Status: Slowly working on.

You're My Example, Halvo

I Can Be.

Being a senior, my day was mostly free periods. It was a special thing for the 'gifted and talented' kids, which was what this class was full of. They would start you off in advanced courses in seventh grade and by the time you're a senior, you're pretty much free to spend the day on what you're talented with, give or take a class or two. I still have to take gym.

When I walked in, I headed straight for the piano, seeing Halvo was already there. It was pretty cool he got to stick around. I still felt kind of bad that I had snapped at him and told him he might not come back but it was the truth.

"Hey Halvo," I greeted, dropping my bag next to the piano. He waved at me, putting the cup of coffee he was holding down.

"I've got a surprise for you," he informed. I raised my eyebrows, sitting down at the piano. He held up a finger, walking away from me. I leaned over the piano, watching him walk away. The pants he was wearing were obviously shrunk in the wash and the fit nicely on him. I'll admit, I had a minor crush on the guy, but it wasn't a big deal. It wasn't like I had a chance with him or anything. He might not have been a teacher, but he was the next best thing.

I looked back at the piano as he headed back over to me, biting my lip and trying to shake the thoughts from my head. I had to stop thinking about it.

"Here," he said, holding out a manila folder. I took it from him, opening it up. I smiled at the sight as my brain took in what I was seeing, looking up at him.

"You found another copy?" I asked happily, looking back down at the sheet music in the folder. Sure enough, it was the piece I was working on, but none of the notes were faded and the time signature was right and all.

"On the internet, don't tell anyone," he said quietly, pressing his finger to his lips. I giggled a little, pulling out the music and setting it up so I could play.

"Your secret's safe with me," I informed, biting my lip as I scanned the music, the notes playing in my head. My fingers ghosted the keys as I did, causing small taps to be emitted but nothing actually came out of the piano. I stopped after forty-four, looking up at him.

"I really appreciate this, Halvo," I said happily, running my hand through my hair so I could see him better. He shrugged, smiling a little.

"It's not a big deal," he mumbled. "You just deserve an actual shot at playing this," he added. He tapped the music, "Now try." I rolled my eyes, getting into position. I counted the rests, starting to play at twenty and going on from there. I continued on through most of the parts I usually screwed up on because now that I could actually read the notes, it all made perfect sense. When I finished, Mr. Botchie was standing next to Halvo.

"Well, there you go!" he exclaimed, clapping Halvo on the back. "Maybe you've got teaching skill after all. Mint's a thousand times better." I smirked a little, nodding.

"All thanks to Halvo," I added, pulling the pencil out from behind my ear to scribble on the page.

"It was all her, really," Halvo said, nodding. "I just fixed her sheet music problem," he explained. Mr. Botchie laughed, shrugging.

"Whatever works. Mint, will you be ready for the concert next week?" he asked. I bit my lip, looking at the music.

"If Halvo can help me some more, I don't see why not." Mr. Botchie nodded, giving Halvo another pat on the back before wandering away. Halvo chuckled awkwardly, scratching his head. I just wanted to giggle, he was so adorable. The more awkward he probably felt, the cuter he was. I just bit my lip, shaking my head and began to play again.