Haunted Halls

1/1

Nobody ever wanted to believe me when I told them I was different. No one wanted to admit that I have the ability to see ghost and have seen more than any human should ever have to see. I wasn’t always this way though, once upon a time I was a normal, average teenage girl. It all started one year ago exactly; the wreck that changed my life forever.

One Year Earlier

I was beyond excited; I was finally going to see my all time favorite band in concert at a weekend music festival. If my parents knew I was going to risk driving in a foot of snow for a concert, they would have locked me in a windowless room. As it is, I didn’t tell them I was going so I was standing in my room, smiling at the window.

I left a note and slipped out of my window; by the time they found me missing I’d be in a mosh pit. The roads were clear in most areas but I had to navigate through some snow drifts. I was within ten miles from the venue when my wheel jerked and my car fish tailed before it began to spin. I might have had my license for a year, but at that moment I felt very young and unprepared.

The world had suddenly been sent into slow motion, as I crossed the margin, I could see out my passenger side window two truck head lights bearing down on me. I closed my eyes and asked God why before the truck slid and slammed into my passenger door. It was a painful ride as my car was sent flipping down the road and into the snowy ditch. Blackness claimed my vision and my mind.

Things came back foggily, lights in blue and red reflected off the snow, someone touched my wrist. I blinked as they pulled me from the car. “Bad cut to the… trauma… broken…” Their voices went in and out before blackness came over me again.

I couldn’t seem to breathe and as the bright lights rushed by overhead I could feel my heart slowing down drastically. I could hear a doctor’s muffled, “She’s going into cardiac arrest!”

“Get a crash cart in here now!” Another yelled. Suddenly all the air left my body and I began to float in a bright light.

A garden opened up before my eyes and the light shined beautifully. “Hello Haley.” I looked over to see a gorgeous woman sitting on the edge of a fountain.

“Where am I?” I asked.

“The in between. On the earth, your heart has stopped. In heaven, your time is not yet up,” she answered with a smile.

“Oh so how long will I be… stuck?”I questioned as I ran my fingers over the petals of a dark purple rose.

“Not long so I must advise you quickly, the path you are given, do not let it take over. Good luck,” she grinned and then I was reeling backwards through the open air, colliding with my body.

“We’ve got a pulse, she’s back team! Good job.” The doctor moved to my ear, “Can you hear me Ms. Davis?”

The pain set in suddenly as feeling kicked back into overdrive and I moaned in agony, “oww.”

I was in the hospital for two weeks and my parents weren’t even angry when they found out, they were only relieved that I was alive. Those two weeks made me realize though that I’d brought something back from my near death experience, I’d seen two hundred and twenty one ghosts so far.

As the months passed, the occurrences became even more frequent. Then, five months after the accident, my parents sent me away to a unique boarding school. One that specialized in people like me, people who had abilities that others couldn’t understand.

One of my closest friends from the school could move thing with her mind; her boyfriend’s ability was that he could control people’s emotions. Our classes were just like normal schools only they were designed to encourage the usage of our gifts. I received a guide to help teach me how to control the ghosts and it made some days more bearable than others.

After six months, things were going well, that is until last week. Another friend in our little cluster died a tragic death. She had been trying to use her mind to manipulate a snake’s conscious when someone had walked in, causing a break in her concentration. The result of her mind snapping from the snakes had been a frightened snake that took Jamie as a predator and it had bit her neck. She had died from the venom before any of the healers could get to her.

Now she was angry. She was much too powerful for me to keep at bay. “Jamie, you can’t just go after Brad, e didn’t know you had that snake out of its home,” I tried to explain.

“Oh but he did, it was the only way he could get rid of me. Haley, you have to help me,” she begged.

“I don’t do revenge work for ghosts,” I responded.

She let out a menacing laugh that made me shiver, “Oh we’ll see about that.” I felt a shove and turned to the window to face the now violent ghost only she wasn’t there. My chest suddenly tightened and my head began to pound as the world started to fade and the words ‘don’t let it take over,’ whispered through my foggy mind.

Brad came around the corner and saw Haley sitting on the tiled floor, starring down the hall. “There you are Haley, what are you doing?” when she didn’t respond he stepped closer, “Haley?”

She turned and looked up at him with a wicked grin. Her bright blue eyes were now a dark brown. “Did you miss me Brad?” There was only one person that voice and those eyes could belong to: Jamie Markim.