Maybe Someday

Can't Stop

Two weeks in Pittsburgh had flown by, and Ellen and Sidney had moved into the condo he had found for them. They easily fell into a routine, finding that living with each other came naturally to them; they knew everything about the other. They knew what to do and what not to do, especially Ellen.

She could gauge Sid’s moods like it was her job. With the pre-season’s start getting closer and closer, Ellen could see Sidney getting more and more serious with each day. He would poke into her bedroom, extremely early every morning to let her know his plans for the day, and when he would meet up with her after he had done his workout, his meetings, and his other duties as the Captain of the Stanley Cup Champion, Pittsburgh Penguins.

Ellen had more free time than she ever had meaning she had more time to think than ever, and she wasn’t sure that was a good thing. Images of Pierre and Sidney floated around her head, as well as her favorite memories with each of them. The memories with Sidney appeared more often, but she chalked it up to having known him longer, or at least she hoped that was the case.

With her new found freedom, the blond found herself walking around Pittsburgh, trying new restaurants, going into shops, meeting a few people, and enjoying the sites around her. She was halfway between her and Sid’s condo and Mellon Arena when she found a small art store, a painting of Paris catching her eye. Walking in, she was greeted by a young brunette girl, no older than her.

“Can I see that painting in the window? The one of Paris,” Ellen told the girl, making her grin.

“This is one of my own,” she said.

“Oh!” Ellen grinned. “It’s lovely; have you been there?”

The girl shook her head sadly, “I’ve always wanted to.”

“You should definitely go one day.”

“Have you been there?” the girl asked, watching Ellen stare fondly down at the painting of the Eiffel Tower and the gardens surrounding it.

“I’ve lived there for four years now,” Ellen said with a laugh as the girl’s eyes lit up. “I’m in Pittsburgh visiting a friend; I’ll be here until January.”

“Your friend must be something special to take you away from a beautiful place like Paris.”

Ellen paused, looking down at the painting again before locking her eyes on the girl’s, smiling fondly at her statement. “Yeah, he’s pretty special…” Sidney was the kind of person, whether he and Ellen were just friends or more that could make her think twice about going back to the city she had fallen in love with and had made her home. She was already thinking twice and it had only been three weeks since they had been reunited “How much for this?”

The girl shook her head, “You can have it.”

“But, it’s your work! I couldn’t just take it.”

“I can see that you love it; please, I want you to have it.”

Ellen grinned and nodded, thanking the girl and promising to come to the store again, and that time she would actually buy something. When the girl agreed with a laugh, Ellen headed towards the door of the shop, her eyes immediately locking on the silver Range Rover parked at the curb.

“I thought that was you,” Sidney laughed as Ellen stood in the doorway to the shop, the painting under her arm. Ellen glanced back at the girl, whose eyes were wide as she mouthed ’Sidney Crosby!’ making the blond laugh.

“I told you he was special,” Ellen said, shooting a wink at the girl before fully stepping out of the shop and climbing into the passenger seat of Sid’s car.

“What was that about, El?”

“Oh nothing,” she told him, shrugging her shoulders. “The girl working at that art shop let me have one of her paintings.”

“Oh yeah?” he asked, pulling to a stop at a red light, looking over to see the image of Paris before him. “Wow; that’s really good.”

“I love it,” Ellen laughed. “I miss Paris.” Sid nodded, and didn’t say anything. “That doesn’t mean I don’t love being here with you, Sid. I just miss the place I’ve been living for four years, you know?”

“You miss home,” he said, smiling lightly, making Ellen’s body freeze at his words, her realization that Sidney was her home coming back to her. She nodded and let out a small laugh, hoping he wouldn’t notice her uncomfortable reaction, and as he continued to drive back to their building, it seemed he didn’t.

“How was your workout?” she asked, hoping to change the subject.

“It was alright; I never enjoy working out, really. I just do it because I have to.”

“You’re a liar. You love working out; makes you feel all macho.” Sidney laughed loudly, his nostrils flaring and his eyes thinning into slits as his cheeks moved up with his smile.

Ellen began to laugh, too. Sidney’s laugh, his real, obnoxious, genuine laugh was as contagious as something could be. Soon, the pair were both hysterical, not even remembering what the comment had been that made them laugh in the first place. “Oh my god, Sid, eyes on the road. We’re going to get into a car accident, and Mario will send my ass back to France so fast.”

It wasn’t until they were in their condo did their laughter finally subside and Sidney fell onto their couch with a loud sigh. “I haven’t done that since I was a teenager.”

“What?”

“Laughed for no reason,” he said. “It feels good.”

Ellen frowned, putting her purse and the painting next to the couch before she flopped on it next to him. “Sid… you work too much and play too little.”

“What can I do, Ellen? Playing hockey is what I love to do; not being able to do ’normal’ things is a price I’m willing to pay. You know that.”

She nodded, “I know, but I still think you need to completely let loose once in a while, and before you get all testy, I don’t mean that you should go out and party, but like… Go to the mall. Go to the movies. Eat out at a fast food place. Sid, I worry about you.”

“That stuff really isn’t an option in Pittsburgh.”

“It’s not in the entire country of Canada, either, but I still think you should.”

“One of these days,” he told her, wiping his hand over his forehead and into his hair. “I’m going to buy another house, somewhere where I’m not recognized by almost everyone. I’d love a place where I’m not stuck in my house most of the time.”

“Buy a house in Paris,” she said with laughter in her voice.

“What? Next door to you and Pierre?” he asked. “We’ll be such a happy family.”

Ellen frowned, her eyes staying on Sidney’s face to see him frowning just as she was. Sidney let out a long, loud breath before getting off of the couch and walking away from his best friend. Ellen frowned and stayed where she was, not sure if following after him would be a good idea.

He disappeared into the kitchen for a few moments before he came back, rushing back into the room, his eyes full of an emotion Ellen had never seen cross his features. Jealousy rushed through the twenty-two year old as he stared at Ellen. He grabbed her hand in his and pulled up from the couch and toward him. Her eyes widened as she tumbled forward and into his chest, her arms wrapping around him to keep her balance.

“Sid…”

“Please, Ellen, no. Just…” he sighed. “I don’t know what to fucking do.” She raised her eyebrows at his words, hearing the frustration in them. Sidney shook his head and stepped back from her, dropping his hands from her arms. “Are you happy with him?” She opened her mouth, letting his name roll off of her tongue again, but the hockey player shook his head, repeating, “Are you happy with him; yes or no?”

“Yes, I am, but Sid – ”

“Okay,” he said, nodding to himself more than her. “Then forget it.”

“Forget what. Sid? You can’t just come in here with a fury, grab me, and then tell me to forget it. I’m not one of your teammates, or your coaches; I’m your best friend, Sid! I’ve known you since we were little kids, and ever since then I’ve been dealing with your ‘closed-up, never share your emotions or feelings’ bullshit.”

Ellen huffed out a frustrated breath, almost wanting to laugh at what she had just said. Never, in their almost twenty years of friendship had she ever blown up at him like she just had, and she had to admit she was proud of herself, even if the scandalized look on Sidney’s face was something she could easily laugh at.

“Wow,” he breathed out, putting his hands on top of his head and staring down at the small blond girl before him.

“Tell me what you’re feeling, thinking, or something, or I’m going to leave. I can’t deal with this until January.”

“I… I didn’t want to pretend the kiss never happened,” he started. “When I kissed you, I realized nothing had changed. I’m still has crazy about you as I ever was, maybe even more. I feel so fucking stupid for letting you go, and now you’re going to marry someone else.”

“Sid,” Ellen tried to interrupt, but he wouldn’t let her.

“You can’t marry that guy, Ellen,” he said, ignoring the annoyed ’Pierre’ she let out, correcting him. “I never stopped loving you.” Without giving her a chance to speak or even process what he had just said, Sidney pressed his lips against hers, holding her tightly against his body. Giving in, Ellen kissed back, knowing what he had told her was true for her, too. She had never stopped loving Sidney either.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little shorter than usual, but obviously super important.
I have 144 subscribers, so 15-20 comments will get you the next chapter! <3