Status: it's late...i lost whatever it was i had for this, but i've found it again...can't promise quick updates, but i'm steadily writing for it!

Childhood's End.

Condemned.

“You know, I never expected this quite so soon, I’m kind of freaked out, but okay with it at the same time. You’re nothing like what I’ve ever wanted, but you’ve proven to me that I, that I’m capable, that I can actually lo—“

I growled.

“Are you really saying this now? Now, when I’ve got three minutes to prepare myself to go speak to those idiots I’m forced to call my peers? You choose now to say something important?”

He reached up and scratched at his neck, his ears were pink and his cheeks were flushed. He was in his dress blues, crisp and neat and completely beautiful. I smoothed my hands down my gown, tugging at my chords and making sure my cap was stationary.

“You won’t let me say it will you?”

I sighed and finally met his gaze in the mirror. His eyes looked more green than hazel in blue; he was dressed for the occasion. Today was graduation and he was showing respect for his sister, just as other military grunts were for their families.

“It’s not that I don’t want to hear it, I just…I’m sixteen years old, we both leave for college in a few months. You go back to being just what that uniform expects you to be.”

“You said you were okay with that, that you’d—I said I’d work on it!”

“I guess I was wrong; it does happen, just not very often.”

“I love you.”

I closed my eyes, cutting off my line of sight to his reflection. There was a knock on the door and it cracked open, Elizabeth poked her head in and smiled.

“They’re ready for us to line up, oh, hello John.”

I just nodded and turned, only opening my eyes when I knew he would not be in my line of sight. I could see the questions dancing through her eyes the moment ours met. She tossed a smile over my shoulder as I walked out behind her. She fell in step beside me and dropped her hand to reach for my own and gave it a squeeze.

“You remembered not to call us all idiots right? I don’t think my parents would appreciate their second best being called an idiot on her graduation day.”

I smiled and squeezed her hand back. I needed the distraction from what I just walked away from into what I was about to walk into. I hated people; I hated speaking to them, more so in front of them. It wasn’t that I was nervous; I just didn’t like anyone except for my friends. I knew I was the top student, I knew it since my freshman year.

“Ah, there you are Miss Weir and Mr. McKay, we’re ready for you two to take point and lead your class to the auditorium.”

Mr. Landry gave a curt nod, dismissing us. We walked up the line of students, some making comments at the two of us, others caught up in their friends around them.

“I guess it’s a good thing I’m second to graduate, otherwise I think I’d be in the back with Radek and I doubt I could remain that patient.”

“Or pay attention.”

-x-

“We did it buddy!”

I felt myself lift off the ground.

“Ronon!”

I heard his laugh in my ear as he put me back down. He scooped up Radek, who yelled in Czech, but he was all smiles so it must have been pleasant. I felt a hand on my shoulder, I met Teyla’s warm gaze. She turned me so I was facing her and then we did the forehead thing.

“I am most proud of you, you did wonderful on your speech, but I am not ignorant to what else you did today. We will discuss this later; however, tonight is not the time. Tonight we celebrate as our group of friends; tomorrow morning, during practice, perhaps we will discuss what you have done?”

I nodded as she smiled. I turned to look around, parents and families hadn’t filed in yet, it was strictly still us graduates. Groups of friends were merging together, getting in their last goodbyes before families came in.

“What did you do Mer?”

I tensed as arms wrapped around me from behind. I knew those arms, those hands and that voice.

“I screwed up; I did the cowardly thing and walked away from him.”

I heard and felt her sigh against me. She squeezed me, offering comfort but her sigh was disproval at the same time.

“He’s been here for two months, he’s held back going to his apartment in California just to spend time with you, here. Guys don’t just do that Mer, they don’t. It’s June, you don’t leave till August, why are you so adamant to let things go?”

I shrugged her off and turned to face her. Her bright smile faltered once she realized I wasn’t exactly thrilled with what I had done.

“He told me he loves me.”

She just stared at me, hard.

“And you got scared.”

I nodded and she pulled me to her again—a real embrace this time.

“Don’t let him get away ‘cause you’re scared Rodney. I think he’s just as terrified.”

I heard the doors open and cheers and squeals; I glanced at Laura who just smiled and nodded. She let go of me and I watched her slink away into the mass of graduates and families. I sighed to myself as I took in the bright smiles, the hugs that were surrounding me—I doubt my parents even realized what today was.

“Mer! Mer! Where are you Mer?”

I knew that voice—Jeannie. Jeannie was here. I noticed her bright head of curls darting between people.

“I’m here Jeannie.”

Maybe I was wrong, maybe she got them to come. She got through the last sets of families and stopped short and just grinned up at me. She was wearing the dress I had gotten her for her birthday and her favorite pair of red shoes.

“They didn’t come, I snuck out. I called Teyla’s grandma and she came and picked me up. I didn’t want to miss this day for you. Congratulations big brother!”

I knelt down and held my arms open and she launched herself at me. She attached herself to around my neck and then I stood up, an armful of nine-year-old genius girl. She was laughing as I twirled us around, a smile—no, a grin—finally erupting on my face.

“Want to get out of here, get some ice-cream?”

She let out a laugh and nodded against my neck. I set her down and she took my hand and we made our way through the crowd. I glanced around at my peers; Laura gave a big wave and blew me a kiss as we walked by. Carson called out a hello, his parents waved as well. A hand on my arm stopped me, causing Jeannie to jerk to a stop.

“I hoped to get a picture of all of us before you left, is that alright?”

“Little sister!”

Jeannie squealed in laughter as Ronon lifted her up without any effort at all and spun her around. She squeezed him the best she could in a hug. Teyla smiled at them as she tucked herself around my arm and led us over to where Carson and Laura were standing. Elizabeth and Radek weren’t far away.

“Merri, how are you laddie? Haven’t seen you around in a while, and look at you Miss Jeannie, growing up beautiful as ever.”

She smiled over at Carson’s father and said thanks. His mum pulled me in for a hug and kissed my cheek.

“Been busy taking care of her, sir, you know how things are.”

He gave me a sad smile and a slight nod.

“Teyla!”

Aiden, another of the adoptive siblings, he’s Jeannie’s age, came barreling through the crowd and attached himself to Teyla’s legs. I glanced up once I heard the soft chuckle of her grandmother.

“Aiden, calm down buddy, we don’t want to lose you.”

“You won’t John! I promised to behave today, I’m doing so good!”

My heart raced as he chuckled; I couldn’t bring myself to look at him.

“Rodney, love, congratulations; I hope you don’t mind I picked up a straggler. She didn’t want to miss this for the world. I couldn’t very well break her heart.”

I smiled and nodded before walking over to her and letting her pull me in for a hug. I kissed her cheek and she patted my cheek in return.

“You’ve done well my boy, you’ve done well. You’re coming over right? It wouldn’t be the same if you weren’t there, Johnny can give you a ride if you’d like.”

She gave me a look, she knew, she knew everything. I bit my lip and shook my head.

“I’ve got to get Jeannie back home, our parents worry about her, especially if she just up and disappears like she did. I’ll be there.”

I felt two sets of arms wrap around my legs and glanced down at two smiling faces.

“But Mer, I can go with you and play with Aiden!”

“We’ll be good, we promise!”

“Please!?”