‹ Prequel: Label It Love

Just Like Paradise

004

The rest of the Oshie family’s trip was much more low key, spending their days at the beach and their nights separated, Nate staying with Abby and Osh staying in Tyler’s room (as per Brianna’s request).

All of the Oshie’s got a wonderful tan and when they finally made their way back to their Saint Louis home, they all went their separate directions. Abby lounged in Nate’s room as Brianna went right up to she and TJ’s room to unpack.

“Did you know that I’m grounded?” Nate asked as he entered the family room after seeing that his mother was a safe distance away up in her bedroom.

“You’re grounded?” TJ asked, raising his eyebrows. “You’re never grounded, what did you do?” He asked, looking at his middle child oddly.

“I had sex. I’m being grounded for having sex.” He replied casually, pulling his cell phone out of his pocket, flipping through the contacts.

“You’re grounded… for having sex.” TJ repeated out loud to himself. “Well, where are you trying to go?” He asked.

“Uh.” Nate trailed, a dark crimson creeping up the back of his neck.

“Dude, I’m trying to do you a solid here, are you really trying to sneak off to Bergie’s?” TJ sighed, looking down at Nate who held a rather guilt expression. Nate shifted in his hseat, feeling rather uncomfortable.

“I feel like Ana has the right to know that… everyone knows without hearing through a text.” He sighed, pushing his hand through his hair that rivaled his father’s when he was a teen. TJ considered his son’s statement for a moment before sighing identically.

“Okay, go, I’ll deal with your mother, but don’t make me regret it, okay? You owe me.” TJ said, pulling his car keys from his pocket and handing them over to Nate.

“Thanks, Pop.” Nate said, flying off the couch and out of the house but not before placing a hat on his head. A few moments later, Brianna appeared in the archway of the family room, hands on her hips and a scowl on her face.

“Did I just hear a car leave the driveway? Because I know Tyler is upstairs in his room.” She said, narrowing her eyes at her husband.

“Brianna, you can’t ground Nate because he had sex.” TJ sighed, running his hand over his face and standing up. Brianna frowned, knowing that her discipline was rash and spontaneous.

“Well I can try.” She huffed as her husband walked over, wrapping his arms around her, letting her rest her head on his shoulder. “I don’t want my baby having sex.” She sighed, running the same thought through her head for the hundredth time.

“Look, I know you’re not happy about it, and yes, Nate is young, but Bri… The more restrictions you put on kids, the more they’re gonna wanna rebel.” He replied. “Nate is a good kid, and I don’t think this is a daily occurrence.” He added. “I honestly think this was a one time thing.” He bit his lip, not one hundred percent sure about that last comment.

“I just… how has Nate done that and not… y’know, Tyler?” She asked, blushing softly. “I mean, he takes after you the most, at least, I thought he did.” She laughed quietly.

“I’m surprised, too.” TJ nodded thoughtfully. “But as much as I’d love to talk about my teenage son’s sex life, can we please talk about something else?” He begged.

“Absolutely.” Brianna nodded, taking his hand and leading him back over to the couch. “How are we going to tell the kids that we’ve gotten in touch with an adoption agency?” She asked, crossing her legs as TJ pulled his wife into his chest.

“I think the best thing we can do is just lay it out right on the line with them.” TJ said, “be completely honest. I mean, I don’t think anyone’s going to be bothered about it, they all like their siblings…” He shrugged casually. “I don’t see why any of them would be against us having another kid.”

“Really, you don’t see why any of them would have a problem with having another baby?” Brianna asked, knowing her children better than TJ seemed to.

“No?” He asked, frowning softly.

“Well something tells me that Abby isn’t going to appreciate having an new baby in the house. She very much enjoys being the baby.” Brianna pointed out.

“What? No.” TJ shook his head, “you honestly think she’d be against us adopting a baby because she likes being the youngest?” He asked. “That’s ridiculous.”

“Well then than you can deal with the retaliation.” Brianna smiled sweetly as TJ rolled his eyes.

“Abby is a smart girl, Brianna, she knows how to behave.” He shook his head.

“Okay baby, whatever you say!” Brianna said, knowing better.

“You’ll see.” TJ said, smiling confidently.

Later that night, however, TJ didn’t receive quite the reaction he was gunning for.

“You want to do what?!” Abby screeched, throwing her napkin down that night at dinner.

Fuck TJ thought to himself, knowing that Brianna was right.

“You want to adopt another kid? What the hell?!” Abby said, eyes wide and livid.

“Abigail.” TJ snapped harshly for her language and tone.

“Why the hell would you want to do that?!” She asked, standing up from the table, her brothers watching on quietly, staying seated to stay out of the situation.

“Abby why are you freaking out right now? Why are you so against this?” TJ asked, knowing Brianna was going to sit back and enjoy her victory.

“Am I not enough for you guys? Jesus! You guys are too old to have another kid!” She hissed before swiftly exiting the dining room. TJ sighed, looking down at his wife with wide, surprised eyes, scoffing at her smug expression as she ushered to the doorway to follow his little girl.

“So, can someone explain to me what the big deal is?” Tyler asked, looking over to his mother who could only really shrug in return.

“Your father is about to find out.” She sighed, taking another bite of her dinner.

“Abigail Marie.” TJ called none too happily as he rounded the corner to her bedroom only to find that the door was locked. It was not his idea to get her the doorknob with the lock. “Abby let me in right now.” He tried his stern, ‘I have authority’ voice.

“No!” She yelled back, making him sigh and roll his eyes with a drop of his chest.

“Abby, let me in please.” He tried, leaning agains the wall, rapping his knuckles softly against the wood. A long two minutes later the door finally creaked open, TJ cautiously pushed his way in to see Abby moving around her room, unpacking and putting laundry away. She refused to look at him as he took a seat on the small couch in her room, watching her move about the room. “Abby, come on, talk to me.” TJ sighed, seeing that his baby girl was obviously very upset.

“Say what you have to say.” She replied smartly, aggressively shoving her clothes into her dresser and crossing the room again.

“Baby girl, why are you so mad that we want to adopt another baby? You know it won’t mean we’ll love you any less.” He sighed, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees. “Just talk to me, because this is something me and Mom really want to do and it’ll just kill me if it makes you this upset.” He added sincerely.

“I’m the baby, okay? And I like it like that, we don’t need anymore Oshie kids, we have enough! You guys will be so old when that kid graduates high school! You’ll be the embarrassing old parents!” She huffed, throwing down her t-shirt. “You won’t have time for me once you have a baby! Babies need a ton of attention, Dad!” She said, pointing a finger at him before picking up the same t-shirt again.

“Abby, of course we’ll have time –”

“And I’m not some kind of built-in baby sitter, okay?!” She ignored her father. “I’m not staying home to watch this baby instead of hanging out with my friends because you guys wanted another kid!” She said, in a rather accusatory tone.

“Baby, please, calm down, take a few deep breaths, okay?” TJ pleaded, standing up and cautiously walking towards his nuclear daughter. He attempted to put his arm around her and could feel his heart break as she put her hand on his chest, pushing him away harshly.

“Go away.” Her voice cracked out before she could place her face in her hands and begin to sob. TJ ignored her request and quickly brought his little girl into his chest as she continued to cry for a few minutes. Soon her sobs turned into hiccups and then into sniffles as TJ rocked her gently.

“Abby you know that I will never love you any less.” He soothed her quietly. “You’re going to grow up and you’re not gonna need your old man anymore. I love being a Dad, and I know you love being the baby, but you’re going to be the most incredible older sister, I just know it.”

“I never had to share you with the boys. I don’t want to start sharing you now. I’m always going to need you.” She cried gently, her words partially muffled she hiccupped into his chest. “You’re my Daddy.” She insisted.

“Baby, do you know how happy that makes me? You’re not going to have to share me with the new baby either, we will still spend just as much quality time together, I promise you.” He smoothed her hair away from her face. “I will never expect you to drop your plans or change diapers or any of that. This is our baby, not yours.” He continued to assure her.

A few more minutes had passed and Abby had stopped hiccupping, curled in her father’s lap as he recently sat them on the edge of her bed.

“I’m sorry.” She sniffled quietly. “I didn’t mean to scream and shove you.” She spoke meekly, feeling embarrassed for her freak out.

“It’s okay, Abby. I don’t want you to ever feel like you have to keep your feelings from me, okay? You should always be able to talk to me about anything.” He insisted, kissing her temple lightly. “All better?” He asked, looking down at her bloodshot, blue eyes as she nodded soberly. “One more thing?” He asked gently. “Never have sex with Kent Berglund, okay? And if you do, even if you’re forty, don’t ever tell me, okay?”

“Okay Daddy.” Abby nodded even though she had no idea what he was talking about. “I don’t want to go back downstairs… can we eat up here?” She bat her lashes pathetically.

“Of course, anything for you, Princess.”

---

“I cannot believe what happened tonight.” TJ shook his head as he and Brianna entered their bedroom to hit the hay. Eyes lingering on her figure as he peeled her top over her head, exposing her new tan lines.

“Babe, you just experienced your first thirteen-year old girl meltdown. Congratulations on surviving.” Brianna giggled as she shook her hair down from its ponytail.

TJ ran his hands over his face as he sat down on the bed, smiling softly as Brianna crawled up on the bed behind him, helping him remove his shirt.

“I’m just so surprised… that was not my Abby.” He insisted as Brianna’s fingers worked into flesh of his back gingerly, pressing all the right spots to relax him. “That was some scary monster possessing her.” He added as Brianna slowly dragged him back on the bed.

“We need to finish our conversation.” She said pointedly, referring to the topic they had spent the better half of the morning discussing.

“I don’t see what the issue is, Bri. I really think we should adopt a baby, not a toddler. There’ll be so many less issues and explanations.” He sighed, folding his arms behind his head, his wife’s head resting on his chest. The Oshie’s would put in their official file for adoption soon and their adoption agent needed all of the details, especially if they wanted to adopt a baby or a toddler.

“I would say that toddlers are a little less work, at least, in my experience. They sleep through the night. Toddlers are a little less fussy and I think it would be an easier transition, especially for our kids.” Brianna pointed out. “And I supposed… it’s just it would make a little more sense with the age difference?” She offered weakly.

“You are losing this argument.” TJ pointed out tiredly.

“I have a deal for you.” Brianna spoke up again after a few moments of pregnant silence. “We can adopt a baby if you let up on Abby’s reins a little bit.” She suggested strongly.

“And what do you mean by that?” He asked, peeking one eye open at her as she removed his cap.

“Let her go to friend’s houses after school more often, she can close her bedroom door once and a while, and speaking of friends she can have friends that are boys.” She added boldly. “You need to stop texting the boys during the day for reports on her that’s for sure, don’t think I don’t know about that.”

“Brianna, I have to keep some kind of eye on her!” TJ whined, appalled at his wife’s suggestions.

“TJ, if you don’t give her some space now, she’s going to get to college and go absolutely ape-shit crazy.” Brianna said sternly. “Girl can hardly breathe with the leash you have on her.”

TJ sighed defeatedly, knowing that with that statement, his wife was correct.

“Fine, but I’ll loosen said leash as I see fit.” He surrendered. “Fair enough trade I suppose.” He mumbled. “I’ll call our agent tomorrow to finalize our application.”

Brianna grinned at her small victory, knowing that tomorrow, she was going to exercise Abby’s newfound freedom to the fullest extent.

“Mommy I love it.” Abby squealed as they bounced into the house the next afternoon. Tyler and Nate were both at hockey practice while TJ lounged on the couch, flipping through a Williams Sonoma magazine with concern to the new nursery.

“Love what?” TJ asked, noting that neither of his girls seemed to be carrying any shopping bags from their afternoon trip to the mall. Tomorrow all three Oshie’s would be going back to school and Brianna claimed that Abby needed some new jeans before they took off to the Ballwin Mall.

“Look!” Abby squealed excitedly, pulling up the hem of her t-shirt to show her Dad the new piercing her mother had taken her to get this afternoon. TJ could feel the valves in his heart slowly shutting down as he witnessed the small diamond sitting in his daughter’s belly button.

“What is that?!” He all but screeched, his face turning bright red the same way it would when he had too much to drink.

“Mom took me to get it.” Abby smiled, not letting his obvious tantrum keep her from enjoying the new edition to her body.

“Brianna?!” TJ’s voice cracked as his eyes nearly popped from his skull. “Take it out! We did not agree on that!” He insisted, crossing the room to his daughter who quickly ducked behind Brianna.

“Mommy, make him stop.” Abby frowned. “I like it, I don’t want to take it out.”

“TJ, stop.” Brianna said sternly, gaining his attention. “I went and got my cartilage pierced and I asked Abby if she wanted anything done. I didn’t pressure her into it and I didn’t say she had to.” She replied with a smug grin, pushing her hair behind her ear to show off the new piercing.

TJ frowned, knowing she was getting him back for the tattoos that he had gotten with the boys in Mexico.

“That is completely different and you know it.” He growled deeply. “Abby is thirteen, thirteen.” He insisted.

“Remind me, TJ, how old was Nate?” Brianna asked, quirking her eyebrow at him, not intimidated by his harsh tone.

“Fifteen is plenty different than thirteen and you know it.” He frowned, pushing his hand through his hair again. A few moments of silence passed, Abby glancing back and forth between her parents anxiously. “Fine!” He huffed. “We both did something we shouldn’t.” He admitted both of their guilt. “But please, no more augmenting Abby’s body without running it by me first.” He insisted.

Brianna readily agreed before he could whimper again, looking down at his precious girl.

“Just don’t let me see it for a long time. I want to forget it’s there.”
♠ ♠ ♠
another update because i got such great feedback on the last one!
keep it up! i would absolutely love it!
how do you feel about this one?
i'm gonna really try to update adam next because i need to wrap up that story
and if not adam, i'll probably update staal!
thanks girls!
<33

also, you may or may not be interested in this.