Status: Finished

In a World of Grey

03- The Sun Breaks Thru

"Abigail? Abigail! Oh my god! Are you okay? I heard screaming and seen you run to the back... What happened?" asked Ronnie as he noticed Josh laying on the ground.

Abigail turned, she looked tired. Her hands had blood on them as did the front of her clothes. Her eyes were red and swollen. She still had a red hand print on her cheek. Her left eye was swollen and beginning to turn black.

Ronnie walked up to her and held her in his arms. He held her tightly as he felt her beginning to cry. "Shh... it's okay. We should go inside and call the cops."

Abigail pulled back and nodded, "Alright."

They both walked back into the house in silence. After ten minutes, the cops along with the coroner arrived on the scene.

"So you live here?" asked Officer Perry as he held his little pad, ready to take notes.

Abigail nodded, "Yeah. I've lived here for three years with my boyfriend Josh."

"Is Josh, the one talking to Officer Williams?" asked Perry as he indicated towards Ronnie before quickly jotting down her response.

Abigail shook her head, "No. That's Ronnie Winters, he's a friend of mine."

"So tell me from the beginning what happened." said Perry as he looked at her.

Abigail sighed, "My boyfriend Josh has been beating me. I'm sure you've got reports on him some where in your files. But today, I've finally had enough. I told him that I was going to leave him and that's when he got all crazy on me. I ran and he followed me. He had a knife in his hands, and I managed to take it away from him. Then Ronnie came and I took my chance, and I stabbed him. I know I'm probably going to go to jail, but..."

Officer Perry put a hand on her shoulder, "Listen, you're not going to jail. If what you said is true, then it's self-defense. If he's on our files, then the judge will take your side. But so far, from what I see anyway, you're one of the lucky ones." he said with a smile.

Abigail looked up at him and felt the tears well in her eyes, "So I'm... free?" she asked softly as she pulled the blanket around her tighter.

Officer Perry nodded, "You are free. Maybe this young gentleman can take you home so you can get some rest, clean up and maybe put something on that eye of yours. Did Josh do that?" he asked as he turned her head towards the light better.

Abigail nodded, "Yeah, right before he began chasing me." she said as she felt the tears escape from her eyes.

Officer Perry nodded, "Alright, well let me get a photo of that for evidence. It seems like you've done some extensive damage to Josh, but it's better to be safe than sorry." he said with a wink.

After the police were done, her home was taped up for evidence. Abigail was allowed to go in and get what was absolutely necessary. She walked out with her backpack and a small duffle bag. Inside were all the possessions that she had left.

She walked out to Ronnie's car and got in the front seat. She threw her things in the back and sighed heavily. She looked at the house that had been her prison for years. It seemed so empty and cold now.

Ronnie put a hand on her hand, "It's going to be alright. You can stay with me for as long as you like." he said softly.

For the first time Abigail smiled, "Thanks. And thank you for being there for me. Even though I was a jerk."

Ronnie smiled, "You're not a jerk. You were just protecting what was yours. But let's put this behind us. Friends?" he asked as he held out his hand.

Abigail nodded and shook his hand, "Friends."

Ronnie grinned as he started up the car. They drove off into the sunset.

Abigail stared out of the window and thought of her life. The good times that she did have with Josh, and the precious moments that she had with Ronnie. Everything no longer looked gray. It was like she was born again.

The trees were green from spring. The blossoms were brilliant against their dreary background. The sun seemed to beckon the colors from all the world for everyone to see. And Abigail, for once, enjoyed not being gray.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like it? Thanks for reading. Comments?