‹ Prequel: Hospital

Tragedy Strikes

Prom

"Mom! I need help!" I call through the house the evening I'm supposed to go to prom with Franky. I decided to get ready here because face it, I wasn't exactly going to ask my dad to help me with my hair.
"Yeah Sadie?" my mom asks coming down the hallway.
"Zip up my dress," I say turning my back to her. She zips it up and does the clasp to the shiny red corset dress we bought earlier this week.
"Still gotta do your hair," my mother says as she pushes me slightly towards the chair. She twists my hair and pins it up, allowing a few strands of hair to dangle by my cheek. She then proceeds to gelling the tips of my hair so they spike up. She hands me a mirror and I look at myself, the tips of my hair are bright red.
"Coloured gel?" I ask amused.
"Yeah, thought you'd like it," my mom says proudly.
"Yeah it's awesome."
"Are you going to do your own make-up or do you want me to do it?" she asks as she looks me over.
"I'll do it," I mumble as I grab my bag and retrieve my eyeliner and red lip gloss. I apply both then take a final look in the mirror. Ready right on time because just then the door bell rings.

I grab my purse off my bed and hurry over to the door. I open it to find Franky standing there eagerly in a tux.
"Looking sharp," I say giggling, "Very James Bond."
"Thanks, you look haw-great." I could tell he was going to say 'hot' but my mom was right there.
"Mind if I go cheesy and take a picture?" my mom asks already holding the camera.
"Guess I don't have a choice," I laugh as Franky puts an arm around my waist, I put my arm around his and my mom snaps a few pictures.

We step outside into the warm June air and head over to Franky's car.
"I was going to say it before, you look hot." He says grinning from ear to ear. I just smile as I go to kiss his lips. We get into the car and he starts it up and pulls out of the driveway.
"So where is your school?" I ask casually glancing out the window.
"Downtown Oakland."
"Lot of druggies?"
"A few," He laughs, "I'm sure there's just as many at your school." I shrug.
"Guy tried to sell me hash the other day, but other than that I'd have to go out of my way to get the good stuff," I joke.
"Oh well, if I hang around the front gate long enough I'll get offered."
"Oh see, if I stand around a corner people ask me for my price." He bursts out laughing at this comment.
"That's ridiculous, you don't look like a hooker Sadie."
"And you know this how?" I joke.
"Books!" he exclaims as he changes lane to get on the over-pass.
"Books my ass," I giggle as I move to kiss his cheek. "I'm jittery."
"Why's that?"
"I dunno, never been to a prom, no less at a different school," I say on the verge of a giggle fit.
"But you've met a couple of my friends," Franky says casually as he turns off one of the main streets.
"Yeah, Joel and Gregory," I say trying to remember their names.
"And if you feel that insecure you can glue yourself to my side." I giggle.
"You're sweet."
"Yup, you should lick me," I roll my eyes laughing.
"Maybe later."

"Uhh just let me find a parking spot," Franky groans as I catch glimpse of the private school. We drive down half a block when we arrive at the parking lot. He parks the car then heads around the car to open my door.
"Opening my door?" I ask cocking an eyebrow as I link arms with his.
"Yeah well," he turns red. I kiss his cheek.
"Might have to start calling you Frank."
"Ew no," he laughs as we continue down the side walk, "That's my grandfather."
"Okay Franky," I laugh, he opens one of the front doors of the school and we walk inside and follow the sound of the music to the banquet hall, which was actually the gymnasium.

A teacher or principal or something is standing at the door with a clipboard.
"Ahh Mr. Wright, almost didn't recognize you," he laughs as he looks over the list, "And what is your name."
"Sadie Ser-"
"Defiance." Franky interrupts.
"Right, you're table fifteen," he says casually.

"You put my stage name?" I question laughing.
"You gotta start using it." He laughs as we go up to one of the many circular tables where I recognize Joel getting his flirt on with a dark haired girl and another guy (probably Gregory) kissing a blond haired gothic looking chick.
"Hey guys," Franky says as we sit down.
"Hey," Joel says smugly as he puts his arm around his date. Gregory parts lips with his date to look at us.
"Sadie, this is Tess," he motions toward Joel's date, "and Alexa." Gregory's date.
"Nice to meet you," I say smiling.
"So you're the infamous Sadie," Alexa laughs, "I though Franky made you up."
"Funny, my friends thought I made Franky up."
"Yeah, you two are a made up couple," Joel teases.
"You don't exist," Tess laughs.
"Oh so if we don't exist, how about Sadie gives me a blow job right here?" Franky says cocking an eyebrow.
"Don't give blow jobs," I say crossing my arms.
"Hand job?"
"I'll think about it."
"Please don't, I rather not see your cock," Gregory mutters.
"But we don't exist," Franky laughs.

I'm not really sure what's supposed to happen at a prom, so I just look around. The music is blasting but not a single person is on the dance floor, people have glasses of punch in their hand; so cliché.
"Is someone going to spike the punch?" I ask, everyone starts to laugh.
"Umm, I didn't bring my vodka flask, sorry babe," Franky jokes.
"Shut-up, I'm going to do it," Joel says wide eyed. "Later, when everyone's dancing and shit." I put my hand over my mouth to stop from laughing.
"Are you serious?" Alexa asks eagerly. He pulls a water bottle out of Alexa's purse.
"You wanna smell it?" I grab it from him and take a sniff. I giggle as I pass it around the table.

There's a buzz of the microphone and the guy who greeted us at the door steps onto the middle of the dance floor.
"Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to welcome you all to Howard Myer High School's Graduation Prom 2019. Enjoy your evening." And with that several waiters from a catering service appear with large trays and start placing bowls of soup in front of everyone.

"It smells like urine," Gregory announces.
"Shut up and eat your piss like a good boy," Joel laughs.
"But I don't wanna Mommy." We all burst into a fit of hysterics as we start to sip our soup. Two more plates of food come and go and people start to dance.

"The music sucks," I mumble. Franky nods. I stand up and Franky just stares at me.
"Where are you going?"
"To dance."
"But you just said."
"I know," I laugh as I take his hand.

"I can't dance," he says as we make our way past the tables.
"I'll teach you then."
"Seriously," he says as we get onto the dance floor. I sigh and put my arms around his neck.
"Just step on the beat, back and forth," I mumble. "I know you can count the beat of music," he just smiles as we starts to dance.
"Am I doing good?" he asks a minute later.
"Yup," I giggle.

"Try the punch," Joel says casually walking past.
"Think we should do what he says." I whisper into Franky's ear. We walk over to the punch bowl and Franky pours two glasses and hands me one.
"Oh very good," Franky laughs as we head back to the table.

"Ever consider a career in bartending?" I ask laughing as I sip my punch.
"I am now," Joel laughs.
"Wonder how long before some suck up snitches," Alex sighs, "Can't keep their mouth shut and live a day."
"Honestly," Tess mumbles.
"Well I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts," Gregory says downing his drink. "Want another babe?" Alexa nods as he walks off.

"Students!" one of the teachers says grabbing the mic, "Please stop drinking the punch, we have just been informed that it has been spiked."
"Darn," Joel snickers.
"The waiters will be coming around to collect your glasses," I down my punch, and it seems everyone else in the gymnasium seems to do the same.
"Now how are we supposed to get wasted?" Gregory sighs as he returns to the table empty handed.

Later that night Franky drops me off at my mom's house.
"So how was it?" she asks wide eyed.
"It was fun," I say taking off my shoes and undoing my hair. "Danced, ate, drank spiked punch."
"Someone spiked the punch?" she asks laughing, I nod.
"Then the teachers found out and made an announcement to stop drinking it right away and that the waiters would come get our glasses and at that moment everyone downed their punch as fast as they could."
"So stupid sometimes," My mom laughs.
"Well I'm really tired, I'm going to bed," I say heading to my room.