Status: ahhhh screw it. I'll get around to updating this sometime soon.

Deadly Nightshade

Chapter Four.

The sun was finally beginning to set when Kain and I got a private moment alone in my room to talk. My mother had wanted to know every detail of our relationship, so it took quite a bit of lying on my part as Kain just watched with that evil smirk on his face.

I closed and locked my bedroom door and opened the window to let some cool air in while Kain picked up photos of my friends lazily. I watched him closely, making sure there was no funny business going on while trying to push my attraction for him down to the very pits of my stomach.

He finally sat down on my window seat while I perched on my bed. I looked at him expectantly while he fiddled with his shirt and sighed.

"I'm not human." He finally said after a minute of suffocating silence. I laughed heartily at his statement.

"Well, of course you aren't. Give me a little more credit than that, Kain. You turned into a wolf. You can speak to me telepathically. Nothing about you is human. So what does that make you?" I asked, cocking my head.

"I am a vampire." He said after another moment of silence. God, that silence would kill me. "If you ask how I can go into sunlight, I'll strangle you." he chuckled. "I can go out in the sun, I love Italian food, I've been to church a few times, and I do not sparkle. I just...have a kind of disability. That's all."

Of course it would be my luck to have some kind of strange connection with a mythical creature. Thanks, Karma; you bitch.

I sighed and rubbed my temples. "Then who was that wolf outside before? A mortal enemy or something?" I giggled girlishly, but Kain only gave me a somber look.

"He is, in fact. At least a servant to my enemy. We've been fighting for centuries now. He is the ruler of a small colony of vampires in the north. I, however, control many more vampires than he does. Basic story of jealousy." he drawled and looked out the window.

I took the moment to observe his profile, taking in his gently sloped nose and masculine jaw. Even his hair was perfect... Damnit, stop! He saved you a few times. It's not like he's your boyfriend or something. Just help him out or whatever and let him leave! my mind screamed.

"So...How do I fit into this exactly?" I asked hesitantly.

He slowly turned to me with a dark look in his eyes. "When a vampire's mate is on this earth, something inside of them wakes up. A mate is always a human, in case said vampire wants to change them. We'll get into that later...When this part of them wakes up, they can feel their human. Most vampires wait hundreds or even thousands of years until they find their mate, since they can only have one true mate. However, since the mate is human, it leaves them open to attacks from rival clans."

"Ohhhhhkay?" I said, not following along.

"You are my human mate, Airin. When you were born I was alerted of your presence. I wasn't able to get to you until later on in our life, but I knew you were here." He moved closer to me and I scooted back. He sighed and looked at his hands that sat in his lap. "I've been waiting eight hundred years for you to come along, Airin. Can't you feel the Pulse? It's small, yes, but it will get stronger and stronger as you get older. It's the feeling of our fates finally entwining."

I raised an eyebrow and stood up a few feet away from him. "Okay...you need to get out for now. Go...do whatever vampires do and don't come back please. I don't believe that 'fate' crap." He reached for me but I stumbled away. I felt a pressure in my head and glared at him. "Get OUT of my house and my head! Just get OUT!" I yelled and tried not to cave under his wounded expression.

He opened his mouth but I silenced him with a deathly glare. He winced and stood up.

"As you wish." he said in a sorrowful tone. He jumped out of the open window in a smooth movement and I didn't even look out after him. It was getting dark and I didn't need to deal with soulmate nonsense. Life is short; there's no possible way that you could stay with one person for your entire life. It was pointless.

I curled up on my bed and stared at the wall, willing myself to just sleep for once. I failed miserably.

When I did finally get to sleep after an hour of tossing and turning, my dreams took a turn for the worse. All I could see were dead trees scraping against my skin as I ran from something in the forest. I had a silk white gown on that had splotches of blood and dirt on them. I keep running and running from something in the woods, but I couldn't see what it was. I could only hear it's breathing and the sound of someone or something following me. As it got closer, I tripped on a branch and cried out, feeling the blood dripping down my legs.

I could still hear it, but now it was breathing down my neck in measured beats; hot and putrid and wet. It chuckled in a sinister way and I felt teeth scrape along my neck slowly and painfully.

And that's when I woke up to a dark room with an even darker shadow in it.