Sequel: Second Impressions

First Impressions

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

Two weeks after prom, Mom's flower shop managed to take off into instant business. I started working until school ended to ten thirty. Brad would work from five to closing time.

It got a little tiring, but it made me happy that Mom was happy, so I didn't say anything about it. Everything with Brad was going great anyways, so nothing really clouded my mind. I was as happy as a clam.

Another week went by and found Brad and I at the shop by ourselves, joking around stupidly.

"I swear, if you don't stop then this vase will shatter right over your damn head!" I shriek seriously, hiding behind the counter from Brad. It's ten o'clock at night, so it's very rare to see someone come in.

He lets out a bark of laughter, making me peek over the counter top to see him set the can of silly string down. He glances at me expectantly.

"There's one still in your pocket." I call over to him. He opens his mouth to retort. "And I don't believe that's your male anatomy either."

Sighing with a roll of the eyes, he pulls out the other can of silly string and sets it by the first, putting his hands up in surrender.

"Happy?" He questions me as I stand up slowly. I smile impishly.

"Very." He walks over to me as I pull out the register and start counting the money to see how the day went. I feel his fingers slide over me and spread out across my stomach, just sitting there as he looks over my shoulder. I turn my head to smile at him.

I'm happy that he hasn't gotten bored with me, just like he said he wouldn't. We haven't gone passed anything besides the occasional make-out session, which makes me feel more secure that he doesn't need something else more. We've had a couple more fights, but only over stupid subjects. Like: Who would win, Batman or Spiderman?

We didn't talk for two days because he still thinks that Spiderman would beat Batman. Batman has all of the technology, wouldn't it make sense that he would win? All Spiderman can do is climb walls and shoot webs. What kind of power is that?

But, besides that minor argument, we have mostly sat on our opposite roofs, talking at night when we can't sleep. Everything is good.

"Hey, we did really good today." I tell him excitedly. "About thirty dollars more than yesterday!"

"Terrific." He mumbles, nuzzling into my neck. I gather up the money, stepping out of his grasp to go into Mom's office and put the money in the safety deposit box. When I come back, he's glaring at me slightly.

"What's your problem?" I ask, bouncing over to him excitedly. "Maybe we'll get a raise!"

"Wow, only open a month and a half and you're asking for a raise." Brad states, rolling his eyes while his hands wrap around me again. My heart speeds up a little from the touch. Nope, the spark hasn't been lost, it's still there.

He sets me up on the counter, standing between my legs while I play with his hair.

"Do you believe in God?" I question, the thought popping into my mind. He presses his head further into my hands, much like a cat wanting to be petted more.

"What's with the sudden question?" He shoots back. I shrug, tugging a little at his locks before letting my hands fall into my lap.

"I was just wondering." I retort, somewhat childishly. "What if you died? People who don't believe in God don't go to heaven. I would just like to know where you would be."

There's a slight pause as he stares into my curious eyes, slightly confused but understanding them.

"Yeah, I believe in God. I believe that he'll come and save us from this hell on Earth someday. Do you?" He stares at me. I purse my lips.

"Yep. There has to be a God! There's a bible about it. Plus, evolution sounds stupid. We evolved from monkeys? Please," I wave off with my hand, "If anything, I'd want to evolve from an elephant but you don't see that happening."

Brad snickers at the remark, leaning in to drape his arms around my waist and rest his head against my chest.

The butterflies enter my stomach instantly, my heart even speeding up. To me, it still seemed like I was in a dream. Brad may be the first person I have ever liked but if they're supposed to make you feel like this, what does love feel like?

I don't think I can handle anything more than butterflies and a racing heart, otherwise I'd have a heart attack at seventeen years old!

"I love listening to your heartbeat." Brad murmurs lowly, pressing his ear further into my chest. I roll my eyes despite my thoughts.

"Sure, that's what you love."

He chuckles and stands up straight, pulling my head towards his chest. I put my ear against him, listening to the thump-thump thump-thump sound. I push him away with a crooked grin.

"Yes, beautiful heartbeat. I think we should close up early tonight." I yawn, cracking my neck. He steps back to let me off the counter and hands the keys to me while I store the money in the safety deposit box.

He drives home, pecking me on the lips and saying goodnight before I walk through my front door.

When I enter through the door, Mom glances up from the couch to smile at me warmly. I walk over to give her a peck on the forehead, saying goodnight, and going upstairs for bed.

Life couldn't get any better than this.