End of the Ocean.

you better look out below.

“Yami! Come on!”

Hand in hand, the boy broke into a run, dragging the other at first. But within a second or two he managed to stop stumbling over his feet and ran with Yugi, the wind blowing back their hair and whipping their cheeks, whirring into their eardrums.

Yami let go of Yugi’s hand, allowing him to race ahead, his energy greater than Yami’s. Still running behind him, he watched the other’s legs carry him faster, the sand sinking beneath them with each step, the particles flying as their bare feet left hurried imprints.

Forgetting that normally he’d be worn out by now, he realized he had no idea why Yugi had this sudden desire to run alongside the sea, but it didn’t exactly matter. He was running, he got Yami to chase after whatever the boy was eager to find.

He didn’t register that the sand had melded into wood, and that their steps now produced clanks and that the blue was closer than he thought.

Yugi had leapt off the dock that stretched into the sea, the splash snapping Yami into reality as he reached the edge. Though he tried to stop, he was too late, as he had already gotten to the end, and he stumbled off, landing awkwardly face-first into the water.

He brought his head back into the air, his breathing labored, his heart racing. Looking to Yugi, who also was a little worn from the exercise they just randomly did, he managed to catch his breath enough to question him.

“Why’d you want to run all the way across the shore?”

The smile he already had on his lips grew, the light in his eyes shining with the golden sun above them and he laughed and that alone made Yami’s heartbeat, which had started to slow, accelerate again.

“I wanted to find the end of the ocean. And we did.”

His expression faded from confused curiosity and melted into a warm, content smile that he saved for only Yugi.

“This isn’t the end of it, Yugi. We’re only at the beginning.”