Dead at 15

July (the Nerd)

I looked up from my Wuthering Heights novel. I narrowed my eyes in irritation. I couldn’t stand noise when I was reading, especially over something as painfully moronic as this. I noticed that October, as well, was shooting the two arguing girls steely glares as she peered over her…book. God knows what she was writing in there. I knew September had tried to steal the thing once when October was in the shower but August gave her quite a nasty black eye instead. Mom wasn’t pleased and I was embarrassed to even be related to someone as crude as her.

“September! Give it back to her already,” August commanded as September held November’s favorite teddy bear, Mr. Wobbles, up above her head. November was jumping and wailing as September wore a rather triumphant smile.
“No, why should I?” September retorted in her manufactured high-pitched tone.
“You’re pissing us all off, that’s why.”
“So? November dropped my favorite lip gloss in the toilet, so I’m gonna rip Mr. Wobbles’ head off!”
“Don’t! I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” November cried in desperation. December walked up to her best friend and hugged her comfortingly.
“You’re such a baby November,” September sneered.

December glared with as much venom as she could muster, and kicked September hard in the shins. She snatched the bear out of her hands.
“Be mean to Vember again and I’ll, I’ll…smash all of your nail polish!” She said then handed the bear to November, smiling. “Here you go.”
“Touch my stuff and I’ll kill you little brat!” And September ran off. I turned back to my book. My sisters could be so immature.

“She’s such a wimp,” August stated. “Too scared she’ll break a nail.” The three then proceeded to imitate September and I shut my book. No one could read in that level of noise. Kids frustrated me. I’d never want them, ever.

***

“What’s up your butt?” September asked as I entered our bedroom. I adjusted my glasses angrily. I wore them purely for cosmetic reasons. They made me look just that little bit more sophisticated.
“This family is so annoying. I can’t believe I’m related to these…people! I’m really starting to think that Mom had an affair,” I replied. I’d been considering that theory for a couple of months. It was possible that she got bored of Dad. She’s smarter than him, could’ve hooked up with someone from the office.

“I know right? August is just so…ugh! She listens to crap, like they can’t even sing and not one of them is cute. Not to mention how disgusting she dresses…” She ranted on and I tuned out. September was extremely self-absorbed and was only ever looking for a chance to either talk about how awesome she was or gossip about August. She would never believe that she was often the antagonist in situations. I placed Wuthering Heights on the end of my bed and took out my history notes. I had an essay due next week and I couldn’t wait to start on it. I already had the introduction planned out in my head.

***

“Fuck July! Turn the damn light off! It’s after midnight!” I slowly turned away from my desk to see a disgruntled and sleepy September. Her caramel brown hair was near perfect. Only she could sleep and have her hair look that good. My almost-black colored hair was always tied up in a sensible ponytail due to the fact that I could never get it to do what I wanted.
“Okay.” Wait, after midnight? I’m fifteen! I smiled sleepily before getting ready for bed. After that, I placed my glasses on the nightstand, and flipped the lamp off, passing out in my bed.

***

“Happy birthday honey. Here’s your lunch. You’re staying at Lauren’s tonight right?”
“Yes, I am,” I said. I then kissed Mom’s cheek and grabbed my lunch, shoving it in my bag.
“Bye July. Stay safe okay? Call if you want to come home.”
“Sure Mom. Bye!” And I ran to catch my bus.

I took an advanced summer program at my school. I didn’t care what people thought. I liked school, and I liked the teachers. I hated the kids though. I figured that they’d all be working for me one day anyway so I tolerated their taunting for the time being. I attended the only private girls’ school in the ‘district’. I’d actually received a partial scholarship due to my high-test scores and I was really grateful for it.

Anyway, I wasn’t going to die like the others. I was smart. The others made choices that really weren’t logical. Surely I would never do anything that would put myself in danger like they did.

***

“July! Hey, happy birthday! Can you believe Mr. Peters gave us another chapter to read by Monday?” I smiled at Lauren, my best friend. We understood each other perfectly.
“I can believe it actually.”
“Does he think we’re in elementary school or something? Four chapters would’ve been more acceptable for us right?”
“Exactly, but God forbid that some girls would feel ‘challenged’.” We laughed. Unlike a third of our peers, we went to a high profile academy for a decent education.

***

“Finished!” Lauren yelled. We in her bedroom doing extra math tests we'd gotten off our teacher for fun. Lauren lived half an hour between my house and school, practically the middle of nowhere.
“So? I finished six seconds before you did,” I pointed out.
“I’m getting so slack with my algebra!” I nodded my head.
“Just a little. Let’s mark then?”
“Okay. Ready, set…go!” We flipped over the answer sheet and began marking.

“One hundred percent,” I said with a smirk once I’d finished. My nose twitched. An almost smokey stench hung in the air for some reason. I shrugged it off.
“Only ninety-four! Oh my God! This is terrible! My average has totally gone down.” Tears leaked from Lauren’s eyes and I hugged her.
“It’s okay Lauren.”
“Oh July! I’m awful!”
“You’ll just have to work harder next time.” She smiled.
“Yeah.”
“So do you think we should check on the cookies now?” I asked.
“Good idea.”

I hadn’t noticed the orange glow from under the door. We opened it only to receive faces full of black smoke.
“Oh my God!” We both yelled. We quickly ran out into the hall only to find the wooden staircase was on fire. Curtains were ablaze and Lauren and I could not stop coughing.
“We’ve…got…to…get out,” I choked out. The violent orange fire had climbed the walls and the flames were now eating at Lauren’s bedroom door. We were surrounded. All I could think was that I wasn’t supposed to die, I was the smart one!

Not smart enough obviously.

July Roxanne Lambert
07/27/89-07/27/04
♠ ♠ ♠
Eh, I don't like this chapter and I didn't like it when I wrote it eight months ago. Ah, well. Thanks to those who have commented. I really appreciate it.