Home Is Where Your Heart Is

Chapter 2

“There is no way!” Sophia protested loudly through the pain as they were rolling the gurney she was currently laying on, down the fluffy colored corridors, Dorrie walking beside her.

“Trust me,” the nurse who was pushing the gurney said, “the doctors are right,” she insisted.

“No!” Sophia continued to disagree. “I'm saying that there is no way that that’s what’s wrong with me, trust me,” she exclaimed.

“Maybe you should just concentrate on breathing evenly right now,” Dorrie suggested as she reached out and held Sophia’s hand. “And you can argue with the doctor when she gets here,” she added as the nurses stopped and one of them opened a door to an empty room and they began wheeling her inside.

“I can’t do this,” Sophia whined, looking up at Dorrie.

“Trust me, hun,” Dorrie smiled knowingly as she followed them into the room. “You can do this and you will do this,” she stated as she watched the nurses hook her friend up the numerous of different monitors.

“We’re going to be right back, but if there’s an emergency before we are, just push this alarm button,” the nurse smiled sweetly as Dorrie made herself comfortable in a chair and Sophia ran her hands over her face. “This is so not happening to me,” she groaned into her hands, causing Dorrie to laugh slightly. “This has to be a dream,” she complained.

“Keep telling yourself that and it might just come true,” Dorrie smiled.

“Don’t joke with the girl in pain,” Sophia whined. “I'm suffering enough as it is.”

“I'm sorry,” Dorrie apologized sincerely. “I’ll play nice from now on,” she added smiling as she gently held her hurting friend’s hand, silently praying that the game would end soon so she could hand her back over to her boyfriend.

Nibbling slightly on her newly manicured thumbnail, Vero slowly entered the locker room, jumping a mile as Marc wrapped her in a close hug and kissed her. Responding unenthusiastically, she glanced around the room feeling a bit scared, causing him to frown at her.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” he asked slowly, his hands resting on her hips as he tried to catch her gaze. “You seem distracted,” he noted.

“Yeah, just a little,” Vero nodded slowly as she looked around again, not seeing who she was looking for and jerking slightly as she heard a familiar voice from behind her.

“Hey V. Do you know where Sophia is?”

“Hi,” Vero smiled strained as she pushed Marc’s hands away and turned around towards their smiling friend. “About that,” she began slowly, having no idea as to how she was going to break the news to him. “Max…” she began a second time, “she’s at the hospital,” she revealed, watching surprise and fear was over his features.

“She was complaining about back twinges when I picked her up this morning already but she kept brushing it off as nothing,” she tried to explain. “And then, in the middle of the game, she just collapsed,” she revealed. “We called an ambulance and Dorrie went with her. I called, but the hospital can’t say anything and neither of them have their phones on,” she apologized.

“She’s sick?” Max asked sounding vaguely detached from what was happening.

“I really don’t know,” Vero admitted honestly.

“I have to…” Max trailed off, not really knowing what he had to do.

“We’ll drive you,” Marc stated, leading the other two out of the locker room, determination written all over his features as he headed towards his large Ranger Rover out in the players’ parking lot.

All of them getting into the car, he began the drive to the closest hospital where Sophia had been taken, neither of them knowing what was happening or what was waiting for them when they finally arrived.