The Truth About Heaven

Six

Six
Suddenly the nurse walked into the room, breaking up the tense situation. Frank let go of the slip of paper and sat in contemplative thought while the nurse pushed pages and pages of paperwork at Sarah, so that she could sign out.

He couldn’t run away. That’s just so… childish. Running away was defiantly an attractive thought, but it just wasn’t an option. There were so many things he couldn’t just leave, like signing the deeds of the house over to Jamia, and the Band. Ad what would the band do without him? My Chemical Romance would cease to exist without him.

Suddenly his cell phone rang. The nurse stared at him in disapproval. Frank had forgotten you weren’t allowed to have cells on in hospitals. He silenced the default Nokia tone, and looked at the caller ID.

It was Jamia.

He excused himself out into the hall, and pressed the green answer button.

“Hello?”

“What are you playing at?’, he heard Jamia scream down the phone at him. ‘We’re on a break, remember? We haven’t broken up yet!”

“Jamia calm down.’ Frank snapped into the phone. ‘What the fuck are you carrying on about?”

“You couldn’t help yourself, could you? You had to rub this all in my face by going out and getting photographed with some young girl. And then I ring this morning, and Bob tells me that you didn’t come home last night. How could you do this to me?”

Frank slumped into a chair. He could hear Jamia start crying, and then Hyperventilating.

“Jamia, Stop it. You’re hysterical. It’s not what you think. She turned up backstage after our show last night, her father owns the club we played at. She had an argument with her friend, and then another with me, and she disappeared into the bathroom. I had been horrible to her and I went in there to apologize, and found her passed out in a pool of her own vomit. She had overdosed on Cocaine. I went in the Ambulance and then fell asleep in the chair next to her bed, while I made sure she was okay. Nothing happened. I’m still at the hospital.” Frank explained, hardly pausing to take a breath.

“Oh likely story. I know what your like Frank. And I’m not surprised you tried to turn it around like this.”

“Turn it around like what, Jamia?”

“To make yourself a hero and to make me feel bad. It’s always the same. I’m always the bad guy.”

Frank lost it. Any control he had on his anger disappeared, and he let it fly at Jamia.

“HOW DARE YOU? You’re always the one picking at me. ‘Frank, when are you going to come home? You’re never home. I’m lonely.’ You have always been against me being in the band. You decide to break it off ‘cause you can’t handle being away all the time, but you want me to reserve myself for you forever. I’m not doing it Jamia. I don’t care. And you can fucking wait till I get home for me to sign the deeds of the house over to you. It’s not a good time for me, and I’m not rearranging my life for you anymore. Goodbye Jamia.”

And with that he hung up on her. He got up slowly, still shaking slightly from rage. He walked back into Sarah’s room and resumed his seat in the chair next to her. The nurse gathered her paperwork, and left leaving the two alone again.

“Are you okay?” Sarah asked tenderly.
“Yeah. It’s just my ex. She just can’t let go. But it’s over now. I’m never dealing with her again.” He let out a heartbroken sigh.

They sat there in silence for a while, before Sarah bravely broke the silence.

“Frank, I’m serious. I want you to run away with me. To get away from this life. Start a new. To not have any of these worries anymore.”

Frank looked up into Sarah’s face.

“But… how…”

“Frank,’ she interjected. ‘I have been planning this for a few years now. I have more than enough money stashed away, and friends ready to make false documents. All you need to do is say yes.”

Frank looked at her pleading, pathetic face, images of the band and his life running through his head.

“Yes...”

“Yes?”

“Yes.”