Status: it's late...i lost whatever it was i had for this, but i've found it again...can't promise quick updates, but i'm steadily writing for it!

Childhood's End.

The Kindred.

“Rodney, is all wrong! Tell her is all wrong! She will not listen to me.”

I glanced over the top of my computer screen at Radek; we worked together at one of the research labs in the city. I glanced over his shoulder at the woman he was speaking about; a voo-doo practitioner. Medical doctors, they think they know everything.

“Dr. Whatever-your-name-is, this is a lab, one that requires degrees in science, not whatever it is you call a doctorate. We know what we’re doing; we have all the information we need on the computers so get out before I find someone who can escort you out.”

She let out a fake affronted gasp. She then merely smirked at me.

“McKay, I’ve heard all about you and your larger than life ego, if you think for one minute you intimidate me with that brain of yours, you’re sorely mistaken. I’m a civilian for a military operation; I’ve learned to be immune to loud barkers. I was chosen to come ask that the two of you meet me up in the conference room for a briefing.”

I spared a quick glance at Radek; we knew what statements like that meant. Someone was looking into our files and found something that they want from us. We’ve been a package deal for the past four years since we graduated high school. I’ve finished my first doctorate and halfway through my second and third. Radek’s on his second.

“Gentlemen, if you’ll follow me.”

We weren’t being given an option, not till after we read and signed confidentiality agreements. We were led up to the main level and into one of the conference rooms. A woman with dark hair sat at the head with a man in glasses and two military uniforms on the right and left of her. I sighed, as we sat down and they handed out a rather thick stack of papers; a two inch thick confidentiality agreement—that’s a first.

I skimmed the first three pages, then the tenth, then the forty-eight and then went to the end; nothing new stood out, nothing at all interesting; yet another military contingent looking for brilliant minds to save their sorry asses when brawn couldn’t come up with the solution.

“I’ve seen this all before, and as I’ve said, I’m not interested. Don’t play the money card with me; I’ve managed for the past four years. I’ll sign but I don’t want to hear what you have to say.”

The woman smirked and gave me a nod, the two men in uniform merely stared and the man in glasses looked slightly crest-fallen. I scratched my signature and exited the room. If Radek wanted to, he could, we never held each other back. I made my way back towards the elevators to take me down when the receptionist stopped me.

“Dr. McKay, you’ve a message from a Carson, he said to call him back at your earliest convenience. His number is on the memo.”

I took the offered scrap of paper and nodded and continued on my way. Carson, that meant he was done his four years at medical school. I hurried down to the lab and fished out my cell phone; I wasn’t going to use the land line, I wasn’t stupid.

“Hullo?”

“Hi Carson.”

“Rodney! Tis good to hear your voice; I’ve graduated an’ I’ve a wee break ‘fore I head back to school. Radek still with you? Laura’s home, an’ she invited me to the carnival an’ I thought maybe, for old time’s sake, you two would like to come too. Teyla’s here, said she would love to see an old friend. Ronon’s got training so he won’t be home for another eight months, but most of us’ll be there.”

Home meant memories, meant Jeannie still with our parents; the carnival meant John. John meant all the things I’ve tried to burry under my work the past four years. I turned eighteen two years ago, I never wrote to him, I never even contacted him. Not since the night in my father’s study.

“Rodney, you still there?”

“Oh, um, sorry Carson, I uh…I zoned out for a minute…um sure, the carnival sounds great. I’ll uh, I’ll see if Radek wants to come.”

I hung up before he could respond; home meant John. I was not ready for that can of worms, not in the slightest.

-x-

“Oh come off it you big geek, nothing is going to happen!”

I glared at the blonde girl in the front seat.

“Cadman just shut up. You have no id—“

“John’s brought company, so don’t even worry about having to spend time with him.”

I could tell she didn’t mean that the moment she said those words. I bit my lip and stared out the window, not even Carson or Radek could find something to say. I just watched as the trees passed by, opening up to the massive field that qualified as parking. That familiar glow of cheap lights; and as we parked and climbed out, that smell of disgusting yet delicious food.

It still looked the same, sounded the same; the laughter and screams of kids and teenagers, the same little groups that clung together, and the adults that stood off to the side, simply observing their offspring.

“Rodney! Radek! I have missed you deeply; it is so good to see you.”

Teyla came out of no where and gave us each a hug that ended with her pressing her forehead to ours. I glanced over her shoulder and noticed a young man, blue eyes that could rival my own and he grinned at me, offering a small wave.

“Rodney, this is Evan, Evan this is Rodney.”

He chuckled and stepped forward, offering me his hand.

“She’s told me a lot about you Doc, nice to finally meet you.”

I took his hand and shook; trying to figure out why I couldn’t even say something.