Status: Slowly working on.

You're My Example, Halvo

Looks Don't Count For Much.

Mint's POV

I glared at the music sheet in front of me. I should be able to do this! In theory, this shouldn't be a problem, I had mastered harder pieces. In practice, however, it wasn't working. The count and the slur of notes just shouldn't have ever been mixed in the first place!

“I'm Halvo, uh, he asked me to come help you.”

"Mr. Botchie? Oh, that's great. I get help, on this shit.” I pointed to the sheets of music in front of me, just wanting to tear the sheet to shreds. If whoever wrote this was still alive, they should be shot. If they're dead, someone needs to invent a time machine, go back in time, and then shoot them.

“I'll help you," he informed, sitting down next to me. I bit my lip, looking down and to the left at him. Usually, the teacher would stand off to the side but he just sat down next to me. He was definitely a little different. It was kind of cool.

"What'd you say your name was?" I asked, taking the pencil and scribbling something on the paper.

"Halvo," he answered instantly. I bit my lip, glancing over at him before looking back at the sheet music.

"It suits you," I mumbled, scanning the music, my fingers ghosting over the keys, slowing the time down mentally to try and get a feel for the section that was giving me the most trouble.

"Thanks," he said awkwardly. "And your name is?"

"Mint," I said, taking my pencil and crossing out what I wrote and scribbling something else in it's spot.

"Is that your real name or just a nickname?" he asked, taking a piece of the music and studying it. I smirked a little. I loved that question. There was a different answer to it each time.

"Nickname," I explained. "And no, I'm not telling you my real name." He chuckled a little, putting the music back. His hand brushed against mine, making me turn and get an actual real look at Halvo.

He was...cute, in a sort of awkward way. Long hair, big eyes. He was like that guy that got more adorable the more times you saw him. It was endearing, in a way. Damn, if only he was a couple years younger.

"Mint?" he asked. I hummed, raising my eyebrows at him.

"Your pencil," he said, obviously repeating himself. "Can I borrow it?" I chuckled a little, pulling it out from behind my ear and handing it to him. I guess I zoned out.

"Look, you wrote the time wrong," he informed, pointing at the time I had scribbled. The music was old and faded and I guessed at the timing for the song. "That's probably why you're having so many problems," he explained. I looked at the time he wrote down, the music shifting in my head. I glared at the music, putting my head down on the keys.

"Damn it!" I exclaimed. He chuckled again, making me look up at him. He smiled at me, shrugging.

"It's okay," he sighed. "Now try again," he told me, pointing at the music. I nodded, posing my fingers again to start to play when the bell rang. I made a face, looking over at him.

"Lunch," I informed. "I'll be back in like...five minutes though, if you still want to help me," I added, "I tend to spend lunch in here. And study hall...and before and after school." Music was my life. It was just something that made me feel amazing about myself and I'd do what I'd have to if it meant getting better. Everyone knew that around here, which is why people stayed out of my way. I wasn't a loner, I had friends but me time was me time and my me time was spent in front of the piano. I grabbed my bag, getting up.

"I'll...be here," he informed, nodding. "I think it was only the timing thing..." he trailed off, looking to the music. "You know what, you might run into some other problems. Hate this piece," he added. I nodded, laughing a little bit.

"You and me both," I sighed. I glanced at the door, listening to my stomach rumble. "I'll be back," I informed, giving him another smile before heading for the door. Grab a bagel and a Snapple and I'd be right back where I belong.