Status: Ramblings of a mixed opinion.

Field of Corpses

Field of Torn Corpses

We couldn't even tell we were lost. We just kept walking around, getting deeper into the forest, not paying much attention to anything but talking to each other. It got to the point we where we stopped walking, and just sat down to talk.

The mood was upbeat at first, but the tone changed after about ten minutes. The conversation slowly turned into us talking about being dead, and our thoughts on it.

"You know," I went to tell Christian a story, "there was a time I wanted nothing more to be dead."

Christian gave me an understanding look, and sat there listening for me to go on.

"It was for the reason of being away from everyone though. I wished eveyone else in the world would die, but I knew it wouldn't happen, so I wanted to instead. I hated everything...

I ran away multiple times, but the last time was the most successful time. Friends and I ran away to get away from our parents, adults, and any authority over us. It was a stupid idea, but at the time I was having the time of my life.

That night, I was the last one to fall asleep. At the moment of being awake, it felt like I was the only one living. It felt perfect, like the world was mine. The place we were staying was an abandoned old trailer down a dirt road, giving off the feel that the world had ended, mostly because of the condition of the trailer.

Even thought it had been broken, walls had been torn, and the ceiling was most likely to fall through, we wanted to stay there. There was so much crap all over the floors, but we didn't care. ...Just I had been for such a little time before I died; I didn't care about anything."

"Before Curt and Zave went into the trailer to sleep, we sat on the roof of a chicken-coop right behind the house. It was perfect view of some mountains, and the sunset. So we sat there smoking weed, and watching the sunset. Curt and Zave talked the whole time, even though I was just staring off thinking.

I was so lost in my own world, I hadn't noticed they left to go inside. I was just sitting on the roof by myself for a few hours. That's when I loved the feeling of being so alone, and isolated. I wanted to die..."

"Now here I am, dead, and I hate it..." I trailed off.

"Why?"

"Because, I've always hated the feeling of abandonment, and that's how death feels. It's slow, draining, and it leaves me with a feeling of being empty."

"I'm here though."

"Yea, the only reason life would have been worth living if I met you before I died."

"You still have time... We can be living again together. You saved me so I could..."

"You saved me too, but you came to me at such a bad time. Can't you see how close to death I am?"

"I'm partially dead too. I hate it, even if I used to want to die. But I'm still here..."

"You used to want to die?" I asked unbelievingly.

"Yea, which I guess I got my wish, but I unknowingly allowed her to do it."

"What do you mean?"

"I knew she was the biggest reason I was so stressed, and sinking further into depression, but I loved her. I couldn't leave her, so I stayed put, wishing I'd die... when really, all a long, she was killing me."

Before I could even try to think of what to say, he continued talking.

"There was this time, when I had gone to see her. It was my last day in the state she lived in, and I had thought that she might have wanted to see me.

I went to her house, to see her, and she had some other guy over. Of course bad thoughts got into my head, and unfortunately, they were most likely true. I especially started believing them when she didn't even want to see me. Instead, she slammed the door on my face."

"I took it hard, and it hurt me so bad. I couldn't help but to think how much I didn't even want to live life if I loved and never got it back. Like you, I always lived in a world of abandonment, and no one ever understood me.

Later that night, I was so depressed. I grabbed a knife, and seriously debated, and I wanted to so bad, but I couldn't do it. Instead, I left a scar on myself... A scar reminding me I did get my wish."

I felt bad for Christian, and I wished I could take these bad memories away. He didn't deserve that, and I couldn't even think of what other things she had done to him. It made me want to end this search for our last chance of living, and find her decaying carcus instead. I wanted to find her wandering corpse, slaughter it until she was in several peices.

I wanted to cut her head off, and cut each part of her face, one-by-one, ripping her eyes out. I'd take a stick for every body part and limb, saving her heart, and I'd scewer them each, then ram the other end of the stick into the ground. As soon as I was done, I'd set it all on fire. Completely ending her for good.

Lastly, just to avenge Christian's heart, I'd take hers and pull it apart with my teeth, slowly swallowing each bit of it.

No one ever wanted to be around me when it happened, but especially when I was a zombie, all would suffer as soon as my hate broke loose, and I hated her with all of the rest of my being...

"...I understand you," I finally said after a short silence.

"You being the only one."

I just looked into his eyes, and I tried not to smile. He always brought that thing onto my face...

"So, do you know how to get back from here?"

I forgot I didn't know the way back until he asked that. "I...I'm sure we can figure it out."

It looked like he was trying not to laugh. "So we're lost in a dark forest then."

I hadn't realized how dark it was up till now. The only thing I could think of was how much darker it had gotten over the time we'd been there.

"It wasn't this dark when we got here," I told Christian as I stared up, trying to see the sky past the thick trees over us.

Soon, Christian's smile faded and he looked at me seriously. "Should we be getting back then?"

I nodded my head quickly, then stood up. "Let's find our way back."

On our way through the forest, trying to get back, it started getting colder. That wasn't exactly normal for me anyway, but especially when neither of us felt cold at all not too long ago. Not only was the cold making it weird, but the strong wind we felt, even through all the trees.

"You're sure Billie was in the car right?"

"Yea. I left him in there with a window slightly rolled down."

"Because I rolled a window down for him earlier when he and I were in the car. I just never rolled it up..."

My eyes went wide when I realized how bad this actually could have been.

I didn't want to worry Christian, so I kept my mouth shut. If the window had actually been down for so long with Billie in it, the smell could have travelled miles by now. Especially when it had been hot earlier. By this point, especially with us not there to protect him, Billie could have been eaten by zombies by now. For Christian's sake though, I was hoping he managed to escape.

I started walking faster, trying hard to remember the way back, and Christian was right beside me, with a worried look on his face. Still, he didn't say a thing.

By the time certain trees, or areas, were looking familiar, the wind had gotten worse. As strange as it was, I was too concerned with Christian's dog.

"I think we turn here," Christian said unexpectedly.

I glanced at him, then over to where he thought we were supposed to go. I was sure he was right, and started walking that way, impatient to get out of the trees.

Once we reached a point we could see the road, Christian sighed. "I guess we're lucky for once."

Before I could smile and believe his theory, I had to see Billie was alright, just so I knew Christian would be fine. I couldn't see my car yet, so I still wasn't sure of what to think. I wanted to tell myself everything would be okay, but something was telling me otherwise.

When we finally reached the car, and my eyes were locked, ready to see my windows broken in, and a dead dog. My mind was so set on it, but when we got close enough, I was wrong.

There was no dead dog, only a missing one.

I looked over at Christian, but before I could even say anything, I could tell he already knew by the look on his face.

"Are we going to look for him?" Christian sounded quiet under the noise from the wind.

I wanted to say no so badly, but how could I bring myself into doing that? This was Christian's dog, and Christian was the only one not abandoning me. I couldn't have him mad at me for not giving a shit about his dog; the only other thing besides me with life in it, that has stayed by Christian's side.

All I could do was nod my head, and start walking up the road, not noticing Christian wasn't behind me.

Not even twenty seconds later, I could here Christian calling me. "Gloria! Turn around!"

I turned around half-expecting to see a zombie coming towards the car, but instead I saw Christian's dog running at us.

I was wanting to be happy for Christian, or even smile, but that was hard to do after what I saw yards behind Billie. My jaw was probably falling off by now.

"Get in and start the car!" I commanded Christian as I bolted past him, and the car, and went to get Billie.

I hoped he did what I said instead of standing there, transfixed by what was happening. I would have been, if I hadn't loved that zombie so much. Somehow I mananged to ignore the horrifying sight in front of me, and grew close to getting Billie.

"Billie," I called frantically.

He came running to me, and I picked him up as fast as my hands and arms would allow. As soon as I had ahold of him, I was running back to the car as fast as I could.

For the first time being dead, I was deathly scared of something.

It wasn't the group of zombies chasing after Billie, and it wasn't the fact a lightening storm had started. It was the fact that I didn't know if I could run fast enough to escape the thing behind me.

I almost started crying, thinking I wasn't going to make it. I was going to be sucked in and torn apart. Christian would have been alone again, if he even thought of driving away without me. We would have been completely dead, and it wouldn't have been us dying together. I'd be in peices, scattered across the placeand his body would be tossed so much further away than me.

"Christian!" I screamed as I reached the car. He swung open the door, and I got in as fast as I could, making sure the dog came in with me. Before I could even shut the door, Christian sped off, driving away from the tornado as fast as he could.

Christian was panicking, and I was breathless. I was also scared, but relieved we were in a car now.

If a zombie could out-run a tornado, then a car could get away so much quicker.

By the time we got further enough away from it, Christian was able to sigh, and I caught my breath. There wasn't much need to panick now, especially once I looked back to see the tornado had started to dissappear.

It felt like it had gone away so soon, but maybe Christian was right. 'We were luck for once.'

I turned back into my seat, and started looking out the front windows. It looked brighter in the distance, but it was hell on the left side of the forestless side of the road, where the empty space of green ground used to be. The tornado had obviously passed through, coming from that way, and veered off so it ended behind my car.

It showed it had gone through where I was looking though.

All I could see, covering the green grass, was a field of corpses, all torn apart.
♠ ♠ ♠
Weird, huh? Unexpected.