Status: Ramblings of a mixed opinion.

Field of Corpses

Eternal Refuge

Just as the boys had thought, Todd was getting up, grabbing for his gun, about to threaten Tre, for absolutely nothing. At least to them. In the corner of Todd's eye though, getting up from his chair, ready to head right after Tre, he saw movement out of his left peripheral vision.

"What in the hell?" Todd yelled, dashing toward the window, actually wobbling as fast as he could, cocking his gun one last time. "'Thought I killed you!"

With an angry huff, or two, he crookedly walked in hurry toward the sliding glass doors to the balcony. Billie and Mike stood, transfixed, not knowing what to do. They were scared, themselves, but was it really worth it to save an already dead girl? Todd wouldn't allow them to be anywhere near him if they tried to help her.

Todd propped his stubby elbow on the edge of the railing, to the balcony, as steadily as he could, trying to aim at the zombie girl, making sure he blew her frothy brains out the next time. He was going to let her stand fully first, all to make sure she'd have to fall down again. That was the sicko fuck's favorite part, seeing the brains ooze from the cracks in the skull, caused upon impact with the pavement.

"Todd, no!" Billie finally screamed, now wishing he hadn't. It bought the poor thing some time though. His yelling had caused Todd to jump from being startled, and lost his accurate aim he had pointed toward the zombie below.

"You idiot!" Todd screamed at Billie, only looking away for a second, "she's only gunna come'afterus!" He spat to the side, and repositioned himself again, this time ready to shoot before one of the boys could stop him again.

Panicking, Mike and Billie watched in horror, not knowing what to do. Tre had stopped in his place, turned, facing the window. He now knew what had been going on the whole time, and wished he had just gone along with Mike and Billie when he had the chance. That zombie girl didn't deserve to get shot, unless she was coming after them, and Tre realized that Mike and Billie were only trying to help her get away.

It's like they knew she wasn't going to come after them, for some reason. Seeing her in the Green Day shirt said it all, the second she stood. It was then Tre wanted to knock the gun out of Todd's hand, taking it for himself, and running that old man out of the apartment they stayed in. Tre figured he'd be a better shot anyway.

Before Tre could even move though, someone had already beaten him to Todd. Out of nowhere, it seemed, a man jumped down, onto the porch of their apartment from the roof. Before Todd could even grasp onto what was happening, he had a Schrade knife lodged in his jugular. The gun dropped out of his hands within seconds, falling to the pavement below.

The boys watched in shock as the man standing before Todd lowered himself over his body, after he'd fallen, and crushed the front of his skull with one fist. They had no idea what he had done to Todd, but once he stood, hand covered in a bloody mess, Todd had a hole right in the front of his head. All three of them were scared, but could not move.

Especially once the man had turned around with a smile that held a now blood stained joint. Though he looked as if he was one of the walking dead, he took a long drag, and blew out a huge cloud of smoke, handing the joint to the closest man, being the shortest.

Billie took the joint without question, with shaking hands, never taking his eyes off the zombie-like man before him. He could feel every twitch in his legs telling him to run, but he did not want to die like Todd had. This particular zombie knew how to use a knife, and smoke weed, like them. The zombies were only getting smarter, and he didn't want to risk anything.

"This is some good shit man," the zombie-man said as he handed the joint over, never removing the smirk from his lips, also painted in a bloody mess.

Before the boys could do anything, he was quick to run toward the balcony once more, only to jump down to the ground below. They had no idea where he was going, but they considered themselves lucky to not have been touched at all, almost like they didn't dare move, in case he came back. They didn't want him chasing after them. That was the scariest part. If he was going to eat them, he might as well get it over with.

Billie's first reaction was to put the joint in his own mouth, taking a large hit himself. Like it would have been the last taste of Marijuana he'd ever inhale. He didn't care if it was in a zombie's mouth; he needed a taste of reality before he was ripped out from it. It was then he tasted what he had been for years straight.

"This is my shit!" Billie cried in horror, looking straight at his closest friends.

Mike and Tre's eyes widened, and looked at the joint, then back at Billie. "That fucker's been here a while hasn't he?" Tre asked with a shaky voice, already knowing the answer, which sent chills down them all.

The boys could only stare for a few more seconds, when it was like a bolt of electricity, that sent them running toward the door, all together, at once. They didn't grab anything, and completely disregarded the weed in the other wing of their run down apartment building. Nothing mattered, except trying to make it out alive. To at least see their family's loving faces again. It drove them, without any thoughts in mind, other than a zombie-less country.

All the while, the zombie downstairs was headed toward the almost lifeless body in the middle of street. That old man had just tried to shoot down, once more, and luckily, she hadn't been able to stand up yet. Eagan had reached her in time.

Before Gloria knew what was happening, unsteadily standing up, she could see her pets staring at something behind her. She went to turn, but instantly, she was in someone's arms. She went to attack whatever it was holding her, despite the calming, strong arms around her, but once she turned and saw his face, it was instant recognition. She couldn't recall the name, but she knew she had been mislead the whole time.

Christian was not her zombie, if he was at all, dead. He had lied to her, about being the other half, because she knew she was in his arms now. Her other half; the other half zombie was now right before her eyes. Instantly, her heart knew.

"I've missed you," he said, looking her in the eyes.

Without even needing to think of what was just said, she felt it too. "Where have you been?"

"Looking out for you this whole time."

She felt like she could cry at any second, but she felt a stronger need instead. Before any more seconds were wasted, he pulled her in for the strongest kiss she's ever been given. Instantly, all thoughts and memories came rushing back into her skull, and it all made sense.

She remembered the first seconds of her dying, she came across, at that very second, someone who's deathclock was ticking to the exact same beat, like there had been a metronome connecting the two. As he was passing, a joint fell out from behind his ear, and she waited for him to keep walking.

Quickly, she took a few hits, hoping to rid the sadness overcoming her, or to end the new, overwhelming pain, but before she could take enough smoke in, he turned around, noticing he had dropped it. He saw her smoking it, so she let it fall to the ground once more, and ran.

He was not the slightest bit angry with her though. There was something about her, and he knew he needed to find out. That's when Eagan's search for Gloria ensued. That zombie was his, and like turning into the dead, he knew it to be true.

So Gloria kissed him right back, never wanting to separate again. This was the most alive she had felt in years, and it was like a brand new high to her. Just as she was getting addicted, the sound of a gunshot rang through the air, and Gloria had been hit again. It wasn't nearly as big as the last bullet wound, but big enough to turn Eagan's head.

Whoever it was that just shot his zombie was now a completely-dead man. That's when he noticed it what the skinny one, who was trying to take his Gloria away, to be tested on, and destroyed by the government. He knew their plans to capture both of the half deads, and he was not going to have any of it.

Just as he was about to take off to rip the gun out of his hands, they heard a man screaming, coming from the direction Eagan had just come from. That's when Gloria saw her boys being chased by one of her kind. She'd finally found them, she'd been there the whole time, and now her dream was crashing before her eyes. There was no way she was going to allow them to die now, after all this. They had obviously witnessed everything, and thought fleeing would somehow work out, but the zombie, appearing out of nowhere, had found his meal.

With once glance, like Gloria and Eagan had read each others minds, they both took off into separate directions. Being left behind, Geddon, and the poorly named husky, they stared off into separate directions, as if watching what Eagan and Gloria were doing. Billie watched as his 'master' trembled with fear, aiming the gun at what seemed to be the one to rip everything away from Christian, where Geddon couldn't hold still, watching Gloria run away. Though, the cat knew she'd never leave his side, you could almost say he felt bad for the dog. As if Geddon could read Eagan's mind, as he seemed to do with Gloria, he knew Christian would be no more.

Christian went to re-aim his new gun, never knowing the actual power of a shot gun. The first shot had taken him back, causing him to miss her head, and now that a bigger zombie was coming toward him, his aim was a bit shaky. He knew he was turning into one, himself, but there was always something about the death-stare all of them seemed to have. It made him pull the trigger quicker than he should have, causing him to miss. Now he had to reload, and the zombie was walking at a real fast pace.

Christian could now see that this one was the other half zombie, and he just shot the love of this partial zombie's death. This zombie coming after him was not going to stop for anything, but Christian didn't give up trying to reload his gun. The zombie he remembered to be Eagan, was now getting too close for comfort, B-lining it right to Christian.

Just as Christian stood his ground, thinking he had good footing, the barrel of his gun was now in the hands of the zombie that, somehow, he was supposed to help capture. He knew how strong Gloria was, but watching the metal bend upwards, making it impossible to ever shoot again, he lowered the weapon. He was not going to stop this one; he had just threatened the last thread of his love's existence. The feeling of fear took over again. It made him wish he would've just allowed himself to turn into one of those damned things sooner.

Before Christian could even attempt to do anything to save his own life, though, he was yanked forward, being pulled by the gun he was holding onto. Now he was close enough for Eagan's reach, and his skull was caved in before he could even blink once more.

Once Christian's body was on the ground, Eagan was fast to peel the skin away from his skull, pulling the pieces of the bone from his bashed in, cracked head. Then he searched for Christian's pineal gland, popping it into his mouth, while it was still fresh. He had just eaten two, and was finally feeling like this was now just some high, and not an actual zombie apocalypse. The biggest difference was that a Zombies' pineal gland was far more intense.

Though he knew he was only half of one, it was easy to pretend he was one of the last survivors. It was all too fun for Eagan. He had been stuck in the zombie Hell for quite some time, and honestly had no problems with it. In fact, when he first started dying, he knew when to take his first hit of pot, and where his last foot steps were going to be; He was never going to leave, not now that everything was perfect for him.

He had all the free space to grow pot, as he wanted, and didn't need to worry about the cops pulling him over for driving a car shoved full of pot plants and such. There was now a country without all the stupid people, screwing everything up. He didn't have to struggle with the selfish society.

Even if he hadn't already been hiding out, in the woods, when it all took over, he knew when the zombies were spreading, and for once, drugs weren't the worst thing to happen to us Americans (as far as our government was concerned.).

When he first discovered that he was a zombie, or turning into one, he fled to the mountains, only to make sure he wouldn't be one of the ones going crazy on everyone else. Out there, he was going to grow everything he needed, and make all the things he thought necessary for the zombie apocalypse. He knew it was going to be boring, sometimes.

There had to be a way to keep him entertained, he knew it, so he focused his time on all of his plants, making sure they were more lively than he. He had enough to smoke this way, with as many plants as he pleased, yet each day, every month, he found himself in the same state', just waiting to die off completely.

Strangely enough though, the disgusting zombie juice flowing through his veins, and oozing throughout the rest of his body wasn't making him any weaker, nor was it effecting him with much negativity. Death never came, fully, and his intelligence never left. Somehow he knew it to be true, that he, was something special. Of course, nothing was as special as the one he was meant to be with.

Everyday he thought of the time he first saw her; she looked so much livelier. There wasn't skin missing from her bones, and her clothes weren't covered in blood. She had just been wandering, among the zombies, not being bothered by them. He knew she was dying exactly at the same rate as he was, and he'd never forget her short vacation.

Where he first saw her, knowing she did not live in the place, he figured this trip was her family's attempt to fly away, out of hopes it was only in the state they once lived. Still, zombies were starting to come about in California, too. Going home was the only thing they had left, after finding nowhere was safe anymore. They never knew their Gloria was already, slowly, becoming one of them too.

That's when Eagan knew he had to search for her, once everything else started to fall apart. He had no idea where she had gone, but he knew she would be coming back. Gloria was his half zombie, and they'd never be complete as long as distance separated them so greatly. Eventually, Eagan knew, she'd feel that too, and come looking for the one thing to complete herself. Even if she hadn't known what that was exactly; California would have a pull on her.

Now he had her back, and he could feel Death finally loosening it's grip around his throat. He only hoped Gloria felt the same now, no longer feeling like she was still dying. Though he knew her other purpose of returning to California was to find Billie, Mike, and Tre. She'd finally done so, now that they were being chased down by a disgusting, hungry zombie.

Now that Christian lay, completely dead, on the ground, out of his misery, Eagan could run to help Gloria save the guys. Of course, now, to them, it seemed as if they had three zombies chasing after them now. It did appear to be that way, and Eagan could hear the men screaming as Gloria chased after the zombie, trying to eat the men who had made the most sense to her. Neither her, or Eagan would allow it.

Gloria POV

I wouldn't have it. Even now that I had a purpose, and an actual reason to remain, I would not allow my idols to be devoured. Not after all of this. When all along I had been right there, and hadn't even known they had been so damn close, as I pathetically stayed put in the middle of the road. I was sprawled out, do to a random gun-shot, and for all I knew, it could have been Billie, Mike, or Tre that had shot me.

I didn't care. They didn't kill me, and they didn't deserve to be killed. No matter what, they were a reason I tried so hard, and seeing them not too far ahead of a zombie in front of me only got me to push harder. Hardly bleeding, my wounds would gush with each impact of my foot on ground. Though, I could no longer feel my insides rotting, as much.

I had a feeling it was because of Eagan, my long lost love, who I had somehow met before. Most likely in a past life, and now, again, there we were. This time, is was just too chaotic for our long awaited return to one another. I could feel him behind me though, still not knowing what he had just done to Christian.

Then I could hear Mike screaming. "Find a car! Find a fucking car and get in!" I could only think of how stupid that would be though, seeing how close the zombie actually was to getting them.

Eventually, more zombies would come for them, especially if they tried to protect themselves from inside an abandoned car. They needed to get back to safety, being the place they had been staying. For some reason, zombies seemed to have strayed from the place, even knowing what wondrous meals were inside. I couldn't understand that part, but I needed to get them back.

Though I figured it would be quite difficult to convince them of this. Being a zombie, they were probably running from me as well. I could see how tired they were getting, as the zombie ahead wasn't slowing down. They were, and I knew I had to pick up my own pace. The zombie in front of me was going down.

As he grew closer to them, I was getting much closer to him. It was all so intense. I had feelings awaken inside of me, I hadn't felt in the longest of time. I was actually scared for them, seeing this zombie getting so close. I screamed as my legs continually pushed, trying my hardest. It had caused Tre to look back though, and I heard him yell.

"Fuck! Fuck!" He screamed. "She-She's coming after us!"

Now, Mike and Billie both looked back, seeing me running, and they all screamed at once. "I can't run anymore!" Billie called out.

"There's three of them after us now!" Tre yelled, and I had to look back myself. Eagan was now running behind me, almost caught up.

"You have to run, Billie!" I managed to scream out, hoping he heard me. It caused them all to look back again, and unfortunately slow them down. Now I'm sure I had just frightened them even more, I could tell. "Go!"

"They can fucking talk now?!" Tre cried. "Fuck!"

Before I could say or do anything more, the zombie in front of me had practically caught up to them now. I screamed again as I pushed harder, seeing this horror in front of me. I knew now, I wasn't going to save them; not all three.

The zombie ahead lunged after Tre, and managed to grab ahold of his shirt. Pulling him down, the zombie forced Tre to stop dead-run, causing him to fall right down. Now Billie and Mike were ahead, not even realizing what had just happened.

"Guys," I yelled to them, "stop!"

They finally looked back again, not stopping until they saw Tre down. Instantly, they came to a halt, and turned to run back for him. They weren't going to allow death for any of them without a fight, either. That's when I had to get to Tre in time. They wouldn't have been able to do anything.

Finally, I came close enough so I could jump and tackle the zombie to the ground, getting him off of Tre. I wasn't sure if I had made it in time, but I could see the guys watching in horror and I grabbed the zombies head with both of my hands, and twisted as hard as I could. After excruciating seconds of turning his head as hard as I could, finally, I heard the tearing of skin, and was rewarded with his head being torn off from his neck.

I smashed it to the ground, and stomped in his entire face with one Doc Marten boot, and quickly turned back to the twitching body, to smash my fist in through his chest. Cracking ribs and the sound of tearing, rotting skin filled my ears as my hand went into his body. Without stalling, I grabbed for the thing's lifeless heart, and pulled it right out of him. On the ground, I smashed it, and saw Eagan behind me.

"Get them," He said calmly, not even out of breath, "I'll take care of this one."

Without thinking on it, I hurried to Tre, noticing Billie and Mike right there, now. "Tre," I asked, trembling, "have you been bit? Tre?!"

He looked up at me in horror, and swallowed hard. He wasn't making any attempt to move, though. He was obviously transfixed, but I needed to know if he had been bitten by that zombie. It was crucial.

Billie and Mike didn't realize I was trying to help though. Being the good friends they are, they came running at me, in attempts to get me off and away of their friend. It was Mike who had shoved me, pumbling me to the ground next to Tre. He quickly grabbed at my throat, holding me down, hoping I wouldn't try to bite him. I stared up at him, holding still so he knew I wasn't any danger. At least I hoped he'd understand.

Billie was attempting to get Tre onto his feet, who was still staring at me in horror. I could imagine how they felt, but only Eagan and I knew there was no need to. By now, Eagan was slowly approaching Mike, and Billie almost dropped Tre from fear.

"Mike! Behind you!" He yelled, and Mike turned his head back, still holding onto me.

"Let her go." Eagan said calmly, standing still, trying to show him he wasn't about to come after either of them. "Please."

Mike looked back down at me, and I could feel his grip loosen, but he continued to hold me down.

"What the fuck do you want?!" Billie started breaking down, practically in tears. Looking up at Eagan, Billie continued to shout, "You, y-you can have all my pot! Just please-"

"We're trying to help you." Eagan responded, getting a little bit louder now.

Oddly, Mike let me go, to quickly jump up and join his friends. I didn't even stand yet, hoping they believed us. However, I did sit up, to face them, keeping my eye on Tre.

"Has he been bitten?" I asked, trying not to cry myself.

Billie's breathing hitched, and glanced down at Tre. Keeping an eye on us, Mike stood over them while Billie searched Tre's body for any wounds. It was making me nervous, thinking of Tre possibly being bitten. It would have been all my fault.

After nerve racking seconds, Billie finally looked up. "No."

"He's okay?" Mike asked quickly. Billie nodded up and down.

I sighed a sigh of relief and started to stand back up. All three of them watched in horror, like I was going to come after them. But once they saw I only stood to return to Eagan's arms, they let their guard down, just a little. Almost like they understood something now, even if there really was nothing to get.

"We need to get you guys back to that apartment," Eagan said loudly, nodding his head toward the direction behind them. "There's more coming."

"How can we fucking trust you?" Tre asked frantically. "How can you be so calm right now?"

Eagan completely ignored Tre, and looked at me, "I'll take the zombies. You get them back to safety."

"But, won't they follow us into the apartment?"

"No," Eagan said firmly. "I'll explain once we met back up, but you have to hurry."

I looked back over to the guys, who had now noticed the zombies far off in the distance. All three of them were shaking uncontrollably. As if they knew that hadn't got a choice, they helped Tre up to his feet, and cautiously walked toward me and Eagan.

"I promise you," I started to say, "nothing will happen to you guys as long as I'm near you."

They all three practically stopped in place, and Billie sighed, then continued to walk towards me. I turned to walk back to their old apartment, and all three of them followed. I didn't see zombies in the other direction, but I wanted to hurry. Like they seemed to catch on, they walked quickly, almost right beside me.

Within minutes, we were back at the apartment, and they were quick to run up the stairs. As for me, I stayed behind, watching in the distance to see Eagan, working his way back as well. He was fine, and I couldn't see anymore zombies coming our way. I turned back, and took my time going up the stairs to their apartment.

Walking in, slowly, so I wouldn't startle them, I entered to see them all sitting on their couch. Mike had his face and head in his hands, and Billie was completely reclined back, staring straight up at the ceiling. Tre stared forward, ahead of himself, and the second I shut the door, they all looked over at me, at the same time.

I couldn't help but smile. "Wow, I finally get to meet you guys. It's a shame it couldn't have been when I was alive... but I traveled all over to find you guys."

"Why us?" Billie spoke up.

"I figured there would have been a chance you guys had survived, and ... honestly, I want to help you. I don't know how, but I'll do whatever I can. There's no reason you need to be stuck here, too."

"Who are you guys?" Tre asked, referring to Eagan and myself.

"Honestly, I kind of just met him, but... Somehow, we're the only two zombies in this country that can still act like human beings too. Supposedly the Government knows about us, and were trying to capture Eagan and I. For experiments. They're calling us half-deads."

They looked stunned, and I knew they probably had a million questions they wanted to ask. Same goes for me and them, though. Here I was, in Green Day's apartment, protecting them from zombies. As my zombie approached, we could hear him coming up the stairs. Even knowing who it was, they all sat on edge.

"So," Tre started, as Eagan opened the door, "half deads, how are you the only two?"

I went to answer, "I don't even kn-"

"Pot." Eagan answered, interrupting me.

They all three were taken back at this. "What?!"

Eagan nodded. "The smell keeps them away, and I just so happened to be smoking as soon as I began... dying." He told them, knowing how confusing this was going to sound. "Same with her. No one else was thinking of smoking weed as the zombie disease was taking over. It just so happened to be the only thing in my life that didn't turn its back on me."

"So that kept you guys living... partially?" Billie asked, overly intrigued.

"Yea, I don't understand it, either, but...," Eagan trailed off, glancing over at Todd's dead body. It caused them all to look.

"Um, why did you do that to his head?" Tre asked, overly confused.

Eagan smirked. "Pineal glands happen to be my favorite, now that, being dead, I'm not exactly judged for eating them."

"Gross." Mike said, looking away from the dead body. "Can you at least throw his body outside?"

I couldn't help but to laugh at this. We all started chuckling a bit as I helped Eagan dump his body over the railing. As we were doing so, Billie stood up, and began walking into the other part of the apartment. It was growing dark, but he came back with a candle, and what looked like a handful of nugs.

"So, I know- Eagan right?" Eagan nodded. "You have already been smoking my shit," he sounded a little uneasy as he laughed, "but you guys look like you could smoke a few bowls."

It was true, to both statements from Billie. We did want to, and Eagan had secretly been able to get into their apartment to smoke their weed. He had been waiting for me, I guess, knowing somehow this is where I would come. Somehow Billie knew, and yet, didn't seem to care. Which he shouldn't have; we just saved their lives.

So finally, what I waited my whole life to do, was happening. It seemed to never stop, the process of loading bowl after bowl, and rolling joint after blunt. Being so high, all of us, we couldn't stop laughing, and like they knew they had a fighting chance to escape, we didn't have any trouble in the world at this moment.

I had the love of my life, sitting in my idols' living room, smoking weed, and I honestly couldn't have been happier. Still, knowing that I would have to help them leave this shit filled country, soon, didn't really get me enthused. Though I knew how happy their families would be to see them again. In the end, that's all that mattered. I knew I'd find a way to get them back to their wives and kids.

I just didn't know how...