The Truth About Heaven

Five

The day passed slowly. Frank and Sarah sat and talked all day. Sometimes the conversation lapsed. Other times it flowed faster than any downhill stream. He told her all about touring and how it took such a toll on his life. She told him how she loved to go to the park down the road and climb into that old gum tree near the swing set, and sit there all day, watching the people walk by. They slowly dissected each other, until they had a greater knowledge of each other than most of the people surrounding them in their lives.

“My girlfriend left me earlier on this year. I was constantly away from her due to touring, and our relationship couldn’t talk it anymore. Our precious moments together became constantly anger-ridden and tense. She decided it was for the best.”

Hours passed by and they didn’t even notice.

“I haven’t been able to hold onto a boyfriend. My father scares them all off. He’s slowly ruining my life. I can’t go back to live with him once I get out of here. I don’t know where I’m going to go. Maybe I’ll just move in with Jordan. That’s a little depressing.”

Towards three that afternoon, Sarah’s doctor came to check up on her. He asked Frank to leave, but as he stood up, Sarah asked him to stay. So he settled back into the chair and watched the doctor with slightly grey hair check out Sarah’s stats.

“Miss Cahill, how’re you feeling?” he asked as he peered over his wire-rimmed glasses at her.

“I’m feeling better. A little worse for wear but I mean, I’m feeling a lot better.” She replied, sitting up a little in her bed.

“Well, if you’re okay with it, I think it’s alright for us to send you home now. You’re free to go once the nurses sign you out. Talk to one of them about arranging a check up with me in two weeks. All the best.” And with a swift flick of his hand, he left the two alone again.

After a few moments silence, Frank finally spoke.

“So I guess that’s pretty exciting. I can give you a lift home, before I drop off the rental car if you want. I had better be going anyway, I have a plane to catch home tonight.”

Sarah’s mood dropped steeply as she realized that this was probably the last time they’d see each other. They lived in different worlds. She lived in California, whilst he lived in Jersey. At least the times he wasn’t touring that was.

“Yeah. That’d be nice.”

She watched Frank as she pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket, and grabbed the pen leaning on her bedside table. He scribbled down a number and handed it to her. As she reached for the paper, her fingers grazed his skin, and they were suspended there, both with one hand on the small, crumpled piece of paper.

Sarah glanced up at Frank, and met his cool gaze.

“When I first woke up in the hospital, you said that you weren’t going to leave until you had made sure I had gotten out of this mess. You said you’d do anything to help me do that. Do you remember?”

Frank nodded slowly, his hand still gripping the slip of paper tightly, inches away from her fingertips.

“I want you to run away with me.”