Move Along

if it matters at all

“I hate you, Logan!” Amy Connors screamed at her boyfriend, before stepping out into the road. Her fists were clenched, her face flushed with anger. She turned and glared at him, right before a car collided with her. She flew up in the air, limp like a rag doll, before falling into the road, broken.

Logan Thayer sat up in bed, breathing heavily. His sheets were damp with sweat and his hair was glued to his clammy forehead. He breathed deeply, calming his nerves.

“Just a nightmare,” he reassured himself, before throwing the covers away from his sticky body. He reached over to the nightstand and picked up his phone. One message.

FLOWERS? IS THAT YOUR PATHETIC WAY OF APOLOGISING?

He swallowed hard and pushed his hair out of his face. Amy was still alive then. She had to be to send her usual text, disappointed and dissatisfied. Logan cradled his phone in his palm for a moment, wondering whether he should text her back or not. It was 4AM. She was probably sleeping, he had been the insomniac in their relationship after all. So, placing his phone down, Logan curled up in his bed pulling the thin sheets up to his chin, ready for more nightmares to haunt him.

-

Monday morning. The streets were busy with businessmen rushing to work, kids sloping off to school and mothers out shopping.

Amy Connors was stuck behind the counter at Pretty Petals. By choice, of course. She was a college drop out, surviving a mere six weeks, before deciding to give up. Amy had once been a dreamer, but all of those dreams had gone, and now she chose to lead a dead end, simple life.

She lived with her mother, earned minimum wage and blew all her money on parties and brand new clothes for said parties.

She glanced out of the shop window, her view obscured by mountains of exotic flowers. A heavy sigh escaped her lips, as her phone buzzed on the counter top. The name ‘Dickhead’ flashed across the screen, so she knew not to answer.

“Leave me alone,” she grumbled, pressing ‘call reject’.

The bell above the door tinkled and a familiar face entered the shop, a bunch of lilies clasped in his hand. He raised his eyebrows at her and walked over to the counter, placing the bunch down.

“Justin, if they’re from who I think they are, could you please go and give them to some unsuspecting pretty girl outside?” Amy glanced out of the window, searching for the ultimate unsuspecting pretty girl.

Justin Godsey sighed and followed her gaze out of the window. “At least read the card,” he plucked it from the middle of the bunch and handed it to her.

I’M was written in Logan’s messy scrawl. She looked at Justin. “What the hell is he playing at? He keeps sending me noteless flowers and now this is all I get?”

Justin shrugged. “All will become clear, I guess.” And leaving the bunch behind, he left swiftly.

With a scowl, Amy picked up her phone and found Logan’s number. When he didn’t answer, she let it go to voicemail. “You! Logan Thayer, are an idiot! If you think I need flowers, you’re insane. You know, I watch guys running around this store, buying our cheapest flowers as last minute gifts for girls they’ve been with for weeks, not four fucking years. I can’t believe I wasted that much time with you. Just, stop sending me flowers and let me get over you.” She stabbed the ‘end call’ button and slammed her phone down on the counter.

During the course of the day, Amy managed to water all the plants in the shop, curl a silly amount of ribbon and sell a couple of cactus to some students and a bunch of roses to a love struck man in a suit. Overall, her day had been dull and slow. So when five o clock rolled around, she grabbed her bag and shrugged her jacket on, ready to leave and lock up, when the bell above the door tinkled.

Amy cursed and closed her eyes, her back to the door. “We’re closed,” she announced through gritted teeth.

“Sigh still says ‘open’.” A familiar voice cut through the silence.

Slowly, Amy turned around. Standing before her were three more sky high bunches of flowers – pink carnations, purple orchids and white roses. Each bunch was hiding the face of the boy carrying it.

“I told him to stop sending me these,” Amy frowned, taking hold of the pink carnations and revealing Ryan Steele.

“When does Logan ever do as he’s told?” Ryan asked, dipping into the bunch and retrieving a card, handing it to Amy.

SORRY.

She sighed and took the orchids, placing them on the floor to reveal Josh Hollister he smiled apologetically at her, before wordlessly reaching into the bunch and taking the card out.

PLEASE

Tyler Horton placed the white roses down on the floor and raised his eyebrows at Amy. “He’s been through a lot of shit and trouble for this, so at least consider,” he advised, before handing her the card.

FORGIVE

“I’m sorry, please forgive?” She looked around at her ex boyfriend’s best friends, each looking at her with hopeful eyes. She scoffed. “Whatever, you three need to leave, so I can close the shop.” She turned to the door, and her breath caught in her throat at the sight of Logan standing in the doorway.

He held out a card to her, which she took.

ME.

“Forgive you?” She looked up at him. “No.” She pushed past him to get outside, and he followed her. Great, another argument in the street.

“How many times do you want me to apologise?”

“Apologise all you want, Logan, I’m not about to forgive you.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m done. You cheated on me, with that awful girl, who put it all over the internet for everyone to see. How could you?”

“I didn’t! That’s your problem, Ames. You always jump to conclusions. You dumped me before finding out the truth. I didn’t cheat on you. I’m sorry you got caught up in this mess and I’m sorry you get dragged into these pathetic rumours. But I will never cheat on you, no matter what.”

Amy folded her arms and looked across the street. “How do I know you’re not lying?”

“Because, you know me, and you know I wouldn’t lie to you about this.”

Amy glanced at him, before looking across the road. “I don’t know. Let me figure this out, okay?” She stepped out into the road, just as a car was zooming down the street.

Logan grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the way, just as the car whizzed past them.

Amy looked at him for a moment, before pulling his face towards hers and kissing him sweetly. “Forgiven, I think,” she smiled, before kissing him again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not that good, but I've had this in my head for days now. Comments are appreciated.