Status: Mildly Active

I Want Her

The Replacement for the Replacement

Claustrophobia was rapidly closing in on me. The inside of the tiny airless trunk I was stuffed into seemed to be tightening around my body. Knowing there was only so much oxygen, I slowed down my panicked breath with some difficulty. The car hit a bump or a pot hole, slamming me into the side of the trunk, bruising my shoulder. I let out a yelp, the pain spreading over my back.

The car slowed to a stop, making my heart do the same. As terrifying as being locked in a car trunk was, I would much rather stay in here than face the people who put me in here in the first place. The sound of a muffled crowd penetrated my tiny enclosure, making me even more worried. What on earth had I gotten myself into?

The trunk door popped open, and I was seized around the middle and yanked out. Scared, I took in my surroundings. I swallowed audibly. Vampires were all around me, a very large group right behind me, fangs out and glinting. Beside me stood a few more, and one more sat before all of us, perched upon a chair in the bed of a truck, holding a glittering cane. From what I gathered, this was vampire court, and someone was in serious trouble.

“The usual sentence is five years in a coffin chained with silver… During which time your body will waste to leather and sticks... you’ll probably go insane. However, I’m feeling a bit…. Creative” said the vampire in the truck bed, staring at a tall dark haired vampire who was standing apart from the others. “You have no nest, and you prefer to consort with humans. You seem to have lost all sense of our priorities. William Compton, you owe us a life.” The dark haired vampire’s eyes flashed to me, realization in his eyes.

I shivered in my place, unable to stop. So this was my fate. Become a vampire to replace another who was murdered. Running was out of the question. Vampires could move at blinding speeds, I wouldn’t get much farther than four steps. Begging seemed pathetic and pointless. Like this vampire would have sympathy for a human. So I braced myself for the inevitable, hoping this wouldn’t hurt too badly.

“Magister…” came another voice. I looked to William Compton’s left, seeing who spoke. He was tall, pale and blonde, his stance radiated authority and ancient wisdom. He was staring intently at me.

“Yes, Sheriff?” Asked the vampire on the car, his gaze shifting from William Compton.

“I want her” said the sheriff, his vivid blue eye locked intensely on my face. I swallowed, staring back.

The Magister was silent for a moment, looking from the sheriff, to Mr. Compton, to me. “Humans are plentiful. Very well, take her. And Louisa, bring us another human.”

I kneeled, frozen on the ground. So I wasn’t going to be a vampire? I looked up, bewildered, fearfully gazing at the Magister. “Go to your new master” he commanded to me. I swallowed, and gazed over to my “new master”. His icy eyes still hadn’t left my face. Slowly, I stood, tearing my ripped jeans further, and approached the sheriff. His face was still, his eyes never losing their intensity. His hand snapped out, quickly grabbing my wrist and pulling me beside him. I stood, half behind him, waiting for my replacement as the replacement.

I stared out from behind the sheriff as the car that held me pulled up once again. When the vampire Louisa popped open the trunk, a very panicked red headed girl tore from the open hatch. She was screaming, terrified. “This was the first time I’d ever snuck out, I just wanted to go to Ashton’s party. I only get to go to youth choir and prayer group. If you take me home, I won’t say a word to Mom or Dad or anybody, please please, just please help me!” She said, looking up at the Magister from her knees.

“There’s no help for you, child” the Magister said with a chuckle, as the girl continued to sob at his feet. “Meet your maker.”

The girl crawled over to Mr. Compton, and in low voices they began to talk. I figured she was trying to talk her way out of her situation. Then her eyes went sort of glassy, and she began nodding at everything Mr. Compton said.

“I hate to interrupt” said the Magister, irritation notable in his voice. “But glamour is not permitted.”

“She’s just a girl!” William Compton shouted over his shoulder.

“You are boring me, shut up, and do as you’re told!” The Magister snapped. Mr. Compton turned back on the girl again, who seemed even more frightened than before.

“No! No, let go of me! Stop it! STOP IT!!” the girl began to shout as the vampire grabbed her and wrestled her against him. While she struggled, he flicked his fangs out, holding her steady. My heart was racing, and I flinched and looked away. I closed my eyes, and tried to block out the shrieks of pain and terror coming from the girl who took my place.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please tell me what you think :)