‹ Prequel: Hospital

Tragedy Strikes

Franky Time

"Sadie, phone!" my father calls through the house on Saturday morning, causing me to wake up. I let out a groan, it's probably my mom or something. "It's Franky!" I jolt out of bed and practically fly to the phone.
"Hello?" I say out of breath.
"Hey, sorry did I wake you up?" Franky asks awkwardly.
"I was bound to wake up eventually."
"Okay, well I was wondering if you wanted to do something with me today."
"Sure, okay. What did you have in mind?"
"Lunch? Then the movies?"
"Yeah sounds like fun." I say almost giddy.
"Okay, I'll pick you up around noon."
"See you then." I can feel my cheeks glowing with excitement as I hang up the phone.

I go to the kitchen to put the phone back on the charger and my father looks up at me from the newspaper.
"What did he want?"
"We're going to the movies today."
"That explains why you're so giddy." He says in mockery as I pull the carton of orange juice out of the fridge.
"I'm not giddy, I don't get giddy." I sneer as I pour the orange juice into a glass.
"Call it what you will, but I'm calling it giddy." I roll my eyes and guzzle down the rest of my juice and put my glass in the dishwasher.

I make my way to the washroom to take my shower. I wrap a towel around myself and slink back into my room to choose what to wear. I know it doesn't matter what I wear because our first few meetings I was in pajamas and my hair and make-up was well not at it's best. I decide on casual black pants and a turquoise polo. I blow dry my hair so it's smooth and silky then move onto applying a coat of black eyeliner.

I realize I still have about half an hour before Franky is supposed to pick me up so I pick up my guitar and start playing some random stuff. In the middle of playing Suffragette City someone opens my bedroom door. I look up to see it's my dad.
"Sorry, was I playing to loud?"
"Obviously, you didn't hear your boyfriend ring the doorbell." My eyes bulge and I turn off my amp and grab my bag.
"He's not my boyfriend." I say gritting my teeth. My dad snickers. "Not yet anyway."
"Alrighty then." He teases as I head to the entrance where Frankito is standing there rocking on his heels.

"Hey Sadie, getting your Bowie on?" I laugh.
"Yeah I guess so." I pull on my black and red chucks and we head out. "Did my dad talk to you?"
"Yeah, just said hi and stuff. Why?" he asks as we head over to a red Honda, which must be his.
"Nothing, he has a tendency of interrogating my boy-" I stop, "My guy friends worse than a customs officer." Franky laughs.
"Yeah, my dad does that to my sister's boyfriends. I've always felt sorry for the poor guys." He pauses as he starts up the car, "Did your dad ever use the be good or I'll remove your nuts with a chainsaw threat?"
"No but he did sit him at a table and showed him what a butcher knife looked like." Franky laughs.
"My dad used that one too!" he's still laughing, "That's why I'm wasn't afraid of your dad because I know it's all bluffs. At least I think it's bluffs, her boyfriends never really did anything deserving of amputation."
"So you should still be afraid of my dad then, unless your intentions are pure."
"Ahhhhh, not sure about that." He jokes as he pulls into the parking lot of a local burger joint. "Are you vegetarian?"
"Nope."
"Okay good." He says as we step out of the car.

We head inside and sit at the counter.
"I've never been here before." I say looking over at Franky.
"Really? Well then, you should try their hamburgers, between you and me, I think the hot dogs are nuclear."
"Oh okay, well I'll have to trust you." A waitress comes up to us.
"What can I get you?"
"Two hamburgers a coke and a. . ." he looks over at me.
"Sprite."
"Right, anything else." She asks monotonously.
"Nope." Franky says and she walks away.

Our food is served promptly, hence it's called fast food.
"So you live with your dad?"
"Yeah, my parents divorced when I was like four." I say shrugging.
"Why'd you stay with your dad? I mean usually the mother get custody."
"I don't know, my dad had for flexible working hours and stuff, so he could be around more."
"Oh."
"What about you?"
"Do you really want to know?" I nod. "Okay, it's slightly disturbing."
"I'm a disturbed person." I laugh.
"Alright, well when I was like four, my parents separated, never really made a clear break because my dad was touring at the time. Anyway when I was six my dad moved out then about six months after he moved out, I woke up one morning to find him in the kitchen in only his boxers."
"Oh god."
"Yeah, then he scooped me up and told me he was moving back."
"Well if you look past the disturbing, it's sort of a good thing." I can't help but giggle.
"And then a couple of years ago they started sleeping in separate rooms and then one day BAM! Everything was all better." Now I really couldn't contain myself, I'm in hysterics, "Yeah, yeah laugh it up."
"I'm sorry." I squeal, "but your parent's have to be the most amusing couple over."
"Yeah, yeah."
"What about your sister? She calls your mom Claudia."
"Yeah, she's my half sister. My dad knocked up his girlfriend, married her and got divorced a year later."
"Ahh okay then." I smile, "How very blunt of you." we finish up our burgers then head out to his car.

We drive to the movie theatre, discussing the bands playing on the radio along the way.
"Mmm this is, Panic! At the Disco." I say pointing dumbly at the radio, "I wonder what ever happened to them."
"Yeah, they were pretty good. Somewhat strange though."
"Since when is strange a bad thing?"
"Good point." He says nodding as the next song come on, "This is Slipknot."
"Yeah, they were never any good to begin with." I say as Franky turns off the radio.
"In the words of Billie Joe, they sound like Tre choking on a hair ball."
"I rather not picture that." I say giggling.
"That's for the best then."