Status: Completed.

The End of Everything That Once Was Known

2/2

The loud beep of the cash register sounded through her ears as Catherine walked into the store. She smiled pleasantly at the teenage cashier, before grabbing a red basket. Walking down the produce isle, she sighed. The time was leaning on about ten o’clock but Catherine couldn’t help herself. It wasn’t that often she could get away from everything, and go shopping. So as soon as she was out of the office, she went to the store, before going home to her dog and her quiet house. Living alone hadn’t been easy, she slightly missed the way she could depend on someone being there to pick up dinner. After grabbing a few more items, and some coffee, she made it to the lone checker, and placed down her basket.
“Hey, Cat. How are you?” The checker smiled, her brilliant white teeth shining as the florescent lights hit them. Her blond hair was pulled back into a loose ponytail as her blue eyes stared up at the woman in question.
“Pretty good, Jess. You?”
“Okay. Chad and I got into a huge fight, and now I’m not even sure we’re still together.” As the teen rambled on, Catherine ran a hand through her brown hair, and turned her blue eyes on the clock. It was ten fifteen now, and if she wanted to make it to work tomorrow on time, she’d have to get to bed by eleven. “What do you think?”
“I’m sorry, Jess. It’s been that kind of night.” Catherine smiled, shaking her head. Jess shot her a sympathetic smile, shaking her head.
“It doesn’t matter. It’s just your typical teenage girl issues. I’m sure I’ll be over it and onto something new soon.” She smiled again, before her eyes glanced at the clock. “You work tomorrow?”
“Monday through Friday.” Cat smiled, as Jess shook her head.
“Mom says you need to take a day off.” Jess laughed, shaking her head once more. “Not like she ever does.” Jess’ mother’s name was Crystal, a business owner from up town who had been Cat’s best friend for years. They were so close that sometimes it seemed that they were sisters. Jess and Catherine got along famously, and Catherine also felt that Jess was something like a daughter to her.
“Yeah, yeah. She tells me every day.” She shook her head, as Jess smiled. “I have an idea, why don’t you come to my house tomorrow, and hang out with me and Sasha? He misses you, you know. And besides, it’ll get your mind off of Chad.” Catherine offered, as Jess nodded her head in agreement, enjoying the thought of hanging out with her favorite parent. Jess didn’t see Catherine as one of her mother’s friends, she saw her as a second mom.
“Did you get a hold of your doctor? Mom said that you were having some problems with your heart medicine.” Cat smiled at Jess’ inquiry.
“You worry too much, so does your mom.” She said, finally holding out a twenty as Jess took it, typing in the amount and getting Cat her change.
“Have a good night, Cat, and call your doctor. I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“Yes ma’am.” Catherine smiled, taking one last look at the bubbly blond before walking out of the store and getting into her car.

She arrived home shortly, making sure that the door’s lock clicked in place before patting the German Shepard that was waiting for her on his head.
“Hey Sasha. How was your night, boy?” She smiled, bringing in the groceries and placing them on the counter. A sudden lightheadedness came over her, causing her to grab for the counter top for support. Sasha’s whine hit her ears like a whistle, as he pushed his head into her leg. “It’s okay boy, just a long day.” She explained, rubbing behind his ears. Catherine sighed, rubbing her arm as she looked down at the dog. His brown eyes were filled with worry, and she knew it. Of course, many would call her crazy, but having Sasha with her for so long, she felt he could sense her emotions just as well as she could sense his.
She walked over to her answering machine, playing her missed calls.
“Hey Catherine, it’s Shawna, I was just wanted to return your call-” Catherine smiled lightly, deleting the message before going on to the next. “Cat, it’s Crystal. Jess got home and said you didn’t call the doctor yet. I’m serious, chicky, you need to do so. I know you think that the nausea and everything is just stress, but you need to go anyway-” Catherine laughed, erasing the message and walking back into the kitchen.
A sharp pain overwhelmed her, causing her to drop to the floor. The pain was immense, paralyzing her as Sasha came over to her, and whining. Wetness coated her hand as the dog’s warm tongue caressed her skin.
“Sasha…” Her tone was weak, quite like her body as her body quit moving, and her breathing stopped.

A young blond girl took the podium, looking over the crowd in black.
“When I first heard the news, I was crushed.” Her voice was weak, and thick with tears, but she went on anyway. “Next, I was angry. Why Cat? Catherine wasn’t only my mom’s best friend. She was mine. She was a second mother to me, and I thank whatever caused her to befriend my mother, because it was because of that that I met her. She’s changed me for the better, and I’m grateful that she lived.” The girl paused, looking down at the black casket in the middle of the room, before shaking her head. “I refuse to remember her as laying in this casket. I want to remember her laughing in my living room at four in the morning, and smiling at me on my eighth grade graduation day. I want to remember her taking pictures of my first prom. I love you, Catherine. You were so easy for me to talk to, and I’ll miss that. I just want to say that you’re hanging out with me the moment I get to wherever you are. You won’t get out of it that easily.” Jess laughed, before removing herself from the podium, and stepping down.
♠ ♠ ♠
We had to kill off our characters, so I figured I'd just post this as well. Hope you enjoyed. =]