‹ Prequel: Breathe
Status: In progress - updates will probably be slow until I can gather up some more inspiration.

Suffocate

Ch. Twelve - Through broken walls, that scream I hear

"Is Jake coming to get you after work today?" Raymond asked as I scraped a pan of burnt-on food. I hadn't spoken to him yet about the possibility of a raise, but was planning to by the end of my shift.

"Uh, no," I mumbled. "I drove myself. Why?" I looked at him, confused.

"No reason. Just wanted to make sure I can keep you later if need be," Ray answered, taking a stack of plates and putting them on the shelf in front of us. I had been working in the kitchen all day, working during the busiest hours, and my feet felt like cement blocks.

"We're closing in fifteen minutes," I stated. "Why would you need me to stay late?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Just finish cleaning up, Sarah."

I huffed, and made another stack of plates to put them away. "Hey, Ray?" I called after him, drying my hands off with my apron. "Wait, I need to ask you something." I was shaking slightly, nervous that he was going to say no. Ray walked past the front counter and grabbed the mop. The dining room had already been deck-brushed tonight, but Ray was somewhat of a neat freak, eager to make every surface in the building completely spotless. "So," I began, trying to smother the nerves, "a couple of things have come up, and I wanted to ask you about the possibility of --"

"Watch the puddle," he said apathetically.

I side-stepped it, and slid my hands into my back pockets. "Anyway, the possibility of either getting a raise, or more hours."

Ray looked at me, surprised. "When did you become so bold?"

I frowned, and took a deep breath. "My dad kicked me out of the house, Ray, and I need somewhere to stay. But, the problem is that I don't have enough money. Jake doesn't have a job, and --"

"What happened with your dad?"

"Just, something happened." I was not about to have this conversation with him. "So?" He sighed, and took a moment to mop the floor. "You know that I work harder than Ameila, or Danny, and it's not fair that I'm getting paid less than they are."

"Ameila and Daniel work just as hard as you do, Sarah. Don't get cocky." He set the mop into the large, yellow bucket. It was filled with warm soapy water that I was sure he just changed before coming out here.

I opened my mouth to protest, but he gave me a look. "I need this." My voice was desparate. "I can't live with Jacob at his dad's. There's no room. Please."

Ray sighed, and looked at me, lips pressed into a tight line. "I'm going to need to think about it, alright? Give me a couple of days."

"You don't even need to raise my --"

"Go home, Sarah," he groaned. "Just go. I'll see you tomorrow." I groaned quietly, and ambled to the computer to clock myself out. I hadn't realized that Ray was going to be so difficult, and it was sort of irritating. He knew most of my situation, and I couldn't figure out why he wasn't willing to help me - Dad and Ray have known each other for years.

I pulled the ponytail out of my hair, the dark brown, wavy tresses falling to my shoulders. I hadn't gotten my haircut in a while now, and it was the longest it's been since I was a child. Mom used to put ribbons in my hair, braiding and curling and primping me until I looked like a pageant girl. I hated it, and as soon as I had any say, I refused to be made up to look so fake. I still hated wearing make up, and avoided it as much as possible.

When I got to my car, I texted Jacob. It felt like it had been ages since I last saw him, and so I decided that perhaps it was worth it to sneak around for one more night.

Dad was sitting in the living room when I got home. He had lightened up a little, but not enough to change his mind. Instead, I had until the rest of this week to get out. As I made my way up the stairs, I paused, listening to the news reporter on the television.

"Police are investigating the murders of two local residents, Darlene Johnson, 34, and Chris Johnson, 18. The two were reported missing on Saturday night after failing to arrive home the previous night. The two had gone to one of Port Angeles High's home football games..."

Dad changed the channel, and I left the room without a word, attempting to avoid any conversation. I stayed away from him as much as I possibly could, but there were certain times that I felt compelled to say something to him. I just never did.

Closing my bedroom door behind me, I turned the light and my heart stopped. "I thought you were dead," I said, my voice almost an octave higher than it normally was.

The woman in front of me laughed, and then shook her head. "It seemed like the most logical situation, right?" She sighed, and sat down on my bed. The whole room was freezing, but I knew it was her.

"What happened?"

She pursed her lips. "After the accident, I was still able to walk, so I limped down the street to find help. A man by the name of Vince found me on the sidewalk, and said that he'd help me." She glared at me venomously. "Instead he turned me into this. You know, I never even gave it a single thought that vampires could exist. And now, here I am."

"Liz," I said, but she held up her hand.

"If it hadn't been for you, this wouldn't have happened."

"That's not true," I snapped. "You didn't have to run off to the car when you knew that your road rage is --"

"Shut up." Liz grimaced. "God, this whole room smells like a fucking dog."

I stared at her, not sure what to do. I guessed that the only thing I could do was tell Jacob. I made small movements towards my pocket, and pulled out my cell phone. Liz was pulling on her hair in frustration, her fingers buried in the long, brown tresses.

"I didn't know how this was going to turn over when I was on my way here," she said. "But I suppose that perhaps, you should know exactly what it feels like to have your soul sucked out." Liz approached me. I quickly shoved the phone back into my pocket, hardly even managing to send Jacob the word 'help.'

I stepped back, towards the door, but she had closed the space between us with only two long strides. "Liz," I said, and my knees started to shake. "It's not my fault. It isn't. Don't blame this all on me."

"I'm not going to blame myself, Sarah," she sneered. A vicious smile crept onto her face. "You smell even better than I thought you would." She pushed a lock of hair over my shoulder and stared at my neck, and I was almost in shock as she leaned forward. There wasn't anything I could do. She was a vampire now, and could snap me in half with her thumbs.

Suddenly there was a loud thump on my wall, and Liz jumped back. I praised myself mentally for leaving my window open today, because Jacob climbed through a moment later.

Liz let out an angry huff, and looked at him. "This is none of your business, mutt."

"Yes, it is," Jacob seethed. Liz's hand shot straight to my neck to hold me in place.

"Come any closer, mongrel, and I'll kill her." I struggled to breathe. She was already putting way too much pressure on my throat.

"Let her go," Jacob demanded, daring to take another step. "Now."

"Or what? You and your pack of dogs will come and get me?" Liz lifted me slightly, but my feet still touched the floor. My vision was starting to get a little fuzzy and breathing was pretty much none existent at this point.

"Let her go! She's your sister!"

"Was. Was my sister. I'm dead, remember? She will be, too." Liz laughed quietly. There was a crash, and I was dropped to the floor. Pain shot through my arm, but I tried not to pay attention to it too much. I almost couldn't hear the struggling, because the border to unconsciousness was creeping towards me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ch. title - Cry little sister by Gerard McMann
Yeah, that's right. Liz is a vampy now.
But only because I got bored. Lol. She wants revenge. (<--good band.)
I feel weird today. o_o

Comments? <3