Good Times Can Lead To Changed Lives

Chapter 6.

6.

When Jack woke up the next morning he was instantly aware of someone curled up in his side. Jack smiled to himself. It felt nice to wake up with someone, even if it was just Alex. Jack knew as soon as he woke up he would be feeling very sick. He was pretty drunk last night and there was no doubt he’d wake up with a pounding headache a direct result of his hang-over.

Molly let out one short cry to let her father know she was awake and she was hungry. Jack glanced at the clock on his bedside table which read 06.45am. Jack removed Alex’s arm from around his waist and crept over to Molly’s crib which was in the corner of the room.

He quickly made her a bottle before scooping her up in his arms and going back to his bed. Alex was now sprawled out on his stomach and was taking up most of his bed so Jack had no option but to wake him up.

“Alex," he called trying to rouse his sleeping best friend. “Alex c’mon dude you need to scoot over I need to get back in.”

When his calls failed to wake Alex Jack was left with only one more option. He held Molly in one arm as he used his free arm to pull the pillow from under his face. When Alex’s face hit the cool mattress he awoke with a jump.

“Argh! What the hell?” he sat up scratching his head a he looked around. “Jack? What are you doing here? Wait what am I doing here? This isn’t my house.”

Jack took advantage of the space Alex had freed up and sat back into the bed.

“You came here last night. You were really drunk and wouldn’t sleep in the spare room. I woke you because you took over the whole bed when I went to get Molly.”

Alex raises both arms in the air as he stretches and yawns.

“Is it ok if I stay here and go back to sleep? It’s way too early to even consider getting up.”

***

“Jack?” Alex started breaking the comfortable silence between the pair.

“Hmm..” Jack murmured in reply shifting his gaze from Molly to Alex.

Molly was happily sat in her bouncer and she was completely mesmerised by the toys hanging form the mobile. Alex and Jack were watching some random programme on T.V as they passed the afternoon away.

“I’m really sorry about last night. I know I said some things that weren’t the nicest. I shouldn’t have come over last night and caused hassle.”

“Forget about it Bro. It’s no big deal. I was awake anyway. What kind of a best friend would I be if I didn’t help you when you were drunk. You know you are always welcome here.”

Alex reached forward grabbing Molly’s hand in his.

“Let’s do something. Go to the park. How about a picnic in the park? We could take Molly to see the ducks.”

Jack smiled at this idea. It was a really nice summer’s day out and he was looking for an excuse to get out with Molly.

“Sounds like a plan Alex. We could text Rian, Zack, Matt and Danny too. See if they want to come along. They haven’t met Molly yet. I don’t think I even got around to telling Matt about her. He was away on the school tour with the school all week. I’ll make the Peanut butter sandwiches.”

With that, Jack took hold of his phone sending a mass text to his friends and then started making Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches with the help of Alex. When everything was prepared and Jack had Molly ready they packed up the car and set off.

“Jeez, Molly,” Alex remarked as he carried her out to the car. “For a baby so small you sure need a tonne of stuff.”

Rian and Zack pulled into the parking lot at the same time as Alex and Jack and the couple rushed to the car to see the newest addition to their group. They thought it was such a shame she was asleep. They had been together six months now and it appeared their relationship was still going strong. Jack often found himself envying the strength of their relationship and he wanted something like that. Someone to love him and to care for him. Someone who knew him so well they could practically finish his sentences. He wanted someone who loved all of him and wasn’t just interested in sex and partying. There were times he was certain he’d never find that someone but he knew he’d have to remain optimistic.

The group found a nice spot to set up in the shade of a giant oak tree. Jack kept Molly in her buggy as she was still sleeping after the short car journey. Matt was the last of the group to arrive and Jack was looking forward to seeing his reaction when he saw Molly. It was Alex who spotted Matt first as he strolled across the grass to the group. He’d been the smart one who’d thought to bring a football.

“Hey guys. Sorry I’m late. Traffic was a nightmare. Wait! What’s that? Who’s that?”

He was in shock as he peeked into the pram and pointed at Molly.

“Is it real? What’s she doing here?”

“Yes Matt she is real. This is Molly. She’s my daughter. I only found out about her last week when Kaycee literally dumped her on my doorstep. I wanted to tell you about her in person but couldn’t since you were in Paris with your class.”

***

“That was a success,” Alex commented as they pack up the car after saying goodbye to the group. “I really enjoyed spending time with you and Molly today. Thanks Jack.”

Jack finished buckling Molly into her seat and walked around to the drivers side if the car.
“It’s no problem Alex. I enjoyed myself too. So, what big plans do you have for tonight?”

Alex looked almost nervous as he fiddled with his seat belt.

“Actually I don’t have any plans tonight. I gave you a hard time last night and I want to make it up to you so I propose that we do things your way tonight. Maybe order some pizza and rent a movie. I don’t mind. I want to do things your way as long as you’ll have me of course.”

Jack smiled feeling somewhat honoured that Alex was willing to give up a Saturday night out to spend it with him. It was a thing that didn’t come very often. Jack couldn’t remember a time since the pair was 16 that Alex hadn’t been out on a Saturday. Whatever about Fridays and Sundays, he always went out every Saturday night.

“That sounds like fun. Do you want to go to your place first so you can grab a change of clothes? Then I need to stop by the supermarket I need to pick up some stuff for Molly.”

***

Molly was sound asleep in bed. Alex and Jack had spent the past hour drinking wine and watching a newly released action movie on D.V.D. To Jack this had now become a routine thing to do on a Saturday night but it was all new to Alex and Jack could see it was getting to him. Jack could sympathise with him. He remembered the first time he’d done something like this. He’d felt totally out of his comfort zone after spending so many years with his Saturday nights consisting of thumping loud music and as much alcohol as possible.

“So...” Alex started dragging the o sound as he swirled the wine glass in between his fingers. “Is this what we do all night? Just drink wine and watch movies.”

Jack didn’t know why but something inside him snapped.

“Nobody asked you to do this. You made that decision all on your own. If you don’t want to be here then just go. It’s still early enough for you to go out.”

He stood up abruptly, placing his glass in the table and walking out of the room leaving Alex sitting there in shock. He walked in the direction his bedroom intending to check on Molly. He instantly calmed down when he saw his daughter sleeping figure and he regretted snapping at Alex. He was sure to have blown it with him now. After all Alex was just being nice to him. Jack leaned over the crib pulling the blanket she had kicked off over her body and when he went to stand straight again he felt a pair of arms wrap themselves around his waist and a head rest on his shoulder.

“She’s beautiful Jack. You should be really proud of her,” Alex whispered in his ear which spent shivers down his spine. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you angry. I really want to spend time with you but if you want me to leave just say the word and I’ll go. I just wish you’d talk to me. Let me in and tell me what’s going through your head.”

The room fell silent as Jack tried to gather his thoughts and after a minute or so of silence Alex removed his arms from around his waist and turned to leave.

“Wait!” Jack called reaching out in the darkness grabbing his hand. “Don’t go! Stay with me. Please? We can talk if you want. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to snap at you.”

Jack heard footsteps pad softly towards him and then Alex pulled him into a hug.

“I just want my old Jack back. Not the party Jack. The one who was happy all the time, the one who I could talk to and know that he’d talk to me if something was up. I know I haven’t been the greatest friend in the past few months but I want to change that. I want to us to be like we used to be.”

With that the pair retreated back to the living room where Jack prepared to tell Alex everything he had been hiding from him for the past few months. Jack’s head was a whirlpool of emotions and he was experiencing something new. Something different. He just wasn’t too sure what it was though.

Jack took a deep breath before beginning to tell the story that Alex had undoubtedly been waiting to hear for some time.

“Ok I guess I’ll start at the beginning. Yeah that’s a good place to start with any story,” Jack laughed nervously as he reached forward for his wine glass taking a mouthful of the liquid. He didn’t know why he was so worked up about telling him about his reasons for leaving the scene. “I owe you an explanation about why I just cut everything off so suddenly. I was out partying the night dad got sick and when my family tried to contact me I wasn’t answering my phone. By the time I got to him it was too late. He had passed away and I missed my chance to say goodbye. My mother went crazy demanding to know where it had been and after the funeral when you went home they all cornered me. Everyone sat me down and started getting on my case about how I’m selfish and I don’t care about anyone else but myself. It was terrible. They were all so ashamed of me. My mom said she’d never be able to trust me. You don’t know how it felt. It hurt so badly because it was true. I needed to do something. I needed to change. I wanted to prove them wrong. So I did. I thought by blocking you out for a while it’d make things easier. Things are getting better now. My mom isn’t so ashamed of me now but that could all just be for Molly’s sake. I’m sorry for shutting you out it was just hard.”

Jack bit his bottom lip to stop the tears that threatened to spill. Alex was just staring at him and Jack had no idea what his reaction would be. Alex took him by surprise when he pulled him to a bone crushing hug.

“Jack! Why didn’t you tell me about this earlier? I thought you hated me or that I’d done something wrong. I would have been there to help you. When you first started being distant I just put it down to grief but then you stopped returning my calls so I stopped trying. I should have been here to help you. Promise you’ll let me in from now on?”

Jack opened his eyes and suddenly he was face to face with Alex. Jack had never noticed how amazing Alex’s eyes looked in the dim light. They were a warm caramel brown colour. The air was filled with the smell of his cologne and it was a comforting smell that Jack had missed. They stared at each other for a few moments and the next thing he felt was Alex’s lips on his. Or was it his lips on Alex’s? He wasn’t quiet sure.

Jack didn't know what was coming over him. It had been such a relief to finally tell Alex what was going on in his head. He had someone to share his burden with. Alex had been really supportive of Jack and gave him his space to talk and unload all his emotions on him. Jack was grateful but even after all this how had he come to be kissing Alex? How had their friendly embrace turn into this? He was kissing his best friend! Jack was by no mean a homophobe. Two of his best friends were gay and in a relationship with each other. In fact Jack admired how strong Rian and Zack’s relationship was.

Jack's mind was torn. Part of his mind was concentrating on just how good Alex’s lips felt on his while the other part was screaming that this was just the effect of too much wine and an overload of emotions! That part was screaming at him to do something. That part won. Jack pulled away from Alex. He suddenly felt embarrassed when he saw Alex smiling shyly back at him. A slight blush covered Alex's cheeks.

"I'm sorry," Jack mumbled standing to leave. "I shouldn't have done that. You can stay in the guest room tonight. It’s all set up for you now."

With these words Jack stood up and practically ran upstairs, ignoring Alex’s calls for him to come back and talk. He didn’t stop until he was in the safe confines of his bedroom where he collapsed on his bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry for the major delay between updates. School is just finishing up and I've been bust studying for really important exams. I took a break from study to give you this update. Hope ye all like it. We thought it would be better to give yiu a Jack update so ye could all see what's going through his head...

Comment and let us know what you think. Comments inspire us to write.