Maybe Someday

Regret

Ellen couldn’t keep track of all the people Sidney had introduced her to. It wasn’t like she had time to talk to any of them before she was whisked off to someone else, so she didn’t think it really mattered. It was an odd feeling being at that party; she almost felt like she was Sidney’s arm candy for the night, especially with the looks his teammates were giving their young captain that hadn’t gone unnoticed by Ellen.

She had excused herself to the restroom after she was sure she and Sid were making their second trip around the backyard. Walking into the quiet house, she opted to head up to the bathroom in Sidney’s room, knowing it would take just a little more time for her to get back to the party. She was, after all, feeling slightly overwhelmed. She was not in her scene at all. She was a small town, simple girl. Even in Paris, she and Pierre (who actually had enough friends, acquaintances, and business partners to throw the same kind of party) kept to themselves and were a simple, quiet couple.

She checked her appearance and freshened up before leaving Sidney’s bedroom, almost bumping into someone on the way out. “I’m sorry!” Ellen said, grabbing onto the girl’s arm, but the girl just laughed, waving her hand.

“It’s fine; I’m sure you didn’t expect anyone to be outside Sid’s door. I’m Emily, by the way; Jordan’s girlfriend.”

“Oh,” Ellen smiled, remembering how she had been introduced to the girl. “Of course.”

“I saw you come into the house; I’m sure you must be a little overwhelmed.”

“Just a little,” Ellen agreed, nodding her head as she and the petite brunette made their way down the stairs. “I don’t know how Sid does it.”

“He’s a pro at this kind of thing.”

Ellen laughed, “That’s what’s so funny about it; he was such an introvert as a kid. This kind of big gathering would terrify him and me too.”

Emily nodded, laughing lightly as they made their way to the back yard. Ellen motioned for the other girl to step into the backyard ahead of her, holding the door open for her as she did. Emily smiled, but stopped suddenly, her eyes locked on Ellen’s hand and the diamond ring on her left ring finger. “Is that..?”

“Oh!” Ellen smiled, pulling her left hand in front of her to glance at the ring. “I’m engaged; getting married next summer.”

“But we thought…” She stopped, closing her eyes with a large sigh.

“What?” Ellen asked, pulling her eyebrows together in confusion.

“All of the guys think you’re Sidney’s girlfriend.” Ellen raised her eyebrows, her mouth forming an ‘O’ as she nodded. She looked at Sidney, laughing with a few of his teammates, glad he seemed to be in one spot; happy she wouldn’t have to make small talk with more business men she didn’t know. Emily broke her thought, asking, “What’s his name?”

“Pierre,” Ellen smiled. “He’s a restaurant owner in Paris.”

“And you met him when you went there for school, then?” Ellen nodded, glad Sid had at least mentioned that much. The two girls made their way to where he stood with Jordan Staal, Maxime Talbot, Marc-Andre Fleury and his girlfriend, Vivienne. Emily moved to stand next to Jordan, and on instinct, Ellen moved next to Sidney, frowning slightly when everyone (besides Emily) smiled at her and Sid.

“So,” Emily started. “I found out Ellen’s engaged.”

Everyone’s smiles fell and they stared wide-eyed at Sidney and Ellen. Even Sid had lost his smile, which was another thing that didn’t go unnoticed by Ellen. She, however, wore a huge smile as she held up her left hand for the group to see. She glanced up at Sid to see him smiling lightly back down at her, but she saw right past it. It wasn’t a true Sidney smile.

“We thought you two were together,” Jordan frowned, looking at the two of them, Ellen’s right hand still wrapped tightly in Sid’s.

“No,” Sid said, shaking his head slightly. “We’re just best friends, Staalzy.” Ellen smiled, glad Sid laughed as he made that announcement. She wasn’t sure she could handle anymore awkwardness between them. The group all nodded, glad things were cleared up as they watched some of Mario’s business partners come their way, obviously on their way out the door and wanting to say goodbye to the superstar.

Sidney obliged them, walking with them and Mario to the front door, leaving his teammates, Ellen, and Emily in the yard. Emily smiled and turned to the other young girl, “Tell me about Paris!”

- - -

Ellen was exhausted when she, Sidney, and the Lemieux family saw the last guest out of the house. Ellen was practically dependent on Sidney to keep her standing upright, making everyone laugh lightly as they shooed the young friends up to their bedrooms. Sidney wrapped his arm around Ellen’s shoulder, helping her tired body climb the stairs knowing the past few days of driving and non-stop action had finally caught up with her.

Ellen fell onto Sidney’s bed dramatically, instantly curling up against his pillows and blankets, making him laugh and shake his head. “El, this is my room, not yours.” When he received only a mumbled sound in return, he shrugged and left her where she was, heading into this bathroom after grabbing a pair of shorts to change into.

When he stepped back into his bedroom, Ellen looked wide awake as she sat on Sid’s bed, her legs crossed underneath her, playing with the hem of her skirt. “You were close to passed out two minutes ago,” he laughed, sitting next to her.

“You’re different,” she frowned, ignoring his comment. Sid frowned, too, but because he didn’t understand what she meant. “I would always think about what it would be like if I saw you again, and I guess I always had this fantasy that nothing would have changed. We’d still be the same kids we were when we were each other’s worlds.”

“Ellen,” he tried to interrupt.

“I realize that was stupid, because I changed, too.” Sid frowned deeper when he looked into Ellen’s blue eyes and saw tears in them. He didn’t say anything else (he really didn’t know what to say) and he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into him. “I wish we never lost touch,” she continued.

“That’s my fault,” he said immediately, but Ellen shook her head.

“I should have forced your superstar ass to keep in touch with me.” Sid smiled, despite the feelings of regret he still held about the entire situation. Ellen laughed too, through her tears, keeping her hold on Sidney’s body. “I’m not used to you being famous.”

“Well, the pre-season starts soon, El. You better get used to it soon.”

“I suppose you’re right... You know, I’m not really tired anymore; up for watching a movie?” Sid nodded, moving to rest his bare back against the headboard of his bed, motioning for her to scoot next to him. Ellen laughed, “I’m going to go change first.”

As she quickly pulled on a pair of cotton shorts and a tank top before joining Sidney, a moment of guilt rushed through her as she climbed onto the bed next to him, cuddling up to his body as he pressed ‘play’ on the remote. She thought about Pierre, her sweet, understanding fiancé back in Paris, missing her and waiting for her to come home.

Home; Ellen had learned it was not so much a place but a feeling instead.

And the thing she had feared the most when she had agreed to follow Sidney to Pittsburgh was true. Sitting next to the Pittsburgh Penguins’ captain she found there was one thing that definitely had not changed from when they were teenagers.

To Ellen, Sidney Crosby – everything about him – was home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of shorter, I know, but clearly this chapter is super important.
Comments, please! <3