Good Times Can Lead To Changed Lives

Chapter 5.

5.

4am.

Molly’s cries broke the dead silence of the house. She had been awake for hours and she would not settle for Jack. He didn’t know what to do. She wasn’t hungry. He had given her a clean diaper and she had no wind. A few minutes ago she had drifted to sleep in Jack’s arms but no sooner had he placed her in her crib when she started crying once again.

“Ssh Molly. It’s ok. Daddy’s here,” Jack whispered quietly as he scooped her up into his arms. “What’s up baby girl, why won’t you sleep?”

The moment Jack picked his daughter up and held her against his chest her cries stopped. In the full week that Jack had known his daughter he had learned that Molly loved to be held against his chest right above his heart. A full week had passed and Jack was proud of himself. He had made it through the week without any problems and he had done it on his own. Tomorrow, he was bringing Molly to meet his mom and he was nervous. What if she didn’t like Molly? What if she thought he wasn’t looking after her correctly? To Jack, this was more nerve wrecking than bringing a girl home to meet his mom and Jack had brought his fair share of girls home.

He couldn’t help but smile as he remembered the time his mom met Kaycee. Jack had never wanted the pair to meet but his mother was insistent and Jack had no choice to agree. The look on his mothers face that day was priceless. She was not impressed and it was hate at first sight. Kaycee had really misunderstood Jack’s instruction to dress “Nicely” Jack had been shocked when he picked her up to find her wearing a very low cut top and a very short skirt. Her make up was caked on and she looked a mess. Looking back, Jack wasn’t sure what attracted him to her in the first place.

As Jack walked around the house in an attempt to get Molly to sleep he caught sight of a photo of him and Alex. It had been taken a few years ago at their senior prom. Jack and Alex had been friends for so long. They did everything together.... well they used to anyway.

Jack had not spoken to Alex at all this week. He hadn’t received so much as a text message or a phone call since the day Alex had suddenly left the house. Jack was worried for his friend. He had left so suddenly and Jack didn’t know why. He had been muttering something about Molly looking like Kaycee and mistaking Kaycee for someone else. Jack was worried Alex was in some sort of trouble or that he had got involved in drugs.

Whatever the reason, Jack knew something was up with Alex he didn’t like not knowing what was bothering him. Jack knew Alex lead a luxurious life that he often indulged in alcohol and women. Jack had been apart of that life too but it got the best of him and he left.

Jack had tried to get in touch with Alex so many times. He had left countless text messages and voicemails on his phone. Jack had planned on asking Alex to come with him to his mom’s but now that plan had to be scrapped.

When Jack saw that Molly was finally asleep he didn’t dare put her back in her crib. He didn’t want a repeat of earlier. Instead, he lay back on his bed and placed her beside him. He was so tired and he could feel his eyes get heavy and droop before his head even touched the pillow.

***

“I have to admit that you’ve surprised me Jack,” Jack had been waiting for this comment to come and he was surprised it had taken his mom this long to bring it up. “I had already reserved myself to the fact that I wouldn’t have any grandchildren. Then, you ring out of the blue to tell me you now have a three month old daughter.”

Jack was pleased her response had been positive. He had done everything possible to make sure this visit had been a success. He had bought two bottles of her favourite wine; he had gone to his mom’s favourite patisserie and got dessert. Everything, even down to the adorable dress Molly was wearing was planned in order to put his mom in a good mood. Jack was still working at earning her trust back.

“Thanks mom. It hasn’t been easy. I never thought it would be but I’m trying my hardest. This is about as real as it gets. Now’s the time to be serious and I need to be for Molly’s sake. She’s my daughter and I finally have someone who needs me. She’s depending on me. I’m the only parent she has and I’m not going to let her down.”

Jack’s mom smiled in the direction of Molly.

“That’s probably the smartest thing I have ever heard you say but Jack it’s not that easy. There are loads of things that must be considered. What if Kaycee decides to waltz back into your life and take Molly away from you? Right now you are screwed if she takes Molly away from you. What about work? You have a job Jack? You are going to have to work sometime. What are you going to do then?”

Jack was expecting this reaction from his mom.

“I’ve sorted everything our mom. I’ve got three weeks off and I can do some of my work from home. That’ll give me enough time to find her a suitable babysitter or a day-care centre. As for the other thing, I’ll talk to Alex in the morning. He has a good legal team at the label and he’ll be able to give me the number of someone who can help. “

“Speaking of Alex how is he? Do you see him much?”

“Alex is great mom. His label is doing brilliantly and I see him a good bit.”

Jack was lying through his teeth but he didn’t care. He did not want his mother poking in that aspect of his life too.

“Oh, so ye are still friends?”

She seemed to be shocked at this.

“Of course we are. We’ve been friends since kindergarten. We’ve known each other for so long. Our friendship hasn’t stopped because I cut back on how much I go out.”

***

Jack was relieved. Everything with his mom had gone the way he had planned. She adored Molly. Jack felt as if a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders. Molly was sleeping and Jack was treating himself to a well deserved glass of white wine. He was watching late night re-runs of his favourite TV show when his bubble was burst. He was disrupted by someone banging on the door and ringing the bell. Jack rushed to the door hoping to get to it before whoever it was woke Molly up.

When he opened the door Alex stumbled into his arms tripping on the mat. He smelt like a brewery and Jack knew he’d been out drinking.
“Jack there you are!” Alex shouted loudly. “I was looking for you.”

Jack quickly closed the door and ushered Alex into the living room.

“Ssh! Molly is sleeping. Alex, what are you doing here? How did you get here? It’s 2am!”

Alex seemed lost in his thoughts for a moment.

“Actually Jack. That’s a very interesting question. I got your calls and texts silly! I knew that you wanted me so I came here straight away. I found the car and told my driver “Take me to Jack’s house.” Jack, do you want to know something? You are my best friend in the whole wide world. Anyway, where was I? Hmm, so I said to my driver – I have my own driver now. Isn’t that so cool? I told him to take me to Jack’s and guess what? He did and you were here. Isn’t that amazing? He knew where you’d be!”

Jack knew that if Alex had his driver with him that he had been at something to do with his label. It would also mean that Alex had been drinking for a long time.

“That’s a very good story Alex but you’ve got to keep it down. Molly is asleep. You stay here and I’m going to check on her and get you some water. Don’t move.”

Jack left Alex alone and went straight to his room to make sure Molly was still sleeping. As he was walking out of the room he heard banging coming from the kitchen. He didn’t even want to think about what Alex was up to.

“Alex, what are you doing?”

Alex grinned triumphantly as he turned to Jack with a jar of peanut butter and a spoon in his hand.

“Ssh! Molly is sleeping,” Alex slurred laughing like a fool as he mimicked Jack’s earlier warning.

Jack rolled his eyes at Alex’s childish behaviour.

“Alex,” he warned trying to be stern.

“Jack,” Alex mimicked holding Jack’s glare for a few moments before grinning and holding up the jar. “Peanut butter?”

“No, I do not want some peanut butter and neither do you.”

He snatched the jar away form Alex trying to ignore Alex’s pout.

“You’ve changed Jack. You used to be fun and now you are just boring. You completely dropped me, your best friend. We used to do everything together and now we never do anything together.”

“You know I had my reasons for doing what I did,” Jack replied as he attempted to keep his cool but he felt like he was going to lose it any minute. “Actually, you know what? Have your peanut butter. I’m not arguing with you when you are like this. It’s not worth it. I’m too tired for all this shit. I’m going to bed.”

He thrust the jar back into Alex’s hand and stormed out of the room. Jack really wasn’t in the mood to deal with Alex right now. He undressed and slid beneath the covers trying to get comfy. He was about to fall asleep when he felt the bed sink down beside him and someone rest their head on his shoulder.

“I’m sorry. Can I stay here? I don’t like sleeping on my own.”

Jack knew it was better to agree with Alex. Chances are he wouldn’t remember this in the morning. He’d wake up with a headache and have trouble remembering how he even got there.

“Sure Lex,” Jack agreed as he snuggled into his pillow and pulled the covers higher. “Night.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's Chapter 5!
Sorry for the delay in posting it! I've been so busy with school.

Thank you to all who have commented and subscribed so far. It really makes us happy to have people tell us why they like our story.

Let us know what you think of it!