‹ Prequel: Hospital

Tragedy Strikes

Man ***s

The phone rings out through the house as I got home from school. I drop my bag and run for the phone. I grab it on the fifth ring.
"Hello?" I say out of breath.
"Yes, is this Sadie.... Defiance?" I laugh, Tre wrote my stage name on the cover of the demo.
"Yup."
"This is Blake Atwood from Adeline."
"Yeah Bill frie-Mr. Armstrong said you'd be calling," I manage to stutter.
"Well I'm proud to tell you that we've considered your demo and would like to see Tragedy Strikes play live."
"Alright."
"Now do you have an upcoming gig, or do we have to set one up."
"No, we don't."
"Alright, that fact that you're under eighteen presents complications."
"We all have full parental consent."
"Yes I've received those but clubs generally don't accept minors to play," I hear the sound of a keyboard clicking in the background. "Well there's an anti-war protest concert next Friday. Would you be ready by then?"
"Definitely," I say excitedly.
"Where you have a thirty minute slot to fill."
"Perfect," Blake gives me the rest of the details about the protest concert and then I move on to calling Kimmy and Chicklet.

I practically dash for the bus to Kimmy's house so we could have a practice right away. I've never seen us set up for band practice so quickly, we're on a friggin roll. Choosing the songs to play, practicing them. Two hours into band practice we decide to take a short break.
"Oh! I need to call Angelo!" Kimmy bursts out. She grabs her phone and dials the number like there's no tomorrow.

"So what's up with you and Franky?" Chicklet asks as she twists open a bottle of water.
"We've organized guitarist meetings," I laugh.
"Hmm I somehow doubt you guys talk about guitar at all." She laughs.
"Oh, we're not all skanks like you," I tease, "Yeah I guess you're right."
"I'm always right."
"So have you asked Jesse out yet?" I say to catch her off guard.
"Fuck you."
"Awe well sweetie that would just make Franky jealous now wouldn't it," I say as she slaps my arm. "Jesse likes you too you know."
"Sure," she rolls her eyes.
"It's true!" Kimmy yells interrupting her own phone conversation.
"You two are full of shit," Chicklet mutters.
"And you aren't," I sneer. "We should change our band name to Shitheads!"
"How about no," Kimmy says hanging up the phone and taking her place behind the drum set.

Just as we're about to start up again my cell phone rings. I pull it out of my pocket and answer it.
"Hey," Franky's voice says smoothly. "Where are you?"
"Why?"
"You're not home," he whines, "I came over to celebrate."
"Celebrate what exactly?"
"The acceptance of your demo, well I just wanted to see you again."
"I'm at Kimmy's, for band practice."
"Oh."
"Come here."
"Really?"
"Yeah, we always have estranged man whores come watch us," I say giggling.
"So that's what I am, an estranged man whore?"
"Take it or leave it," I say laughing. I give him Kimmy's address and dial another number.

"Who are you calling now?" Kimmy demands.
"Someone," I mutter as I smirk evilly. "Hello Jesse?"
"No!" Chicklet yelps as she tries to grab the phone from me.
"Yeah well us girlies are having a band practice and we want an opinion."
"Uh sure.... Kimmy's right?"
"Yup," I say as Chicklet continues to grab at my phone. "See you in a bit."
"Bitch!" Chicklet yells as I hang up my phone.
"You're welcome."
"Why'd you do that?!" meanwhile Kimmy is laughing like a hyena.
"I figured it would to weird of me to ask him to come to our gig, figured you'd like to do that." I say as I fiddle with the settings on my amp. After a couple of songs the door bell rings. Chicklet shoves me out of the way to answer it.

"Hey is this another estranged man whore?" Franky asks pointing to Jesse who's also at the door.
"Yup," I say receiving an evil glare from Chicklet. Franky comes up to me and plants a good one on my lips.
"So let's hear your shit," Jesse says taking a seat on the floor. Franky sits near him and we start up another song.

"That was sexy!" Franky yelps at the end of the song, "I feel like pulling you into the closet and having my way with you."
"Oh you," I say in mock bimbo. "Keep it in your pants."
"Darn it," he says crossing his arms.
"I was wondering what kind of guy would be crazy enough to kiss you," Jesse states in mockery, "And all my questions have been answered."
"Is that an insult?" Franky asks in mock butchness.
"No just commenting on how you're both umm.... Eccentric," I can't help but burst out laughing.

We play a few more songs.
"I'm hungry," Franky whines. "Let's go get some grub."
"Grub?" Kimmy snorts.
"Yeah, I'm hungry too," I say removing my guitar.
"I'll drive!" Franky says happily.
"No shit, you're the only one with a car," Chicklet says rolling her eyes as she removes her bass from her shoulder. "I have to call my mom first."
"Gotta call my dad," I say under my breath as I pull out my cell phone.

We load up in the car after all the calls are made including one to Angelo from Kimmy.
"So uhh where does this Angelo live?" Franky asks as we drive down a specific street.
"Stop..... Here!" Kimmy practically screeches. Franky presses the breaks and Angelo comes up to the car. In order for there to be enough room Kimmy sits on his lap. We head down to the burger place and order a round of burgers and sodas.

Everyone sort of their own separate ways once the burgers are eaten, leaving Chicklet and Jesse at the table alone. Franky and I head outside and sit on the hood of the car.
"Aren't you afraid my fat ass will dent the hood," I say laughing lightly.
"Then that would be one sexy dent," he grins, "You don't have a fat ass, trust me I've looked."
"I'd say perv but I know the shape of your ass like the back of my hand. Next thing I know we're making out right there on the hood of his car.

"Well, dinner and a show," We head Jesse say. Franky moves off and I see Jesse and Chicklet standing there laughing.
"So, should we walk home or can you two contain yourselves?" Chicklet asks laughing.
"Yeah fine, I'll keep my urges under control." Franky mutters as he hops off the hood of the car. I do the same and we pack into the car.
"What about Kimmy and Angelo?" I ask as we all buckle up.
"They're walking to Angelo's," Jesse informs.

Franky drops off Jesse and Chicklet at their houses then starts to drive me home.
"Hey pull over here," I say when we're driving through a more less abandoned street.
"Why?" he asks as he pulls over none the less. I turn off the ignition and start a make out session. One hell of a make out session it is, Franky even reclined his seat back and I was on his lap. Never have I let a guy feel me up but Franky was different. I felt really comfortable around him, like I've known him forever.

"Should get home now." I murmur as I go back into my seat, Franky seems slightly blown away.
"Alright," he says starting the car, "You're a really good kisser you know."
"Thanks, you're not too bad yourself."