Good Times Can Lead To Changed Lives

Chapter 1.

1.

Jack Barakat never once thought his old life would come back to haunt him. Jack had seen the error of his ways and he had made the effort to turn his life around. The old Jack was a total party animal. His life had revolved around the city's social scene. He went out most nights every week.

“You’re only young once. What’s the point in being young if you don’t make the most of it? “

Jack lived by this motto and he, along with his friend Alex Gaskarth had made sure they lived their lives to the full. They were unstoppable. They were invincible (in their own minds at least) they made the most out of their nights out, drinking as much as they could and doing what they liked.

Somewhere along the line Jack began to tire of the monotonous life he led. All he seemed to do was work and drink. It was an endless, vicious cycle and he was caught in the middle of it. He had done things he wasn’t proud of. He’d had one too many one night stands. A new night, a new girl. He hated waking up the next morning with only a vague recollection of what had occurred. This was the story of Jack Barakat’s life and he was determined to change it. Start a new chapter.

And that is exactly what he did. He cut down on his drinking and stopped his party lifestyle.
He attempted to repair the relationship with his family. Over the years he had grown further apart from them as he had immersed himself further into the party scene. Things weren’t perfect but they were getting there. However, it wasn’t without consequences. He and Alex had grown apart. Alex continued to party and Jack felt he didn’t know his best friend anymore. Jack wanted things to go back to normal more than anything. He wanted his Alex back.

*********

Jack was surprised to hear his doorbell ring. He wasn’t expecting anyone and even if he was his friends ever knocked. They just walked straight in knowing that 99% of the time the door was unlocked. Jack set his mug of coffee on the table and made his way to the door.

He wasn’t expecting to see Kaycee standing in the porch and he certainly wasn’t expecting her to be balancing a baby’s carry cot on her arm. Jack had a relationship with Kaycee about a year ago. It was purely a physical attraction and Jack had broken up with her when he had realised she was trouble. Jack hadn’t seen her or heard from her since the night they had gone their separate ways

Jack’s confusion increased when she handed him the baby carrier.

“Hey Jack. Meet your daughter. I can’t do this anymore. I’m not ready to be a mother. I don’t want to be a mother. You can have her. Everything you need is in her bag.”

Jack looked at the baby in the seat. There was no denying that she was his. She had his brown eyes and his dark hair. She looked exactly how he had when he was a baby. Jack scanned his mind trying to do the math and trying to remember had the used protection every time.

“Wait,” he called as Kaycee began to walk away. “I don’t understand. We used protection every single time. I’m sure we did.”

Kaycee turned to Jack, her face full of anger.

“Accidents happen. This was one of them. She’s yours and the only reason I didn’t tell you was because I was going to get rid of it. I don’t what her anymore. Goodbye Jack.”

With that she climbed in the car and sped off leaving behind a very confused Jack and his daughter.

Jack didn’t know what to do. He hadn’t much experience with children. He was clueless. He looked into the carrier seat once again and all he saw were two big brown eyes staring up at him. Jack smiled to himself. This was his daughter and he did have to admit she was adorable.

“Let’s see what we can find out about you,” he said aloud feeling ashamed at the fact he didn’t even know the name of his daughter. What was worse is he didn’t even know she had existed ten minutes ago.

Jack opened the first bag and he was quick to note how little she had with her. This confused him. Weren’t young babies supposed to need a tonne of stuff? In the bag he found an envelope and he found her birth certificate. At least Kaycee had remembered to put that in.

“Hello Molly,” he smiled looking at his daughter. Jack did the maths in his head as he tried to calculate how old she was. She was only three months old. Molly seemed content to just sit in her chair for a while and Jack took the opportunity to try and see what else she had with him. Jack knew he needed help but he didn’t know who to turn to. He picked up his phone and dialled his mother’s number.

“Mom I need your help,” he started as soon as she answered. His mother had become accustomed to hearing this phrase from her son.

“What did you do now Jack?” she sighed. She was getting tired of only being needed when her son wanted something.

“Mom, Kaycee came by. I have a daughter. Her name is Molly and she’s three months old. Kaycee just abandoned her here and left. I don’t know what to do. She’s so small. I’m almost afraid to pick her up and she’s only got one extra feed and some clothes and I have no idea what she needs. Please mom I need your help.”

Jack’s mother could not help but feel sorry for her son but at the same time she knew Jack needed to stand up and take responsibility for his actions.

“I never thought you’d be the one to give me my first grand child but Jack this is something you need to do on your own. I cannot and will not raise your child for you. I will email you a list of things you need for a baby but it’s up to you to look after her. Come over in a week so we can meet her but you’re on your own until then.”

She knew it was harsh but it was they only way he would ever learn. She hung up the phone and Jack never felt so alone. He didn’t feel any better when Molly started crying. He walked over to her chair and took her in his arms.

“Ssh it’s ok Molly. Daddy’s here.” These words felt foreign to Jack though he knew he would have to get used to saying them. He tried to rock her in his arms and it soothed her for a little while. Jack’s phone beeped and when he checked he found the email his mom had just sent him. Jack was amazed at all the things he would need to get her but he found out why she was crying too. There in block capitals his mom had wrote.

“She needs to be fed every few hours. She'll cry when she's hungry!"

That was all the help Jack was going to get and he had to go it alone from now on. Jack felt like joining Molly and crying too. He was only twenty one he was too young to be a dad.

Now Molly was going to rely on him to look after her and although he was unsure he’d be able to manage Jack was determined to do all he could for his little girl. She had probably had a bad enough start in life. Jack needed help though and he needed it quick. He scanned through his contacts trying to figure out who he could call.

Rian and Matt were going to be at work. He knew he had only one choice and although they hadn’t been getting on the best in the last month or so he knew Alex would be the one to help him. He pressed send and held the phone up to his ear.

“Alex, I need your help,” he said when his best friend answered the phone. “Can you come over please?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi!
This is the first chapter of our new story and I'm really excited for this story.
Comment and let us know what you think!

-Dibs