Status: oneshot; completed

Stray Tears

1/1

The pink haired girl peacefully sat down, taking small sips out of her tea cup. Her eyes were staring at words, her mind unable to decipher the meaning behind them. She couldn’t concentrate, studying now proved to be futile. “Hey, Sakura-chan,” said a cheerful voice right besides the girl. She raised her hand in acknowledgment, but didn’t look up. Her mind was elsewhere, too preoccupied with another task at hand.

“Hey, look at me, Sakura-chan,” demanded the voice, which confused her. She stopped staring at the black letters and looked up. A pained expression etched her face, she was so troubled, her eyes portraying nothing but distraught.

“What is it, Naruto?” she whispered in a defeated voice. Her solemn expression was so bitter; anyone would’ve thought she was dying. “I’m just tired, alright? Just scamper off somewhere, I need to concentrate.” Muttering lies and excuses made her feel worse.

“Stop it.”

Taken by surprise, Sakura raised a delicate pink brow. “Excuse me?” she hissed, her voice gaining a vicious tone. She slammed her clenched fist on the table, startling the blonde boy. “I’m not in the mood, Naruto! Just let me be!” her mighty howl disrupted the eerie silence, making the atmosphere turn awkward and uncomfortable.

A figure appeared before her, inches away from her own. She narrowed her jade eyes, forcing herself to not move. Alarmed beyond reason, she inhaled a shaky breath. “What?” she snapped.

Naruto stared at her, bewildered with her attitude. “This isn’t you, Sakura,” he whispered, his breath caressing her milky skin. He had spoken in such a soft way; it took her a moment to realize he was, indeed, Naruto.

“What do you know?” she countered, feeling like a cornered animal. “What do you know, Naruto?! All this time, pretending to be okay… I’m not okay! I never was, and never will! He left us, can’t you see? He abandoned us, and we surrendered.” Tears streamed down her face. “He’s not coming back.”

Then, the most unexpected thing happened. He softly pecked her lips, causing Sakura’s eyes widen with shock. Silence was spoken between them, until one of them spoke their thoughts:

“It’s not over.”