Status: Completed.

The End of Everything That Once Was Known

1/1

“Dan, please.” The woman sobbed, trying to hold on to the shreds of her marriage, trying to hold on to her life. The man scowled, shaking his head. His thick dark hair moved into his green eyes, as she sobbed, trying to hold onto him.

“I can’t do it any more, Catherine.” Dan yelled, throwing his drink at the wall, causing it to explode onto the blue walls of their living room. Shards of glass and droplets of water poured down the picture of them together. Their wedding picture crashed down from it’s previous spot on their wall, shattering in the impact of colliding with the hard wood floor. “I can’t stay married to you when you can’t give me the one thing that I wanted.”

“I’ve tried, Dan. It isn’t from lack of trying!” Catherine’s voice darkened, her black mascara running down her red cheeks. She didn’t understand the advertisement of water-proof mascara, it was a fallacy, after all. Much like her wedding vows, apparently.

“I never said that it was!”

“What happened to our wedding vows, Daniel? Huh? What did those mean to you? To me it meant that through everything, we would stick by each other’s sides. No matter what. Even if I can’t carry a child to term.” She yelled, her anger getting the better of her, and finally taking the papers he kept shoving at her.

“I want a family, Cat. You can’t give me what I want.” Dan answered finally, his head hung low as he realized the truth of her words. He had meant something with his wedding vows, however, he wanted a family, and Catherine couldn’t give him what he wanted; what he needed. “Catherine, there’s another woman,” he admitted with solemn, “she’s pregnant.”

Catherine heard his words loud and clear. She took the pen off of the counter, and quickly signed on the dotted line.

“Get out.”

As Catherine let the man of her dreams walk out of her life for the last time, she smiled slightly. It was for the best, as her mother would say. As the front door slammed, she cried.