Status: hiatus-ish

Days Like Masquerades

stick around.

Kandi and I sit on the lawn chairs, flipping through teen magazines. “I'm sick of this Bieber kid,” she says, making a face. “Ugh, look at him with that smug smile.”

I furrow my brow and peer over her shoulder. “He's just smiling. It doesn't look smug at all.”

She nods. “Oh, it's smug. It's a smug smile.”

“Hey, ladies!” Logan greets, sitting next to Kandi. “This seat taken?” He pulls off his shades and winks.

Kandi laughs. “Trying to pull a James?”

He shakes his head. “I don't know what you're talking about.” He puts his sunglasses back on and tries to scoot his chair closer to Kandi, until someone grabs the collar of his royal blue polo. Camille yanks Logan to his feet.

“What exactly do you think you're doing?” she asks, yanking the shades off his face.

Logan fumbles with his words, looking around for help.

Camille glares at Kandi. “I'm watching you.” She drags Logan away to the other side of the pool where Jo is sunbathing.

“That boy is very weird. And very pale,” Kandi says, going back to her magazine. “There's more hype over the Jennifers.” She sticks her tongue out. “And there's two sentences about us.”

“...Us?”

She points to a little box with a picture of Guitar Dude, Will, her, and me. “Speaking of us, you and little Fitzwilliam. What's going on there?”

Will is sitting near the pool, playing an imaginary piano. He's surrounded by girls. In fact, there's one under his arm.

“Oh, gotcha.” Kandi crinkles her nose. “So he's one of those.”

“...One of what?”

“A flirt. A tease. Boy can't be tied down.” She shakes her head. “I expected more from a bassist, but when you know you're hot, you usually end up a dick wad.” She examines her nails and picks at the chipped lime green polish. “He better not cramp our style.”

“What decade are you from?”

“I'm a nineties baby. Don't hate on my language.” She stands up. “Let's go do something fun.”

“Like what?”

Kendall and James block our exit. “Hey, where are you two going?” James asks, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. “We just got here.” A girl with curly brown hair struts by, winking at James. He grins. “And now I'm over there.” He catches up with the girl and wraps an arm around her.

We shake our heads.

“How's the new band?” Kendall asks, stepping towards me. “And, uh...Will?”

I point at Will and his mob of fan girls. “Look for yourself.”

Kendall raises his eyebrows. “I thought he was into you.”

I shrug my shoulders. “I need to work on this whole band thing before I can start dating anyone.” Kandi smirks, and I punch her in the arm. “You have to sort yourself out before you can get into any sort of relationship.”

Kendall nods. “I guess you're right.”

Kandi points at Camille, who keeps dragging Logan back into the chair next to her. “So, what's her problem? Are they dating or something?”

Kendall and I look at each other.

“...Well? Anybody got an answer for me, or do I have to ask pretty boy myself?” We look down at our feet, and Kandi sighs. “I'll see you guys later; I have to repaint my nails and stuff.” She walks into the lobby.

“So, busy tonight?” Kendall asks, running his fingers through his hair.

“I don't think so.”

“Why don't we have a little party at our place? You know, to celebrate the good news.”

I smile. “That's really sweet of you, but you don't have to.”

“We never get to see you anymore.”

“Okay, then can Kandi come too?”

Kendall grins. “Bring whoever you want.”

> >

When Kandi and I arrive at the apartment, it's pretty barren; Katie invites us inside to the mood lighting and soft dance music. We exchange weird looks as we try to find the guys through all the streamers, but Katie holds us back. “Wait here, eager beavers,” she says.

The guys burst through the front door, food in hand. Kandi smiles. “Fashionably late to your own party?”

“You know it.” Kendall turns up the stereo and grabs my hand. “Ready to dance?” I laugh as he spins me around. “You're really happy,” he says, grinning.

“Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?”

Kendall shrugs, holding my hands. “I dunno; I wouldn't want you to be bummed about that Will guy. You can do better than that.”

I shake my head. “I'm not bummed; I never was.”

“Even better.” He brushes my hair out of my eyes. I never knew his eyes were so green. “So, congrats to the whole band thing.”

“Thanks.”

Kandi jabs me in the side and gives me a wink as Logan hands her a cup of punch. They waltz away a lot faster than the beat of the music. Kendall wraps his arms around my waist. “So, will I be seeing you more often?”

“I've got a band to work on.”

He nods, pursing his lips. “Yeah.”

We silently move back and forth to the rhythm of the music, holding each other closely and not wanting to let go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long! Still trying to adjust to the college environment and school drama.