Status: it's late...i lost whatever it was i had for this, but i've found it again...can't promise quick updates, but i'm steadily writing for it!

Childhood's End.

The Kindred (Part Two).

I handed over my three tickets that permitted entrance to the slew of twelve bumper cars spread before me. I took my time choosing, hoping a line had formed and all of my friends couldn’t get in this round. I spied the lone blue car and made a beeline for it.

“Aww, Rawdney, don’t be a poor sport, we only tease you ‘cause we love you!”

I tensed at Laura’s obnoxious drawl of my name, however, the smile that I didn’t let them see at her declaration of love, well that warmed me a little. I knew they all cared, we were a tight knit group; it was just nice to hear how much. I dropped the smile and turned around, noticing she and Carson were in the green and silver cars in front of my shiny blue one. Teyla smiled at me from a pink one and Radek, well I had lost sight of him and the blue eyed pretty face…erm, Evan.

I climbed in and waited for that small bell, signaling electricity was now running and all the magnets were working above us to allow movement. I was jolted left and right, a huge grin erupted across my face; this was my favorite ride. It was so much fun and permitted me a few moments to just let go—physically and literally. I heard Radek’s laugh and glanced at the car that just slammed into my right side. I grinned and laughed right back at him before running into a father and daughter in another pink car.

The small bell sounded a few minutes later and our cars slowed to a stop. Mine bumped into another with its last oomph of energy and I froze when my eyes met the driver’s.

“You should smile more like that Doc, it looks good on you.”

I felt myself flush as I climbed out and steadied myself on my feet. I continued to smile at him though—I hope that was a plus.

“I’m usually not this inarticulate…I, I um, apologize about that. How, how do you know Teyla?”

He chuckled and started heading towards the exit.

“I’m actually Aiden’s Assistant Coach for his soccer team. I work at the art gallery downtown.”

“Oh…is, is that something you like then? Obviously, I mean someone your age wouldn’t have a job they hated…well maybe, but you kno—“

I felt a finger press against my lips.

“Doc, you’re rambling.”

I pulled back and scoffed; my cheeks tinting pink once again. My arms began to flail with every word I spoke.

“I can’t help it! It’s a nervous habit! Radek wasn’t lying, I get all flustered when I’m confronted with pretty faces…and I say stupid things like that.”

He smiled and held the exit gate open for me and followed me over to a near by bench. The others weren’t too far behind; or so I hoped.

“Tell you what, how about we go find something to eat—without any citrus—and then we’ll see how you feel about walking around with me for a bit. Sound good to you?”

I raised my brow at him. Did he know what he was asking? Did he know what shoes he was attempting to fill? I moved to speak but he cut me off.

“Look, I know your past isn’t…it’s not…I’m not looking to use you if that’s what you’re thinking. You truly live up to everything Teyla and Aiden have told me and I wanted to meet you myself. If you’re not looking for anything right now that’s fine, I can settle with just friends. Doc…Rodney, I, I’m not…”

He was fumbling for something to say; I could tell by the look on his face he knew about John. I glanced over his shoulder at the others, standing just a few feet off from us. Watching and waiting.

“Evan, let’s…we’ll just see how tonight goes and if something’s there well…there’s always a movie to catch or dinner to eat.”

Both of us seemed shocked at my outburst. There hasn’t been anyone since John and I think he knows that. I offered him a shy smile, one he freely returned.

“What do you say we go get that bite to eat, guys are you hungry? I am.”

Laura slinked over to me first, putting her arm around my shoulder, glancing over at Evan, measuring him it seemed.

“Sure thing Mer, whatever you want.”

I cringed at her use of my given name and started walking off towards the direction of the food stands. I could hear their feet shuffling along behind me. She caught back up easily, replacing her arm across my shoulder and leaning into me as we walked; talking only loud enough for the other to hear.

“So what were you and that gorgeous hunk of meat talking about; all smiles and pink cheeks?”

“Ah, that my dear Laura is none of your business.”

She merely glanced at me, giving me that look—you know the one where they know you’re bullshitting and you know you’re going to spill the beans anyway—that look. I felt a shy smile erupt as I met her now curious gaze.

“I intrigue him apparently and we’re just going to see how tonight goes. He asked if he and I could walk around ourselves for a bit later.”

She stopped walking, tugging my arm, causing me to stop with her. Radek ran into us, he laughed before continuing on with the others. She stared at me, she knew I’ve dated no one since John; the others, they thought I’ve been on dates that have never worked out. She waved the others on and didn’t speak till they were more than plenty of yards away.

“Do you mean it?”

I bit my lip and looked down at the ground before meeting her eyes. I nodded.

“I think so…I mean, it’s time really, don’t you think? Four years is a long time and I…I shouldn’t be holding out like this…I was the one that ended things…do you know anything about him?”

She brought a hand up and cupped my cheek and smiled at me.

“Oh, Rodney, you are capable of doing whatever you want. If you think you’re ready than you’re ready. I can’t make that choice for you. Grandma Ford’s throwing her usual big cookout Sunday, if she knows you and Radek are in town she’ll force you to come. Evan’s been going for the past two years. Since John’s home, he and his company will be there too.”

I nodded—I’d have to face him eventually.

“You didn’t answer me woman.”

She dropped her hand and smiled that smile of hers.

“Of course I know him! Who do you think taught him all his security moves? A guy like that doesn’t come from a normal family, but that’s a story he’ll have to tell you. He’s a good guy and he’ll treat you right. I know that was never an issue with you and John, but I just want you to know that he won’t disrespect you…you’d also be his first date since his last break up, a year and a half ago…but that too is a story only he can tell you.”

I looked at her, taking in her words.

“Thanks.”

She grinned and turned, linking our arms together.

“Sure thing, now, let’s say, for old times sake, we get two large boardwalk fries and that monstrous funnel cake you love so much and show these people how to eat fair food.”

I ginned in return and led us in the direction of the two stands we needed to buy from. Evan was no John Sheppard, but I guess I’ve been holding on to something that was lost—my own doing—years ago. It was time to move on; he surely had.