Home Is Where Your Heart Is

Chapter 5

The Following Day

Pulling her hair into a lose ponytail, Sophia looked down at the sleeping baby in the car seat Dorrie had went out and got for her the previous day.

Her son.

Brushing away a stray tear from her cheek that had escaped her eye, she made sure that her things were all back in her back before picking it up and placing it over her shoulder. Picking up the car seat, she slowly walked towards the doors and left the room.

Walking out into the hall, she smiled softly as she saw Vero waiting for her in the seats by the nurses’ station.

“You ready to go, mummy?” Vero smiled as she got up and approached Sophia, silently offering to take her bag.

“Yeah, I really hate hospitals,” Sophia admitted as she gave Vero the bag and shifted the car seat over to her other hand before the two of them began walking down the corridor and towards the elevators. Reaching the garage, they quickly approached Vero’s BMW SUV and after securely strapping the seat in, they both got inside the car and Vero drove towards the exit, and in Sophia’s mind, freedom.

Sitting on the terrace of Dorrie and Mark’s secluded house in the outskirts of Pittsburgh, her leg pulled up on her chair and her other foot pushing the baby carrier to and fro, Sophia just stared out over the large backyard, silently wondering how the hell her life, in the matter of hours, could become such a screwed up mess…

“You okay?” Dorrie asked softly as she joined her and sank down in a chair close by.

“I'm just wondering when life turned against me,” Sophia shrugged simply. “What did I do wrong?” she asked rhetorically.

“Nothing,” Dorrie stated frankly. “You're going to be fine. It will take some time getting used to, but when you do, everything is going to be fine,” she smiled confidently.

“I hope so,” Sophia sighed before she turned to look at her friend. “You’ve been a really good friend to me,” she began, “you’ve probably seen more of me than you’ve even imagined you would,” she continued blushing widely. “You were there for me and this little guy when I really needed you,” she smiled softly as she nodded her head towards the sleeping baby. “Anyway, I was sort of thinking that, maybe, you wanted to be his godmother?”

“Really?” Dorrie asked surprised.

“Yeah, it really would mean a lot to me,” Sophia nodded seriously.

“I would be an honor to be the godmother to such a beautiful little boy,” Dorrie smiled widely.

“You sure?”

“I'm sure,” Dorrie nodded. “Have you thought about a name for ‘this little guy’?” she asked curiously.

“I’ve thought about it, but I can’t think of one,” Sophia admitted softly. “I always thought that I would have at least a few months to figure stuff like that out.”

“Yeah, you're a freak of nature,” Dorrie joked, happy to find that her friend was able to crack, a happy, real smile. “You don’t have to hurry; you still have time to figure stuff like that out. And you can stay here as long as you need,” she reassured her.

“Thanks, but I don’t want to impose, so I'm going to figure something out soon,” Sophia stated.

“That’s great and all, just remember what I said,” Dorrie insisted.

“I will,” Sophia nodded as the baby woke up screaming loudly and she got up from the chair, quickly picking him up as she figured that he probably needed to eat.

Watching her friend, Dorrie smiled slightly. When she’d had Kylie years earlier, she had officially been freaking out and had looked like death warmed over, twice, for several weeks afterwards. And if she was honest, things hadn’t been much better when Adriana had arrived just three years ago. Sophia was as calm as ever and as she had never actually looked pregnant to begin with, she certainly didn’t look post-pregnant now. She looked like one of those picture-perfect mothers everyone envied, if it wasn't for the sad look constantly present in her eyes that was…