Status: Complete.

Keep the Car Running

The river is too deep to swim across..

There is a force, unknown, indescribable. I shall do my best to explain. I do not know their name, but they know mine. How, you ask? I told them; years and years ago. It’s a fear, a passion, a feeling that’s unfathomable to most. To most, this is terrifying. I, my friend, have come to live with it. It lives deep down inside me. I like to keep it there. When I close my eyes at night and lay my head down, it takes me away.

Where to, you ask? It never changes, they don’t care for change. It’s the same old place, my friend. A city, the same every time, though by a different name each time. Empty, dark, deserted. I wander the streets, aimlessly and in silence. There is no one else in sight but the city lights fill the sky, high above my head. No matter the name, the season, the time, it’s always cold; the kind of cold that freezes you down to the bones. Each time I visit this place, I feel my heart seemingly get harder, colder, detached.

At night, the only sound to be heard is the one you make when you sleep. This, my friend, is supposed to be a peaceful, tranquil sound. Not in this story. Fear consumes the air; lingering around you at every turn.
I don’t know when they will come. Come to take me away, that is. I’m not sure they even know. But I patiently await their arrival. How they will come? In my sleep, of course. And when they do, I’ll be taken away…

So if I don’t return, please don’t think I have deserted you or left you alone. I was never here to begin with…

Keep the car running.