Sequel: Second Impressions

First Impressions

CHAPTER EIGHT

I wake up to some sort of a ringing noise, thinking it's the alarm clock; I slam my hand down on it. The ringing continues. I groan and roll over, falling off the bed and landing with a 'thud' and an 'oomf!' I sit up; the covers wrapped around me and pick up the phone.

"Who the hell are you and what do you wa-"

"Autum?" I hear a voice cut me off and the sound of a crying baby in the background.

"Oh, hell no."

"Look, just get over here. It won't stop crying and it's driving me crazy! I've done everything!" Brad pleads into the phone. I groan and peek over my bed and look out the window to see Brad standing at his, holding the baby upside down by the ankle, away from him.

"Maybe it has something to do with the way you're holding it." I mumble tiredly.

"No! It doesn't! This thing is possessed or something!" He screams. I cringe and hold the phone away from my ear.

"Look, I'm tired. Good-night." I hang up on his begging and start snuggling up on the floor, but the phone rings again. I slowly answer it.

"What now?"

"I promise, if you come over and get this thing to shut up, I will buy you chocolate strawberries everyday for a month." I instantly perk up at the sound of my favorite food.

"Alright, unlock your window." I then hang up.

I grab a gray, oversized hoodie and slip it on over my green tank top and slip on my combat boots. I probably look ridiculous with my hoodie, combat boots, and booty shorts, but it's Brad. Who cares? It was hot in my room, but cooler outside. I unlock my window and push it up and climb out onto the little roof I had outside of it. Brad had the same thing, leaving only one foot between the two roofs. I jump over the space and enter through Brad's window.

"Ah, the beauty of sleep deprivation." I say. Brad's hair was all messed up, sticking up random directions, his shirt was wrinkled and his shorts weren't doing so well either. He had bags under his eyes and looked like he really needed some cold water dumped on him.

"I could say the same about you." He says, eyeing my outfit.

And yet, despite the sleeplessness, he still manages to make a witty remark. That takes talent.

"Hey, I'm only doing this for the chocolate strawberries." I say, taking the baby away from him. Brad stares at me, almost amazed, when it immediately stops crying. I look up at him and grin. "Oh yeah, look who has some skills."

He snorts and flops down on his bed. I sit at the foot of the bed, cooing to the plastic doll. Crazy, I know, but what else was I supposed to do? I yawn, the baby yawns, and Brad yawns. I start giving the baby back to Brad, but it starts fussing, so I pull it back to me. The clock beside Brad's bed said 2:30 a.m.

"You owe me big time for this." I growl sleepily. He sits up beside me, rubbing his eyes.

"I know."

"Just as long as you know." I reply and set the baby down. It starts fussing again, making me groan and pick it back up again. "How much longer with this thing?"

"Two weeks." Brad says, looking at his calendar. I gasp and almost start to cry.

"It's only been a week?! Oh my gosh!?" I sit further back on Brad's bed, sitting Indian style now. Brad rubs his head and looks at the baby.

"How come it likes you?" He questions, raising an eyebrow at me as I continuously poke its nose, making it laugh.

"Because I'm just awesome like that." I chuckle. I look up once I hear no response, but then I get one.

"You have just the ego, don't you?" Brad asks, looking up at my face. I grin.

"This coming from the king of egos? Mine is like an egg compared to your dinosaur." I scoff. Then I hear something I thought I would never hear from Brad. A laugh. "Ah! He laughs! He laughs!"

"No, its just-how do you come up with this stuff?" He asks through laughs. I quirk an eyebrow.

"What?"

"Everything you say all the time. It's just so… random." He says, settling down. I put my pointer finger to my lips before coming up with a reasonable answer.

"I'm just a genius." I shrug. Brad snorts.

"Not genius enough to get passed Algebra 1."

"Hey! Neither are you!" I whine.

"Atleast I can solve a simple equation, unlike you. Walking disaster? What's up with that?" He asks. I shrug again.

"I don't know, because I'm disastrous, maybe?" I suggest. He shakes his head and yawns again, making me yawn, and making the baby yawn.

This was going to be one long night.

I hear a small gasp and flutter my eyes open, closing them instantly when they meet the glaring sun. I groan and turn around, snuggling against the warmth of something else. I snuggle even closer and curl into a tighter ball, my legs getting cold. I feel the source of the warmness move towards me, making me even warmer.

Wait.

It moves?

I shoot up and away from the warmth, falling off an unfamiliar bed. I let out a little squeal as I fall backwards, my feet sticking up in the air. I then hear a small whining sound before it stops, then hear the rustling of sheets. I sit up, rubbing my head and looking around at my surroundings.

Oh boy.

"Autum? I wouldn't expect you here so early." Mrs. Flitcher says, smiling sweetly. I give her a look of embarrassment. I quickly get up and see Brad starting to wake up too.

"Autum? What the hell are you doing he- Oh." He stops himself, remembering about last night and his continuous whines to shut the baby up.

"S-sorry! Brad was just needing help with the baby and I-" Mrs. Flitcher raises her hand up for silence, so I shut my mouth.

"It's alright, I understand. Would you like some pancakes?" She asks, completely ok to the fact that me, a girl, was sleeping in her son's room, in his bed, with him.

"Uh-um-er-sure?" I stutter out, still in shock that she would even be ok with this. She smiles and leaves. I turn to Brad and give him a look. He shrugs at me and throws the covers off, revealing him in only his boxers. My hand covers my mouth.

"What?" He asks. I shake my head before feeling my legs get cold. I look down and realize I'm still wearing my combat boots and booty shorts. I groan for the umpteenth time in the past two weeks and hop on Brad's bed, covering my legs with his sheets. He looks at me, but doesn't say anything, leaving across the hallway.

"This is awkward." I say in a sing-song voice to myself. I then hear come whining the baby on the other side of the bed. I roll over and stand up, bending down to pick it up. I shoot back up and turn around when I hear a wolf-whistle. "And this is even more awkward."

"Love the shorts, Autum. You should wear those more often." Trev says, leaning against the doorway.

"What are you doing here?" I ask Trev. He uncrosses his arms and makes his way over to me, plopping down on the bed.

"It's Saturday, I usually come over on Saturdays for Mrs. Flitcher's pancakes. Are you staying for them?" He asks his eyes on my legs the whole time. I nod, not that he would see it. When he doesn't look up, I whack him with the baby, making it laugh for some reason.

"I leave you alone for one minute and you go hitting people with babies." Brad comments from the doorway, nodding a 'hello' to Trev.

"Well, Trev wouldn't stop staring at my legs." I puff out, holding the baby back to me. Brad's eyes travel down to my legs and stay there for a little bit. "Quit staring!"

"Well, I'm more of a leg guy. Which do you prefer, a leg guy or a boob guy, because honestly, I could go either way." Brad says, smirking at me. I shove the baby at him and cross my arms, storming over to the window.

"Hey, where you going? We like this side of Autum, kind of kinky." Trev says, winking at Brad. I smack him on the head and then climb out of the window, receiving move wolf-whistles from Trev.

I enter my room and walk over to my closet, changing into a pair of faded jeans and a red cut-off shirt. I brush my hair and then pull it back into a pony tail before climbing back out my window and jumping into Brad's room. Brad has actually changed into a pair of dark jeans and a dark blue shirt.

"Ah, and as she ascends through the window, my princess says-"

"Shut up, Trev." I snap at him, sitting on the bed beside him.

"'Shut up, Trev.'" He keeps going with his fairy tale telling voice. I roll my eyes. Trev then turns to Brad. "So, what happened last night?" He asks, looking back and forth between me and Brad. I giggle.

"Nothing happened." Brad says, crossing his arms and leaning back in his desk chair. Trev then looks over to me, who was still giggling.

"Autum was in booty shorts, something had to have happened if she was in booty shorts." Trev says, throwing his hands through the air. I keep giggling.

"What makes you think that?" Brad asks, leaning down and propping his elbows on his knees, folding his hands.

"It's Autum for Heaven's sake!" Trev yells, making me giggle even more.

"So? You've known her for what? A week? What makes you think she doesn't wear those things all the time?" Brad challenges. Trev looks over at me before turning back to Brad.

"Look at her! I might have known her for only a week but I can tell she doesn't wear stuff like that very often." Trev smiles triumphantly. I manage to speak through my giggles.

"It was hot in my room and Brad was whining about the baby." I squeak.

"That's what they all say, and look what happens. You get a baby." Trev says like a great-great grandfather. I giggle some more before Mrs. Flitcher appears in the doorway.

"Pancakes are done."