Isn't It Ironic?

First Date

“What do you expect I’m supposed to do?” The elder lady, who smelt like cat piss, yelled at me as I searched for her insurance papers.
“I’m sorry, ma’am. I’m looking for them right now.” I replied continually scattering through the numerous piles of papers.
“You know, if you organized your desk a little bit, you might be able to find them.” She said peering down at me with her dark old eyes.
How I so wanted to bitch her out for saying the truth, but I held it in. I needed this job and the money before college in the fall. I looked over at Jake who seemed to be having a blast listening to this. I found her papers and handed them over nicely. She huffed and puffed under her breath as she stampeded away.
“She is right,” Jake said rolling over to my side in his chair. “If you were a little bit more organized you wouldn’t have any trouble finding papers and stuff.”
“Oh, thanks Jake,” I said swirling around to face him. “I didn’t realize that.”
“Well on my break, I can stop by Wally World and get some materials to make your life easier.” He suggested pushing his chair back to his side of the desk. “I go for break in a half an hour.”
“You would do that for me?” I asked raising my eyebrow at his suspicious nature.
“Oh, yeah,” he said as a patient came up to him.
I turned back to my desk and stared at the many piles of stacked papers. He was right. I needed to get more organized. I continued to work normally when he left to get me some binders and labels. I ended up with a patient who lost his room and needed to find it. After an hour of fussing around the hospital with him, he finally told me that he remembered where it was and I made sure he was in the right room. When I returned to my desk, everything was clean and organized.
“What is this?” I asked Jake before taking my seat next to him.
“I paid that poor man twenty bucks to keep you busy,” he said smirking at me.
“You managed to organize everything and make me miss my break. Jake how can I every repay you?” I asked glaring at him.
“Go out to dinner with me tonight.” Jake said staring straight into my eyes.
“What?” I asked surprised at his request.
“We need a first date, wouldn’t you agree?”
“Uh…I guess so?”
“Alright, I’ll pick you up at seven.” Jake replied before going back to his organizing of his things.
I smiled and turned to look at everything organized. He had binders for insurance which was alphabetized, and billing and codes had their own binder. I was impressed and excited for tonight. It had been a long time since I’ve gone a date that actually mattered. My sister had always told me that boys are easier to hook up with, not have relationships with. For some reason, this feels easy. I mean I know that if things happen, there will be hard times but I am thinking too far into this. I always do that.
The rest of work went easy and quick. I got home and told my mother, who was trying to make an excuse to make me not go. Then she realized she had the night to herself and was helping me get ready. I took a shower and let my natural curls dry naturally. I put on as little make up as I could without looking washed out and finally it was 6:45. I smiled and relaxed myself by making faces in the mirror. I am childish but it makes me less nervous.
I sat down in front of the television, waiting to see his headlights pull into the driveway. I could feel my heart beating faster and he wasn’t even here yet. I started biting my nails until I saw a car pull in. Then I got up and filled with excitement stood by the door. My mom laughed at me as I waited for him to ring the doorbell. When it rang, I felt butterflies in my tummy. I opened the door and smiled.
He had on Hollister jeans and an American eagle tee, and he smelt like Landon but better. I looked up into his green eyes and laughed letting him inside. I could tell he was nervous. He greeted my mother himself and she seemed very pleased. After the normal awkward five minutes we left. He opened his car door for me and I was beginning to feel like a princess. He got in the car and we pulled out into the highway.
“So you excited for tonight,” he asked as we pulled up to the nearby stoplight.
“No,” I said sarcastically. “In fact I’m only doing this to even the score.”
“Oh,” he said laughing at me. “Well I’m sure you did.”
“So where are we going tonight?” I asked as the light turned green.
“It’s a surprise.” He said taking my hand in his.
I smiled and laughed as he played with my palm. I watched the stars pass by as we drove down HW 90. I gazed over at him and he was singing along to the American Rejects. Remembering the lyrics I sang along. This wasn’t feeling like the normal awkward date…it was feeling natural. I’m sure that’s a good thing but like I said earlier I don’t want to think too much about it and ruin it.
When we arrived at the surprise, I was taken by it. It wasn’t a restaurant. We were parked at a park and down by the river I saw a table with candles. I couldn’t believe this. It was a beautiful night and it was my first date where something was cute and creative like this. He smiled as he opened my door and held out his hand. I took it and looked around as I got out the car.
The river walk pier, where our dinner was at, was lit up with tiki torches and candles. I could see a blanket and a stereo near the table. He had this whole night planned out. He put his arms around me as we walked down onto the pier. I saw yellow roses in a vase located in the middle of the table. I noticed a cooler and picnic basket full of food as he sat me down at the table.
“What do you think?” He asked sitting across from me.
“This…this is beautiful. How did you have so much time to do this?” I asked as he turned the radio on to soft music.
“I had help,” he said before bending down to the food. “What would you like to eat first, pizza rolls or ice cream?”
“Seriously?” I asked looking down at his basket. “Pizza rolls please.”
We ate our pizza rolls and engaged in small get to know each other talk. His favorite food is chocolate covered strawberries and favorite color is dark navy blue. I told him mine was ice cream and lime green. We laughed and finished our rolls. Then Jake stood up and crouched down next to me. Jake pulled out his hand out of his pocket as a beautiful song came on. He held out for me and asked me to dance under the stars. I agreed and grasped his hand.
He pulled me into his arms and whispered the lyrics in my ear, “You know I'm gonna find a way to let you have your way with me, you know I'm gonna find the time to catch you and, and make you stay. I don't care what clothes you wear, it's time to love and I don't care. You know I'm gonna find a way to let you have your way with me.”
I looked up at him and smiled. I was happy and I knew that he knew about it. I also knew that he was as happy as I was. His arms made me feel safe again and I am letting him in. I am scared, scared to death. I think it’s a risk I’m going to have to take because I know that if I don’t, I may regret it.
“You have really beautiful hazel eyes. For some reason, they remind me of winter.” Jake said lifting my chin.
“Thank you,” I whispered as he came 90 to my kiss.

I gave in and kissed him. This time it was soft and caring, a perfect first kiss. That other kiss was more like an attention getter with passion. Kissing him now, I felt him open up in a different more intimate way than before. He continued dancing with me when the song ended before we went back to have some ice cream. Before I knew it, we were covered in ice cream and laughing at the end of the pier. We sat down next to each other and he held me in his arms as we watched fireflies graze above the river.
“So do you think that I can surprise you like this every day?” he asked tickling my arm by touching it so softly.
“I hope so,” I said before kissing him myself.