Status: Hiatus.

Lost To Me

Chapter 6

Hayly’s POV
I was happily walking hand in hand with Jack, ignoring the stares and whispers that seemed to follow us.

“Somebody’s happy,” Alex smirked, walking up beside us, noting the huge smile on my face. I glared briefly at him before turning my attention back to watching where I was walking.

But not in time apparently, because I managed to walk straight into one of the annoyingly preppy cheerleaders - what was her name, Tiffany? - falling to the floor. I almost brought Jack down with me, but let go of his hand just in time.

“Watch where you’re going, emo freak,” she snarled and I rolled my eyes. Couldn’t these people think of new insults? I mean, really...

“Mm, maybe when you stop spreading your STDs around,” I replied sweetly, getting to my feet.

“Oh, go cut yourself you suicidal bitch. Isn’t it like brother like sister?” she retorted and walked away. Ouch, that one struck a nerve. I stood in place trying not to let my tears show.

I could sense Jack wanted to help, but he pushed me gently towards Alex thinking he might be able to help me better. But Alex stood stock-still, his fists balled up in anger.

Jack sighed helplessly. He didn’t have a clue what to do when somebody mentioned Danny, because it affected my brother and me simultaneously. I leaned against him and he began to softly stroke my hair soothingly.

“Shh.. It’s okay, she doesn’t know who she’s dealing with,” he whispered quietly. Through a combination of his soft voice and gentle touch I calmed down considerably.

I took a step back and looked back up at him. “I’m okay now,” I whispered. Alex had calmed down by this point too, and we walked to our lockers that were all conveniently located next to each other.

“I’ll see you guys later..” I mumbled, and leaned up to give Jack a hug before heading off to homeroom. At least Kara, Rian’s girlfriend, had this class with me.

I slid in the seat next to her and laid my head on the desk. First period hadn’t even started and I was already tired, and thanks to the incident in the hallway, also in a bad mood.

“I saw what happened Hayly. You okay?” Kara asked softly.

Yeah, I am. It’s just the normal problems when they mention Danny.” A smile crossed its way across my face as I remembered that I did have at least a small amount of happiness this morning. “But I do have at least something to cheer me up.”

“Please tell me Jack finally told you he’s practically in love with you.” She covered her mouth firmly with her hand the instant the words came out of her mouth. “Oops,” she said sheepishly.

I grinned and told her, “You’re okay. That’s pretty much what he told me.” Kara squealed happily and gave me a hug.

“It took him long enough! I thought he would never tell you,” she said, happiness lighting up her face. “Has Alex already got to teasing you?”

I sighed and faked a look of annoyance. “Of course. Sometimes I think that’s all he’s been made to do.” The bell ringing brought our conversation to a halt as our crazy Algebra 2 teacher, Mrs. Pernick, walked in.

I zoned out as she explained what we were doing and let my mind wander to Jack. Kara tossing a folded up sheet of paper snapped me out of my thoughts and I unfolded it.

Jack. Details now. I almost laughed out loud at what she wrote, but held it in when remembered everyone else’s presences.

It’s kind of long and complicated. Still wanna know?

Well duh! Now on with the story my little friend. I made a face at her remark at my height but started to write anyway.

Oh, shut up. Well basically we were about to go to the park and while were waiting for Alex to find his keys, Jack kissed me. I freaked, ran, and when Jack found me and I tried to explain, he ran. Later he snuck in my room, became friends again, and then I kissed him. That’s about it.

Kara stared at me after she read the note. “Jeez, girl. Busy weekend much?” I just grinned at her and started to pack up my books in anticipation of the bell.

Lunch rolled around pretty quickly after that, and I went to Kara, me and the guys’ usual spot. Rian was the first to show up and he handed me the sandwich that he always saved for me when we had no food in our house.

“Thankees, Rian. My mom is still too lazy to go to the store. I’m thinking about forcing Alex to drive me.”

He chuckled and shook his head. “Most likely not, you know him.” I nodded in agreement with the truth in that. “True, very true..”

Now we just had to wait for Alex, Jack, and Kara to show up. They always took a little longer. I had resorted to putting my headphones in and listening to music while we waited, because I was being impatient.

A light tap on my shoulder made me jump, and I turned to glare at whoever it was. My look softened when I saw Jack wearing an adorably childish face. “Well hello to you too, Jack,” I grinned.

“Hey babe.” He smiled back and lightly kissed me.

“Whoa, dude, save that for when I’m not around. That’s my sister, man.” I heard Alex complaining and giggled. Now I would have to be even more annoying to him later.

“Wait, what am I missing here?” Rian asked, glancing between Jack and I questioningly. The poor guy sounded so confused it was too funny.

“The kiss didn’t make it obvious enough Rian?” Kara asked, appearing out of nowhere. He jumped slightly, then looked at her blankly. “They’re together now, finally. Jack finally worked up the nerve to tell her.”

It clicked somewhere in Rian’s head because he nodded, then continued on with his food, talking quietly to Kara.

“Hey Hayly?” Jack asked suddenly, and I looked at him questioningly.

“Yes, Jack?”

“Do you wanna go out somewhere Wednesday?” The normal cocky grin he wore was replaced with a slightly nervous one as he stared at me.

“Of course, don’t look so nervous. I’m not doing anything.” He would know by now, they were the only people I hung out with, meaning any plans would be shared among all of us.

Relief spread over his features and his goofy grin returned. “Awesome, can’t wait.”

Now that he mentioned it, neither could I. Most definitely could not.
♠ ♠ ♠
High school orientation tonight. =/ Why must all these people keep interrupting my writing?! *Sigh* Whatever.
Going to cowrite a Jack Barakat and Alex Gaskarth slash with my friend soon. Should be up in a few weeks.
By the way, the Algebra teacher has been named in honor of my teacher who is absolutely NUTS. Hope you enjoyed this loves. <3