.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, I think I hold the title for longest delay in updates. Sorry ladies, I had MAJOR writer’s block for this story. Even now I don’t feel like I’m back fully, but I had to start writing somehow to beat this writer’s block. Hopefully it’s not too bad – bear with me. A big THANK YOU to all my readers. You guys really make my day with your comments. I wouldn’t trade you guys for the world…well, unless that world was Eminem then I’m sorry guys, but you got to go. Comment greatly appreciated as always :)