Status: Complete

Skull and Dagger

“You shall not miss me as well?”

Frank's cheeks darkened slightly as well, and he pulled his hand back, running it through his hair. When he spoke again, his voice was composed into a simple friendly narrative, however.

“It shouldn’t be too long, though. A week at the most, and that’s only if we’re chased.” His eyes suddenly dropped to the floor, and his brow furrowed as he spoke his next words. “I know you’re eager to get off this ship and all…”

She gently reached out and caught his hand in hers. He looked up at her in surprise, and she slowly began to caress his knuckles with her thumb.

She had never really noticed before what lovely hands he had. They were strong and callused from his years at sea, true, but they were more slender and graceful than she would have at first thought. And large and warm… Feeling his touch like this felt so incredibly natural to her.

She reluctantly released his hand and turned back to the parchment before her. “I actually think that I shall miss it,” she wrote. “It’s far less dull than my father’s tea parties.”

Frank let out a whoop of laughter at that, and she laughed silently along with him. However, he stopped abruptly, his hand recapturing hers and his brilliant hazel eyes staring right into hers as if looking straight into her soul. She felt herself mesmerized by his beautiful gaze…

“You shall not miss me as well?” he asked softly.

She was struck again by how his accent could change. His normal tones were rough and uncultured, but when he spoke as he did now, he sounded every bit the gentleman. As for his question…

She quickly turned back to scribbling in her own unique handwriting. “About as much as I would miss the plague.” She gave him a triumphant little smile.

He smiled as well, but something seemed to turn off in the back of his eyes at her response. She frowned slightly; it was as if she could see a brief twinge of pain and then he was closed off from her, distant once more.

He rose to his feet, putting physical distance between them as well. “You need your rest,” he commented simply. “And,” a slight scowl crossed his face, “I've got several crewmen who should now be sober enough to be properly punished…” He gave her a brief nod, before exiting the room and shutting the door firmly behind him.

He didn’t lock it.

But Annabelle was too absorbed in other matters to care. She hadn’t liked the way he’d reacted to her last little tease; it made her feel strangely…guilty. She rolled onto her side and burrowed deeper into the blankets, turning over the incident in her mind. There was something off about it, something she wasn’t getting…

She had quite decided that she wouldn’t be able to sleep. But, as if to mock her, drowsiness came abruptly upon her then, and she drifted off into a dreamworld like no other…
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok.. Im really annoyed at this CSS/CSC/CCS/SSC whatever its called!
It's irritating that there's this big white block at the start of my page (Next to my picture) and that my profile is allll the way down..
So annoying =(