Status: Hiatus.

Lost To Me

Chapter 9

Oh, fuck no. Tiffany was shooting me a triumphant glance over Jack’s shoulder, while Jack attempted to push her off. I could see her knuckles turn white from the strain of digging her fingernails into his shoulder.

Shock froze me in place, seemingly along with the rest of the kids in the diner. Then after a few seconds he thought registered in my head that she was kissing my boyfriend.

I lunged across the table, knocking both Jack and Tiffany down. Jack scrambled out of the way, but I pinned her to the floor. A look of mixed terror and triumph showed on her face and I pushed away the urge to smack the back of her head into the red tiled floor.

My voice came out more as a hiss than anything else when I said to her, “You stay the fuck away from Jack. I don’t care if you are a cheerleader, or if you think you know everything about us or own us. You don’t. Stay away.”

Jack’s hand on my back relaxed my muscles, and I gave Tiffany one last glare before getting to my feet. Ignoring everyone’s stares, I walked straight over to Jack, who laid a ten on our table to cover our drinks.

“Let’s go Hayly. No fights, ‘kay?” He smiled lightly, and led me out the door by the hand. I followed willingly.

He pulled me to his side as we walked and I used my smaller size to my advantage as I slipped under his arm and next to his side. He smiled, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. “Mind telling me why you attacked her?” he asked mildly.

I shrugged, unwilling to answer the question just yet. He squeezed my shoulders slightly, and I sighed. “I waited too long to have you, I don’t wanna lose you Jack,” I told him quietly. I even surprised myself by my sudden mood.

He stopped, looking down at me worriedly and wrapped his arm tighter reassuringly. “Hey, don’t worry. I’m not going anyway, okay? Don’t get all sad on me, you’re not as pretty when you’re sad.”

I smiled slightly, and I laid my head on his side. “You’re comfortable Jacky,” I said suddenly, and he rolled his eyes.

“As you’ve said before. A lot.”

I giggled. I had told him that before, quite a bit. But it was the truth, so I didn’t see any harm in saying it. “Oh well, you know you love it.”

“Okay, I give, I do,” he laughed and we resumed walking once more. Minutes passed in silence, not a word or a glance passing between us. It wasn’t awkward, but it wasn’t altogether pleasant either.

We had managed to walk all the way too his house before one of us said anything. As usual, it was Jack. “Why don’t you use your camera anymore?”

The question took me off guard, and I shrugged. “I don’t know. I save it for when I have people willing to have their pictures taken. Unlike you guys. But you’re still my buddies.” I grinned at him, and he shook his head smiling.

“You are nuts. I- Hey, that’s what she said!” he yelled, and ran towards his front door laughing. I rolled my eyes. Typical Jack. I walked at my own pace in following him and found him in the kitchen once more.

“You do realize you have no food, right?” I asked, wondering if he actually did remember that. He nodded. Okay, so maybe his short-term memory wasn’t that short. “You’re going to-” I cut myself off when my phone started buzzing in my pocket.

Pulling it out, I saw a text from Alex. Schools out. Comin 2 pick u up. I scowled at the screen, and then put it away. “Alex is coming,” I explained to Jack who put on his pouting face.

“But I don’t want you to go! And who’s supposed to make me food?”

“Go learn how to cook Jack. I’m not gonna be around to cook for you all the time,” I said, rolling my eyes. He was pouting now. And its effects were starting to get to me. “Sorry Jack.”

“Fine,” he said, stretching out the n in one of his annoyingly high-pitched voices. I gave him a look.

“Really Jack?” He nodded.

“Yes, really. Don’t leave me!” He stretched out the e this time, and I sighed.

“I’ll see if Alex will take you, okay?” I said, attempting to compromise with him. He nodded vigorously. I pulled out my phone once more, texting Alex, Take Jack with you? He’s begging.

A few minutes passed, then I got a text. Opening it, I frowned. Sorry, cant. Have some1 with me, no room. “He said he’s got someone with him. Any idea?” I asked Jack. They were best friends, Jack had to know something.

He furrowed his brow and shook his head. “No clue. Maybe he met them at school?” I shrugged. He might have.

I heard a car horn outside and looked at Jack unhappily. “Come with me?” I asked, and he nodded, linking his hand with mine then leading us outside.

Alex was sitting in his car, starting to get irritated, with a girl in the front seat. What was normally my seat. I scowled, I always sat there so I could control the radio or CD we were listening to.

The girl in my seat was tapping her fingers impatiently on the dash while Alex said something to her, probably telling her I was always like this, being an annoying little sister.

I looked up at Jack. “Do you know her?” I asked, hoping he did so I could be less confused.

He shook his head. “Don’t know. Go on though and call me when you get home, okay?” He kissed me lightly, then pulled away. “Bye Hayly.” With that, he walked away, sending me a small smile over his shoulder.

I walked hesitantly to the car and opened the door quietly. I slid into the back seat, and Alex turned around to look at me. “Took you long enough. You okay though?” At least he could be partly nice even when there was a girl in the car.

He was about to say something else, but the girl cut him off. “Too busy fucking the man-whore? I mean really, I’d think even he would have better taste than you, emo freak.”

Tears stung the back of my eyes, and I sent a helpless look in Alex’s direction. He bit his lip but ignored my silent please. “Hayly, this is Annalisa. Lisa, this is my sister.” Lisa wrinkled her nose at my name, and then turned back around.

Great, it was happening all over again. Every time Alex got a new girlfriend, he completely changed into someone else. He wasn’t my brother anymore, he was a stranger. Fucking hell.

My fingers itched to pick up an old habit, but I pushed the urge away. I had given that up, and I wasn’t planning on starting again.

I resorted to pulling out my phone and texting Jack. Alex has a new girlfriend. I’m screwed. I waited a couple tense minutes, tapping my fingers on the seat next to me. Lisa had started singing to some irritatingly catchy pop song on the radio. I was stretched thin, and I think my ears were screaming in pain from her voice. Why had I thought leaving my iPod would be a good idea?

My phone buzzed from its place sitting on my leg. It was in my hand and slid open instantly. Of course, it was Jack. Damn, Im srry. Call me when u get home, ill rescue u. I smiled at the text. Oh, Jack. My knight in skinny jeans and band t-shirts.

Thank you! She’s evil, I swear. I’ll call you later, bye Jacky. I texted him, albeit kind of slowly to drag it out a bit. Without waiting for a response, I slid my phone in my pocket as best I could. Glancing around for a distraction, my gaze landed on the back of Alex’s head. I started to counting the multiple shades of brunette and blond in his hair. It was kind of hard, seeing as there seemed to be a million of them.

I reached out and started to braid the ends, quickly giving up on counting. Alex normally didn’t mind. “Hayly, I’m driving,” he said in a tense voice, tilting his head oh so slightly towards his girlfriend. I really shouldn’t have been surprised, but I was. Taking the hint, I pulled my hand away. Lisa sent me a smug look over her shoulder, and it gave me a sudden urge to throttle her. I clenched my fists instead.

The second Alex parked the car, I was out, phone already out and walking to the front door. I fumbled for my key, yet unable to find it in my pocket. “Lexy, do you have your key?” In response to my question, he tossed his car keys to me. “Dammit, Alex, you know I can’t catch,” I muttered under my breath, dropping the keys moments after I caught them.

“Sorry, Hayly. I forgot,” he said, and I could hear the apologetic tone in his voice. But even that wasn’t enough to completely slow the rush of anger I got at the sound of Lisa’s laughter. I sent a glare in her direction, which of course, only made her laugh more. Sighing, I unlocked the door and tossed Alex’s keys back to him. I stepped inside eagerly, welcoming the heat.

I dialed Jack’s number while I walked up to my room; he picked up on the second ring. Someone was impatient.. “Heya, Hayles, survive the ride with whiny bitch? Aka, your brother.” The easy way he insulted my brother made me laugh. He knew it would, of course. And really, it was true. Alex was an incredibly whiny and annoying person sometimes.

“Yeah, I survived. Although it was whiny bitch and just plain bitch this time,” I told him, flopping back on my bed. I curled up by my pillows, hugging one close to me.

“Ah, that sucks, my short friend. Wait. Don’t kill me. Please?!” He added on the second part when he realized what he called me, making me giggle.

“Don’t worry, I won’t. I might seriously injure you though. But not kill you,” I said through my giggling. I yawned halfway through, then sighed. I seriously did not sleep enough. But I didn’t want to sleep right now. I wanted to talk to Jack. My body obviously was rebelling against what my mind wanted to do though.

“I thought you already slept all day, Hayles? Wow. You really don’t sleep a lot, do you? Wait, why am I asking? I already know that. You don’t. I’m rambling again, aren’t I? Oh well, I’m just gonna keep talking, and you don’t get to have a word in. Nope.” Jack continued to ramble on for the next few minutes in an obvious attempt to make me laugh. But it being obvious, didn’t mean it was any less funny.

I was brought out of my happy little bubble with Jack when someone knocked on my door. “One second, Jacky, I think Alex knocked on my door.” I was amazed I even managed to get my words in around Jack’s rambling, to be honest. But he understood, and fell silent.

“Hayly? Can I come in? I wanted to talk to you..” Yep, that was Alex. I walked over to my door, stumbling over my feet in the process. Regaining my footing, I opened the door to reveal Alex.

I sighed, giving him a blank look. “What do you want, Alex?” I asked, ready to go back to talking to Jack already.

He bit his lip guiltily, looking down slightly. Then said quietly, “I wanted to say sorry. I was an ass earlier.”

“You were,” I confirmed. I wasn’t feeling particularly sympathetic or forgiving at the moment.

“Hey, I’m trying to apologize, okay? You know I hate admitting that I’m wrong.” Whoa, that was a big confession, coming from Alex, even if I did know it already. I didn’t say a word, but nodded. “Anyway, I know I was being stupid. She crossed the line, and I didn’t stop her. I talked to her earlier, and she said she wouldn’t do it again.” He was stumbling over his words in an effort to get them out.

“Alex,” I said quietly, sighing, “they say that every time. You know they do.”

He bit his lip again. “Can you at least give her a chance? I really, really like her. I won’t change this time. I promise.” My mouth fell open slightly in shock. I definitely was not expecting that.

“You promise?” I asked quietly, even though he had already said it.

He smiled a bit; he knew what I wanted. “Pinky promise,” he said holding his pinky up, then linking it to mine. I smiled widely in response. That was my Alex.