Status: Will be finished soon. Very soon.

Yours Truly

2

I’m not a princess, I know that for sure. I remember in grade two’s annual play, I got the part of the fairy princess and you started crying, and I gave up the part because I didn’t like it when you cried. Remember in Class six, we went to that poetry competition and I got a certificate of participation, I was so happy, happy for you as well who got the third prize but then you left me deflated when you told me that everyone got that certificate and the it wasn’t anything special.

I remember all of this as I go home that fateful day. I am let in by the housekeeper whose troubled face alerts me but I don’t ask her what’s wrong. I don’t have to. I already know.

I tentatively tip-toe into the lounge, past the kitchen door and the study, I breathe a sigh of relief as I make it to the staircase that leads to my room and studio. But the relief that overcame me as I neared the stairs evaporated when I heard a bear-like grunt right behind me. Heavy footsteps accompanied it, I knew what was about to come and I knew ducking, yelling or running wouldn’t get me anywhere. This had happened many, many times. I focus my eyes on my shoes and I don’t even gasp at the expected, sudden pull at my ponytail jerking my head back with such force that a jolt of pain streaked through my shoulder.