Status: Finished

In a World of Grey

01- The Clouds Are Hanging Over

Abigail Grey sat down at her usual seat in the back. She had a black over-sized hoodie covering her tiny frame. She wore dark blue jeans and her normal black ballet flats. She kept her hood on as she opened her notebook to a clean page. She extract a black Bic ball point crystal pen and was poised to write notes. She started with the date and class, and waited for other students to get to their seats.

Their professor wasn't there yet. She put her pen down and stood up to exit the room once again. She walked down the hall and entered a practice room, usually meant for pianists and vocalists, but she flipped the lights on and closed the blinds.

She pulled her cover up from her back pocket and looked at her reflection. She had black bags underneath her eyes from the lack of sleep and the fact that she was bruised. She knew Josh never meant to hurt her. She had been running her mouth just like she had always done.

Her skin was extremely pale, her hair was brown in a pixie hair cut that was badly in need of a trimming. Her eyes were light blue and they were dull. She quickly put on an extra layer of cover up prior to going back to class. She seen that her usual buddy sat next to her.

Ronnie Winters, the same guy that stuck it out with her for many years. They knew each other since they were kids. Ronnie looked up at her. He knew what had been happening between her and Josh for a few years now. But everytime he tried to convince her not to take Josh back, she always said that he would change. That Ronnie was just lecturing her like he always done since they were kids.

"I see you've got more make up on." said Ronnie with a sigh.

Abigail simply nodded and sat down. She and Ronnie always had that funny type of relationship. Maybe it wasn't a relationship at all. They often sat together in silence. He'd talk to others around him while she stared into space, like a dysfunctional Jay and Silent Bob.

"Is he hitting you again?" asked Ronnie in a quiet whisper that was almost in audible for her to hear.

Abigail looked up at him, afraid to show too much. She cast her eyes downward, "No, I'm alright. It's just from the lack of sleep. I think I might have insomnia or something." she said softly as she wrung her hands together inside of her hoodie pocket.

Ronnie shook his head, "I don't know why you cover up for him. If he honestly loved you..."

"You have no right to tell me what to do or how to live my life." stated Abigail quite forcefully.

Ronnie looked at her, clearly shocked that she had spoken to him that way. His mouth hung open, and then he shut it before shaking his head.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to..." she started, realizing that she was on the brim of tears. She inhaled deeply and turned the other way.

"You're right that I can't tell you what to do or how to live your life. But he just might end up killing you. Don't you realize that?" asked Ronnie as he stared into her eyes with a hand gently rubbing her hand.

Abigail looked him in the eyes. His eyes were dark blue and shiny like he was about to cry. She sighed and looked down at his hand on hers, "Ronnie, I need to talk to you. Maybe after class is over." she then looked back up at him.

Ronnie could tell that the next conversation was going to be a very serious one by the tone of her voice. Her eyes were as cold as stone as she looked him straight in the eye before turning back to her notebook in front of her.

"Good morning class. Today we're going to be discussing this article I found today..." started Professor Alto as he entered the class.

Abigail began taking notes as the class begun. She kept herself busy in hopes of drowning out the pain. She could feel the seat press up against a nasty bruise on the back of her thigh. And the ribs still felt tender as she tried to find a comfortable position.

She looked up momentarily and looked out the window. She seen the clouds hanging over them. The wind blew gently at the trees. Somehow everything managed to look gray. The leaves on the trees, the clouds, the ground, even the buildings. Everything just seemed to be stuck in monotone, matching Abigail's view.

She felt that she would always be stuck in a world of gray. Even her last name was Grey, and that was where she rested her case.

Abigail turned her attention back to the class. She carefully wrote down her notes and didn't say much the whole time. After class was let out, she stood and waited for Ronnie. She slipped her notebook into her purse along with her pen. He often gave her rides home, but she told Josh that she took the bus.

Ronnie stood and walked with Abigail out of the classroom. When they got outside they stood by the bus stop, so that way he could smoke prior to taking Abigail home, and to not raise suspicion if she were to come home early.

Abigail crossed her arms, "Ronnie, we've been friends since we were kids." she stated flatly.

Ronnie turned to her, "Yes we have. Why do you ask?"

Abigail turned towards him, "Not once did I ever say shit about your girlfriends..."

Ronnie gasped, he was flabbergasted. "Yeah? Well none of them beat the shit out of me on a daily basis either." he said as he looked at her in disbelief.

"Ronnie, please try to understand. I love Josh. And so what if we argue, that's what normal couples do! And if you're not going to try and understand, then I guess our friendship is through. I'm tired of having you lecture me again and again..."

"Lecture you? I wish, but Abby, this is real life! I don't like seeing you hurt like this. You were bright and beautiful, smart and a talented author. Then that loser ends up taking it all from you, and he treats you like a dog!" screamed Ronnie.

Abigail felt the tears well and fall over her bottom eye lid in rebellion. She quickly wiped them away. "I really thought that you were my friend. Someone I could count on. Thanks for letting me know now." she said angrily as she sighed with fustration.

Ronnie's expression softened, "Abby, you know I don't want to hurt you, but it's the truth."

"Yeah, whatever. Don't bother with giving me a ride home. I'll catch the bus from now on." said Abigail as she walked towards the bus that had just pulled up. She turned around and got on. She slipped a few coins in the toll box before finding a seat in the back.

She pulled out her mp3 player and began listening to Tarja. She closed her eyes and sunk herself into the world created by "My Little Phoenix." She didn't have to watch for her stop because she knew it so well. She just tried to forget about Ronnie. Forget all their good times as kids, and especially what he had said about Josh.

So what if he was right?
♠ ♠ ♠
How do you like it? Thanks for reading. Comments?