Status: it's late...i lost whatever it was i had for this, but i've found it again...can't promise quick updates, but i'm steadily writing for it!

Childhood's End.

Duet.

“Come now Rodney, play a song for an old woman.”

I felt myself flush at Grandma Ford’s words; she always loved to hear the piano.

“You know none of these rug-rats ever had the patience to sit and play, half way through a song they’d up and start something else. Please an old woman, everyone else it outside, it’s just you and me, besides, I know who you’re waiting for.”

I smiled and flushed at her kind, warm face. She sat back in her chair, the one that sat directly by the window; slowly rocking herself back and forth as I cracked my knuckles—bad habit. Her eyes dancing with unashamed amusement as she simply stared, knowing I could never tell her no.

“Anything in particular you’d like to hear?”

“Oh no, no, no, you go on and pick the song. I just want to listen…play me something from your heart dear.”

She smiled and closed her eyes, the soft squeak of the chair on the hardwood floor relaxing the both of us. I tinkered with a few keys, testing their tune; perfect. I took a deep breath, listening to the laughter and friendly shouts coming from just outside. I started off slowly, apprehensively—I’d never played this song for anyone before.

It was the song that I wrote not too long after that night I said goodbye to John; she had to know—she had to. I closed my eyes, getting lost in the keys and the music and the emotions I fought so hard these past few years to keep at bay. I let them all out; it was just an old lady and I, no one else was here to witness my fierce vulnerability.

As I swayed and nodded to the beat I had created, slowing, quieting, finally reaching the song’s end, I heard a soft gasp and my eyes burst open—thankfully my fingers kept playing. I met the startled blue and felt my insides swell with a sense of relief; everything I was letting out was reflected in those bright, blue eyes. I kept our gazes steady as I brought the song to a close; it wasn’t till Grandma offered a soft clap that I realized she was here too.

My cheeks reddened once again as I met her knowing gaze; she simply smiled and climbed to her feet. She crossed the room towards me, putting her hands on my shoulders and bending to kiss my forehead.

“Thank you Rodney, I think I needed that just as much as you did. You’ve let it all out; don’t let it burden you anymore. And hello Evan, dear, I’m glad you could make it, have you said your hellos to everyone else?”

His cheeks were pink too; I smiled to myself.

“Yes, ma’am, and I thank you for the invite.”

“Oh nonsense boy, you’re always so polite, I never know what to do with myself when you’re around!”

She moved to wave him over, pulling him in for a hug when he was just an arm’s reach away. She mumbled something in his ear that had him turning pinker as he met my gaze over her shoulder.

“I hope you boys enjoy yourselves this afternoon.”

She gave us each a look before waving us off and headed out towards the kitchen then out the back door. I fiddled with my fingers in my lap as we stared at each other. He took the few steps it took to reach the piano bench and sat down beside me.

“I didn’t know you played, and so well too. Did you write that song?”

I nodded and shyly ducked my head. He chuckled and tinkered with a few keys.

“I could tell. No matter what their forte is, an artist is always noticeable.”

I gave him an odd side glance and he smiled.

“I’ve played since I was able. At twelve one of my teacher’s told me I was technically efficient, however, I lacked passion. I told him jealousy is unbecoming and walked out. What do you do?”

“I paint…draw too, but mostly paint. Some charcoals as well, but mostly paint; all kinds. You eat already?”

I nodded.

“You up for that walk you never gave me the other night?”

I flushed but climbed to my feet. I offered him my hand, to help him up, he took it and held on for longer than necessary. I didn’t mind. This was new and it was exciting again and this time my body wouldn’t react like a hormonal sixteen year old. He was about to say something when the door in the kitchen burst open and in stumbled a giggling woman I’ve never seen before. Aiden stumbled in behind her, Jeanie attached to his hand—really?

“—den you are so funny! Jeanie, how do you control him?”

I heard her giggle—I found myself aching at missing it.

“Easy, with a brother like mine, men are so simple to please.”

The brunette in the lead finally noticed Evan and I—who were still holding hands. Her eyes widened in recognition of him, then let her gaze fall to our hands, she grinned.

“Evan! Is this the lovely Mer we’ve heard so much about?”

My name had two more heads popping around the corner, Jeanie lit up and bolted across the room and flung herself to me. I wrapped my arms around her; I really was a horrible brother.

“Mer! How come you didn’t tell me you were going to be here? I saw Radek outside; I should’ve known you’d be here too!”

Brunette smiled and Aiden looked a bit apprehensive to approach me. I glanced down at Jeanie’s blonde curls and then back up at him, remembering their joined hands and shoved her away from me. I narrowed my gaze at her, and then pointedly glanced at Aiden. Her cheeks tinged pink and I let out a laugh.

“Oh hush you, we’re dating. Mom and Dad are quite thrilled with the match and his family adores me.”

She reached her hand out for him and he stepped forward, linking their fingers together.

“It was great to see you; it’s only been what, four years big brother? Phone calls and emails are not enough, but anyway, Grandma wanted some peaches, so we all came to get some. We’ll be on our way, didn’t mean to interrupt you and Evan. Hi, Evan! Bye Evan, bye Mer!”

She giggled and led Aiden back to the kitchen, both their heads bowed together, whispering to each other, sending the occasional odd glance over their shoulders. I glanced at Evan, who was flushed and nodding at odd intervals to whatever the brunette was whispering in his ear. I let out a small cough and they parted.

“Hello Mer, my name’s Nancy. Evan has told me a lot about you, it’s nice to finally meet you.”

She held out her hand and I shook it, smiling—a legit polite one—in return. The door opened once again, I heard muffled greetings and then the door shut. In the entry way stood John; he froze mid-step, eyes stuck on me, the brunette—Nancy—and our joined hands. It took me all of two seconds to realize that Nancy was his company. I pulled my hand back and glanced over her shoulder at him. He was nervous.

I felt Evan step closer to my side, putting his hand on the small of my back—for once that territorial notion did not bother me. I had to remember, he had moved on and I had let him go.

“John, there you are! This is the Mer that Evan was going on non-stop the other day about…well the one he and Laura were going non-stop about. John, do you know Mer? Mer, do you know John?”

Her voice faltered, she was finally picking up on the tension that lingered between John and I. I know he wouldn’t speak up so I did.

“Yes, we go back a few years. It’s been that many at least.”

“Ho—how, how are you?”

I raised an eyebrow at his stutter and leaned into Evan’s side, his arm curling around my waist.

“I’m great, just about to go on a walk with Evan actually. We had said our hellos and did our rounds, now we’re spending the rest of the evening together. How about you?”

Nancy gave him a wide grin and glanced back at me.

“Can I tell him?”

I could tell by the fear that flashed through his eyes that I should’ve been prepared for the next words to come out of her mouth, but as I’ve said before, even I have my moments.