Status: Complete

Skull and Dagger

"Frank!"

“Frank!” Gerard's voice from down the hallway quickly shook him back to attention.

Maybe she was all right, maybe she’d found a place to hide - yeah, right - maybe…

He ran out into the hallway just in time to see Gerard drag one of the invaders back from the dinning room and stab him in the back.

“That’s what you get for even thinking of hurting her!” he hissed menacingly.

Frank was at the entrance to the dinning hall door in a flash, his mind registering the sight of Annabelle's beaten, bloody, but still alive…and fighting off two more of the attackers. His mind quickly returned back to the battle at hand, and he easily disposed of her two opponents as Gerard, Elizabeth, and Sites took out the remaining three.

Annabelle stood shakily against the back wall, her feet splayed at shoulder width in a desperate effort to keep her balance, her skirts ripped and caked with blood, several light cuts on her arms and chest, deep purple bruises just beginning to darken on her throat, hair tangled and dirty, eyes wild, the tip of her blade still pointing to where the last attacker had been…

And Frank was stunned speechless. He had never seen anything more beautiful in all his life. The deep ache that had begun in his heart when he thought her dead grew steadily more painful. But this time it wasn’t out of fear but… My love, my goddess… The words flitted through his mind of their own volition.

Annabelle finally seemed to realize that he was there and flashed him an annoyed look. “I could’ve taken care of them,” she insisted in a rasping, hoarse voice.

And he couldn’t do anything but laugh. In a second, he’d brushed her weapon aside and caught her about the waist, holding her to him, steadying her weary body against his stronger one.

“I could’ve,” she repeated, her voice sounding even weaker than before. And, although she wouldn’t admit it, relief flooded her entire being now that she was safe, in his arms…

“I have no doubt,” he agreed with a gentle little smile, looking deep down into her hazel eyes as he slowly leaned in and…

“Oh, fuck,” he grumbled under his breath when her head lolled suddenly to the side, having passed out from her injuries and the danger she’d just barely survived. There was no real anger behind the words, however.

Gently, he lifted her up into his arms, one arm behind her knees and the other cradling her small body to him. He absentmindedly brushed one lock of hair from her forehead before carrying her back to his room and her bed…