Status: it's late...i lost whatever it was i had for this, but i've found it again...can't promise quick updates, but i'm steadily writing for it!

Childhood's End.

Thirty-Eight Minutes.

“—ery disappointed in you Meredith. You’ve so much potential, I know we’re not exactly as challenging as you’d like, but this is the fifth time this week you’ve been in my office for correcting one of your teachers; it’s only Tuesday. Now head along to chemistry, I hear you’ve a lab today, which should provide some fun.”

“Yes sir.”

He nodded and I took my leave. Of course I correct my teachers, they’re wrong! The kids who are, by far, stupider than me to begin with, will fall even further behind because their educators are teaching them the wrong things. The burden of genius I suppose.

“Rodney!”

I turned towards the voice and smiled, well a little one. The most beautiful girl in the school was one of my friends; she’d kick my ass if I said that to her face though. But she was friends with me and she doesn’t even ask me to do her homework!

“Hello Teyla.”

She raised an eyebrow at my tone.

“You are coming from the office again, are you not? Did you correct yet another of your teachers?”

I could hear the smile in her voice.

“I can’t help it if they’re wrong!”

A real smile spread across her face and she gently touched my arm. I felt a large hand ruffle my hair from behind.

“Hey buddy! You got in trouble again didn’t you?”

I glared up at the mountain of a boy beside me. Seriously, I think I come up to his navel, well not really, but he’s at least two heads taller than me—Ronon Dex. A boy you would not want as your enemy, especially in high school. He’s taller than most of our peers and even the full grown men, and he’s strong—very, very strong.

“Will you stop that! And again, I can’t help it, they’re wrong!”

Ronon’s deep laugh echoed in the hall, kids stopped to stare—he’s usually extremely silent. We were a misfit group of kids. Teyla, she was popular and had many friends, but she always chose us over them. Ronon stuck to himself, with the exception of us of course. Me, well, I’m a geek. Genius by birth, I’m two years younger than most of my peers, which only adds to the ridicule I get. Ronon can only protect me for so many parts of the day.

“I know buddy, I know. Come on, we’ll be late and you know how much I like to destroy things on lab day, especially if it’s last period!”

Teyla smiled as she took my arm and we followed Ronon to the science hall.

“My brother is coming home from his basic training and we are all going to the carnival, would you like to join us this weekend? Ronon has already agreed and I would like for you to meet him. I have told him a lot of the both of you. He is most anxious to meet my two best friends.”

I’ve never met her brother, but I’ve seen plenty of pictures. They’re very close, only a year a part—both adopted into their current family.

“You do not need to answer today, perhaps you can think on it and give me one Friday afternoon?”

That’s her way of telling me I’d better say yes or she’d kick my ass and then make me feel guilty about having her do so. I nodded and removed myself from her arm and stalked over to my assigned table. My partner already there, scruffy kid named Zelenka, he’s Czech. His parents do something that he’s not allowed to say—I probably have clearance to know, well if it’s for the CIA, but that’s not what I should be focusing on.

“Oh, hello Rodney, today is boring, yes?”

He handed me the sheet for today’s assignment and then sank on the bench stool, cradling his head in his arms. His hair spreading out around his head—it must be painful to have his glasses crunched into his face like that. I glanced over at Ronon who looked very put out and was glaring down at the sheet of paper in front of him. Me too buddy, me too, I was looking forward to an actual lab, not some puzzles.

I dropped my backpack to the ground and sat on the stool and simply stared at the sheet in front of me. Five minutes and I’d be finished, or I could take the full thirty-eight minutes and embellish it till Ms. Carter didn’t know what I was talking about. She’s hot, for a teacher and a woman. Blonde and leggy too, she’s ex-Air Force, left after her husband retired. Took up teaching science to high school students—what a waste of smarts.

“Radek, have you ever heard of Teyla’s older brother?”

I started filling in the puzzle, not even bothering to pay attention, if I missed anything it wouldn’t dent my grade. I’ve had a 4.0(+) since as long as I can remember. Mostly because my parents didn’t want me to skip too far ahead—two years at the most—talk about boring. I could be halfway finished with a Masters by now, but my mother was worried I’d be socially ostracized for being a genius. Didn’t she now I would do that on my own?

He glanced up at me before sitting up and then frowning down at the paper in front of him. With a dejected sigh he pulled a pencil out of his pocket and began scribbling in the boxes.

“Oh yes, John, I think. He is home, yes? You would like him, he is like you. And you missed twenty-two, is two, not one.”

I glanced down at my paper and then at his and then at my own, re-reading the riddle.

“Okay, that’s only the third time you’ve corrected me.”

He chuckled as I erased and corrected my mistake.

“Is sixth. And you not answer my question, he is home? You going to meet him this weekend? Me and Carson are going to carnival, you should come too. Get out of house.”

I shrugged. I had plenty of other things I could be doing instead of going to a place where I wouldn’t know if I could eat or drink anything because they serve lemonade and how would I know if someone didn’t touch lemon juice and then whatever it is they gave me. Or if someone were to get sick on one of the rides, I would too—I’ve never been too strong when it comes to vomit. They’re always so dirty in the first place, it’s like your sitting in the filth from the first time the ride ever moved and some of those things were years old—years—and could fall apart at any minute and I would not want to die in some freak carnival ride accident. My genius still had plenty of things to contribute to the world thank you very much.

A shadow fell over my shoulder and I tensed.

“Ms. Carter, can not do that please, Rodney, he, he does not li—“

I glanced over my shoulder at her and she just smiled.

“Sorry McKay, just wanted to see how my two geniuses were fairing. I did have an Alkali Metals lab planned, we’d have had flames, but Mr. Landry said the sprinklers in the science labs were twitchy and he’d rather not take the chance of having soggy students. You two would’ve at least had something to do with your hands the entire period. Have a good weekend boys.”

I shoved the paper across the table, it was incomplete but I couldn’t do it. I was frustrated—it’s too menial a task for me to do. I could’ve done this when I was five. Well maybe seven, but still.

“Come to carnival with me and Carson, that way you can meet brother and if is awkward, you can leave with us.”

Why hadn’t I thought of that? Oh, right, I was too busy thinking of ways I could get hurt, die, sick or go into anaphylactic shock while walking about the germ infestation most plebes call a carnival.

“Fine, seeing as I won’t get a break from you or Teyla and don’t even worry about sending Carson my way. Make sure you both have an epi-pen in your pockets, I always have one, I’ll have to get Teyla and Ronon to carry one too, just in case. You guys really don’t understand how much I prefer indoors, that way I at least know what’s coming my way.”

Radek patted my arm.

“Rodney, is okay, we know. Plus is good for you to get out of house. You’re too pale. We can even go at night, less UV for you to worry about and we will each have epi-pen for you.”

I slid down into a slouch, laying my head on my arms—I could at least get a nap in before I had to head to the middle school to pick up my sister. She got to skip three grades. I simply nodded at Radek and closed my eyes. A military man, that’s who I was meeting this weekend—a bigoted, closed-minded grunt. Smart enough to do what he’s told and nothing more. One more person with less intelligence I can make nice with. Fun.

-x-

“Ow!”

I rubbed the back of my hand and glared at Teyla. She merely raised an eyebrow.

“You didn’t have to hit me! You don’t even eat the fries!”

“And you did not give me an answer. It is Friday afternoon Rodney, are you going to come along and meet John?”

Ronon shrugged over his lunch tray, eyeing the fries I couldn’t get off Teyla’s.

“Actually, uh, Carson and Radek asked me first, I’m, uh, going with them, but, uh, I’ll be sure to meet up with you at some point in the evening. I, I do have a favor to ask, now that I remember, do…could you…”

“We’ve already got two each, McKay. Beckett came by with that foreign kid.”

“In case you haven’t noticed Ronon, I’m foreign too.”

He smirked around his pizza.

“You’re Canadian.”

Teyla laughed quietly and then moved her fries to my tray. I smiled at her and dug in.

“Merri!”

I groaned at Ronon’s chuckle, he always laughed at the way Carson greeted me. Our families knew each other since our infancy; he’s one of the few that can get away with calling me Meredith, or some form of it.

“Hello Carson.”

“Oh, hullo Teyla, how are you today?”

She smiled at his flushing face.

“I am doing well today. I hear you and Radek are taking Rodney to the carnival this evening.”

He glanced down at me before looking at her and nodded.

“He doesnae like to go out much, especially durin’ the day, he’s far too worried ‘bout UV harming his already fair skin an’ with his complexion, it’s understandable, I’ll also have my mum make him some snacks so he doesnae have to worry about anything contaminating him, lest we should all have to use the epi-pens we’ll have on hand.”

I groaned.

“He is right here!”

“Relax buddy, we’re just looking out for you, we know that massive brain of yours has too much to live for, we wouldn’t want you to die in some freak accident, plus, you haven’t met John, Teyla’d kick your ass if you didn’t keep your word.”

We all laughed. It was true; she’d bring me back to life just to kick my ass if I broke my word.

“Yes, yes, we’re all aware that my genius cannot die young. I have to go though, Jeanie’s got a doctor’s appointment and seeing as my parents cannot be bothered to get her there, I’m it.”

Teyla gave me a look; she knew the gist of the story, but she never pitied Jeanie and me. Ronon made a sound, he knew some of the story and he didn’t like that I had to put my life on hold to make sure Jeanie was taken care of. Carson patted my back; he knows everything and has even witnessed it on occasion.

“You cannae get out of this Meredith, I will be picking you up tonight at five an’ then we’ll get Radek. Then it’s you, me an’ he off to the carnival. If I have to take you kicking an’ screamin’ I’ll do it.”

I got to my feet and glared at him. Ronon laughed and Teyla hid a smile behind her drink. I grabbed my backpack and slung it on my shoulder and then picked up my tray and stalked off towards the exit. I never really know how to accept the care my friends give me; I’ve never really known what it felt like to actually be wanted for more than just my genius. Let alone have an actual friend—well except Carson. He’s always been there. Our mother’s are—were—close friends. Without realizing where I was going, I found myself flat on my back, well as flat as one could get with a backpack on and a math text digging into their spine.

“Watch where you’re going McKay.”

I stared up at the boy towering over me. Why did I have to almost be outside, why couldn’t I still be in the cafeteria, Ronon would’ve intervened. He leant down and fisted my jacket, hauling me to my feet.

“Never took you for one to run people over, aren’t you usually trying to remain invisible? I’ve missed spotting you, you’re my favorite geek, you know. You’re also so very, very easy to stuff into a locker; I haven’t been able to do that in weeks. Care to help me out?”

I tried to struggle, but it was futile. This kid was built like a linebacker and just a head shorter than Ronon.

“No! Let me go, please! My sister, she, I neemmph!”

His hand covered my mouth.

“McKay, you’re in no position to speak. You’ve evaded me for two weeks now; don’t you think I get some retribution? You owe it to me.”

I glared; it was all I could do. Times like these are what made me hate that I was still two years behind my peers, they were all at least a head or two taller than me and I was scrawny. Though I was slightly impressed he could use such big words for a jock.

“Put him down.”

I didn’t know that voice, but it was full of authority. I slumped to the floor at his quick release and glanced beyond his legs to see a man in fatigues and aviator glasses. A shock of messy black hair atop his head, his mouth set in a firm line; the name Sheppard in black stitching.

“What’s it to you if I don’t leave him alone?”

I watched in both semi-horror and amusement as Sheppard stalked closer to the boy in front of me, causing him to stumble over my legs and back himself up against the wall next to me.

“That’s the thing, he’s one of my kid sister’s friends, if you hurt him, you’re hurting her and that, that just doesn’t sit well with me.”

I pulled my knees to my chest and buried my head in my arms—that was Teyla’s brother? I heard feet shuffling and then a set run down the hall. Maybe if I just sit here he’ll go find Teyla—he’s touching me. His hand was on my shoulder, shaking it gently.

“Hey buddy, it’s okay.”

It was most definitely not okay! I glared up at him—he was close, I hadn’t realized he was squatting down in front of me.

“No it’s not. You’ve just made it worse for me. I’ve survived this long dealing with him, I didn’t need a savior.”

I could see the corner of his mouth twitch up in a smirk and I hardened my glare. I shoved him away from me and climbed to my feet and quickly exited the building. I rushed to my old junkie of a car and tossed my bag in the back. My radio soothing me with Bach—I prefer Beethoven, but it’ll do. I let out a deep breath and backed out of my spot. Who did that guy think he was? Just because he’s tall and rakish and has a pretty mouth, and is Teyla’s brother doesn’t mean he can just come out of no where and, and make the guy leave me alone! Now he’s just going to make it worse the next time he catches me alone.

Ha! Maybe I don’t have to go to the carnival after all, I was only going to meet John—John Sheppard—and I had just done that, so…yeah right. Teyla’d still kick my ass and Carson would probably cry and demand I be his mock patient when he goes off to medical school next year. Radek would blow up my car and Ronon would take all my food. At least I didn’t have to worry about Jeanie being left alone, she’d only miss school for an hour and then she was going home with one of her friends for the weekend.

I pulled out front of the middle school and pulled up the curb. I had to go in and sign her out; I could see her head of blonde curls looking out the window. She grinned and waved and I couldn’t help but grin and wave back. I pulled open the doors and headed to the office. As soon as the door was opened I was ambushed with an arm full of ten year old girl.

“Mer! Do I have to come back? Can’t you just take me to Kayla’s after school? The office can send her a note and everything, I already asked the lady at the desk.”

I glanced over at the lady at the desk and she merely smiled with a look that said, it was my call—I nodded. I needed a distraction, and Jeanie, she’s always been able to fill that void in my heart. She pumped a fist in the air and let out a triumphant yes! I grabbed her backpack and walked over to the desk and signed her out.

“Can you let Kayla Jenkins know that Jeanie will be dropped off at her home later this afternoon?”

“Of course Rodney, enjoy yourselves and have a good weekend.”

I noticed the flash of pity before I turned back to Jeanie, who was waiting impatiently by the door. I had to explain why my parents sent their sixteen year old son to pick up their ten year old daughter the first time Jeanie had to leave early. I had to tell them the truth, they could check with school—both knew some of the story of our home life. No one questioned it anymore. She skipped out to my car and climbed in the passenger seat. She’d have already changed the radio before I even got to the hood of my car. I tossed her bag in the back with mine as I climbed in—it suddenly hit me, John Sheppard knew who I was and he had never met me before today.