Work on Your Temper

work on your temper

I’ve never been much into the whole wilderness thing. Don’t get me wrong, the wild is beautiful and everything, but it’s dangerous. I’m dead clumsy, so I’ve always stayed away from hiking and things like that. It’s hard enough staying up right on flat ground, I don’t need hills, rocks, and logs added to the ground to trip me. That’s why I freaked out when my parents told me we were moving to La Push. Sure, I was proud that my father was a Quileute, but I didn’t want to move out where it was icy half the year and I would most likely be falling on my but at every corner.

“Maybe you’ll get more graceful.” My mother said being the optimistic person she is. “Just give it a try, Riley.”

“Yeah, Riles, how can it be? So you fall every so often? Guys love a damsel in distress.” He grinned and pulled into our new driveway. “Come on, let’s get out and get packed.” He said cheerfully.

I glared at him and got out of the car, grabbing my bags and boxes and putting them in my room. I didn’t bother unpacking. I was boycotting this whole ‘moving’ thing. I would find some way to move back to Boston.

“Riles, why don’t you go and take a walk along the beach? I know how much you love the beach.” My dad called from upstairs.

“No! I’m not going anywhere.” I growled stubbornly, sitting down in the living room and staring at the wall.

“Please? I’ll pay you.” My dad said, giving me a pleading look. I raised an eyebrow at him. Why in the world would eh want me to go to the beach so much? “I don’t want you moping around the house all day. Just go to the beach, I know you’ll fall in love with this place once you see it.”

“Fine, I’m going. I need to run anyways.” I grumbled, getting up and heading to my room. I changed into a pair of sweats for running then walked outside. I looked around for a moment before taking off running, heading towards the beach I had seen earlier. I loved running; it was my way of being free. Free from my parents who wrecked my laugh. Free from the fact that I never fit in. I felt slightly normal when I ran.

____

“Look, that must be the new girl.” A boy said pointing over to me. I rolled me eyes and tried to ignore him. He probably thought I couldn’t hear him, but I could. I had awesome hearing, like a dog’s or something.

“She’s pretty hot.” Another boy said.

“Yeah, I’d say so. Oh, shh, she’s coming this way.”

“I can hear you perfectly, idiots.” I told them as I ran by. They stared at me in shock for a moment, and then chased after me. “What are you stalkers?” I grumbled as they caught up to me.

“No, we just wanted to say hi. I’m Jacob.”

“I’m Paul.”

“Nice to meet you, Jacob, Paul.” I said, slowing down to a walk. “I assume you live here?” I asked stopping and turning to look at them. My eyes locked with Paul’s and I blushed slightly. I felt a strong pull to him and thoughts of how perfect we would be together ran through my head.

“What’s your name?” Jacob asked, looking from me to Paul then back at me, a small smirk on his lips.

“Oh, I’m Riley.” I said, pulling a ponytail holder out of my pocket and putting my dark brown hair up into a ponytail. “I just moved here with my parents. My dad lived here when he was little.”

“That’s cool. I’m glad you moved here, there are no interesting people here.” Jacob said, wrapping his arms around my shoulders and leading me away. I heard Paul growl and flinched slightly, but Jacob just chuckled and continued tugging me away. “Don’t worry, Paul will follow. He’s just got a temper and is as stubborn are hell.” Sure enough, Jacob was right, Paul chased after us. “So, Paul, think we should invite Riley over to the party for Leah tonight?”

“Yes, I think that would be a great idea.” Paul said, moving in between me and Jacob. He gave Jacob a death glare for touching me, then grinned at me and murmured “Will you come? It’s at eight and its right next to your house.”

“How do you know where I live?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. ‘Are you a stalker?”

“No, there was only one house that was for sale around here.” Paul said with a laugh. “Jacob and I will come get you for the party and then introduce you to the rest of our friends.”

“I’ll see you then.” I murmured as we stopped at my house. I flashed Paul a smile then darted inside to get ready for the party. Maybe La Push wouldn’t be so bad after all.

_________

At the party

_________

There were so many people at Leah’s house that I wanted to scream. I was usually shy, but Jacob and Paul somehow brought out the lively side of me. This many people at the party freaked me out. After Paul and Jacob introduced me to everyone, I hid in a corner. That was until a boy asked me to dance. I accepted the invitation and danced with him, faintly remembering that his name was Quil. He was fun to dance and talk with. We chatted for awhile, but he was dragged outside by Paul. I followed silently, wondering what was going on.

“Stay away from her!” Paul growled at Quil. “She’s mine! She’s my imprint, Quil.”

“Dude, calm down. We were just dancing awhile. I didn’t know she was your imprint.” Quil said. “Don’t yell at me, Paul.”

“I’ll yell if I want to!” Paul shouted. “Don’t go near Riley again or I’ll-“

“Stop yelling at him.” I interrupted, stepping into their vision. “Don’t be such a jerk, Paul.”

“I’m not a jerk!” Paul hissed, his whole body shaking.

“Yes you are! You’re yelling at Quil for dancing with me and you’re yelling at me for no good reason. You are a jerk!” I shouted back at him.

“Riley, back away.” Quil said, his eyes widening as Paul began to shake even more. I didn’t move and Quil groaned. “Riley, move. Get back inside.”

“No, I’m not going anywhere until Paul-“my sentence was cut off by my scream as Paul suddenly turned into a huge wolf and pounced at me. I expected to feel his claws ripping at me, but something stopped him. I looked up to see another wolf fighting with him and I guessed it was Quil. The two wolves were fighting and I didn’t know what to do. “Stop! Stop!” I cried, trying to get their attention. I took a few steps towards them in hopes to grab their attention, but instead I fell and hit my head on a rock. Stupid clumsiness. I sat up and felt my head, wincing when I pulled my hand back to see sticky red liquid on my hands.

“Oh, Riley, are you okay?” Paul asked, suddenly infront of me. I looked at him in surprise. Hadn’t he just been a wolf a minute ago? Out of the corner of my eye I saw Quil come out of the forest, pulling his shirt over his head. “You’re bleeding. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have been shouting at you or Quil. It’s just you’re my imprint. It kills me to see you with other people. You don’t even know what an imprint is, do you?”

“No, I do know.” I said with a small smile. “My dad told me all the legends when I was kid. So they’re true? You’re a wolf and you imprinted on me?” He nodded slowly and grinned. “That’s awesome. We just need to work on your temper.” He laughed and pulled me into a loving kiss. Yeup, La Push definitely wasn’t going to be that bad.