Status: Reconstruction... I will be going over the current chapters and improving them until I feel that my writing for this story is where I want it to be.

Crawl, Walk, and Stagger

you get eight numbers

The incessant chattering was endless. Beatrix was unable to comprehend how he was able to say so much and still have more to continue with. What lies her mind tended to spew.

Nicholas sat there, chewing each piece of food methodically. His eyes roved over the entire kitchen. She was easily able to tell that his mind only processed her as an addition to the scenery of the kitchen, a prop. Her eyes narrowed into a subtle glare. She didn’t need him knowing that she was assessing him while he was assessing everything else. She watched as pieces of his honey brown hair carelessly fell into his eyes. This only caused her to notice the melted chocolate. How someone could have eyes the color of melted chocolate seemed almost impossible, but it was there.

Beatrix scowled at her thoughts. Melted chocolate, indeed. The only kind of chocolate she ate was baked. She hurriedly finished her lasagna as she remembered the brownies that sat on the counter.

Nicholas thought the conversation that he had shared was positively stimulating. Please, Beatrix sat there, piling the lasagna into her mouth with a vigor that should only be seen when watching starved animals on television. Her thick mane of hair was pulled back in a lopsided bun with several locks spilling from the restraints. It was funny that her unruly hair was the only thing that he found interesting with her because his gaze slipped away from her and toward the digital clock blaring the time. The only thing he wanted to do was get up and return to the lab and finish the last pieces of the experiment.

Beatrix Winslet
He finished his own plate of food, tossed the plate into the sink carefully, grabbed a brownie and walked out of the kitchen. Still not saying a damn word to me. You would think that a person would jump at the opportunity to converse with another. And no, don’t you dare look at me like that. Yes, I could have started a conversation with the sap but I was waiting to see if he had the manners to do so. He obviously didn’t.

I grabbed my own plant (licked clean) and proceeded to wash the dinner dishes. The ‘amazing’ protégé didn’t even have the courtesy to wash his own. My arms were covered in bubbles as I rinsed off the last fork. I blew them off before I washed my arms off causing a small flurry of bubbles.

I grabbed two brownies with a napkin and headed back to my room. His stupidity at dinner had distracted me from what was far more important. After closing my bedroom door behind me, I set the brownies on the desk and rummaged under the bed for my detective kits. I didn’t realize that I had shoved them so far back before I went off to finish dinner. I grasped the one that hadn’t been used before the other hand curled around the microscope. Dad always had a huge grin on his face back when I was in this phase. It was science related and it brought us closer because I got to see my dad in his element.

“Hey, Dad. This is really weird.” Dad closed the paper and approached me on the floor.

“What is it, B,” he asked, taking a seat next to me on the carpet. I turned one of the knobs on the microscope and peered into the eyepiece more determined than before.

“I can’t seem to recognize this. And the slide isn’t labeled.”

I passed the microscope to him, hoping that he would be able to identify what I couldn’t. He was Daniel Winslet, the super amazing scientist of the twenty-first century. I watched him anxiously.

His face flashed dangerously and his eyes hardened. “Where did you get this sample, Beatrix?” My heart leaped into my throat as my stomach clenched.

“It was in the box that all of the others that you gave me. I didn’t know that it wasn’t labeled until I couldn’t figure out what it was.” I choked back sobs. Dad had never used that tone with me. He never had any need to. He sent me to my room after that and took the slide with him. The Detective/CSI box was packed up and placed within the walls of Hobby Lane.


I paused. That slide transformed my dad with one look. Did he maybe hide it somewhere for me to find? How could I have not noticed that something was wrong at that time?

There was an itching in my hands as I pulled the two objects from under the bed. Restless, I was restless. The need to know consumed me, eating away at everything else. The envelope was there within my reach on the corner of the desk. I tried using backlight but that didn’t work. None of the procedures from the kit worked. The microscope sat in the corner as my last option. It was already set to a magnification of 100x. I folded the envelope so that the center of the paper could be viewed. I dipped my head down and started adjusting the paper till I saw a smudge of color. That’s what I needed. Turning the knobs once I again, a short message could be read clearly after upping the magnification to 400x.

'Bea - These numbers can help you in your search for the truth. But don’t do this to justify my death, or for revenge. I have figured that you must have realized that I knew that I would be dead by the time you had received this. So I only request this from you. Do this for the sake of every other person you’ve known. If you don’t reveal what’s been going on with my experiments, every country on this planet will be in danger. And by being my daughter, you are in danger that is far more terrifying than for the rest of the world. So, find the use of these numbers.
15937220
Good luck, Beatrix.'
♠ ♠ ♠
It's updated! :)
Hey, Val. Are we still in on our agreement to update once the other does with Whatever It Takes? Well, once you're spacing troubles are all fixed up.