Status: Complete

Skull and Dagger

Friendly Advice

Bob barely even flinched, but that deadly light lit up in the backs of his eyes as he chuckled in response. “A word of…friendly advice,” he leaned in close so that she could feel the warmth of his breath, “Frank's not quite the biggest fish in the sea. That means if you piss off the wrong people,” his hand came up to cup her chin, making her gulp, “he’s not going to be able to protect you…”

“Bob.” Frank's voice was tight, and he reached over to put a warning hand on the other man’s arm.

Bob laughed again at that, his seemingly abrupt mood changes from jovial to deadly frightening Annabelle more than his words had. “Luckily for you,” he turned back to his drink, “I don’t hold grudges. Innit that right, m’boy?”

Frank merely gave him a tight smile in response.

“So, er, yeah.” That was Gerard, desperate to change the subject. “We heard you ran into some trouble down in South America.”

Bob batted one hand in the air dismissively. “Nothing of importance,” he insisted. “The Spaniards‘re too caught up in their own problems to pay me the slightest attention.” The glint returned to his eyes. “Now you, Frank, seem to have royally aggravated the British navy. Not a smart move there…”

Frank gave him a disinterested shrug. “I've got no quarrel with the navy,” he insisted. “They stay outta my business, I stay outta theirs.”

Bob shook his head and attempted to share a conspiratorial smile with Annabelle; she didn’t smile back. “Surely, certain…families have picked up on your attacks by now, though?” he persisted.

Frank's brow furrowed slightly. “I would hope so,” he agreed, downing the entire contents of his goblet.

Bob tisked him softly. “They’re going to come after you with a vengeance one day, m’boy,” he warned.

“Let them,” Frank insisted darkly. “Finish this once an’ for all, then.”
Annabelle had been getting progressively more confused as the conversation proceeded and decided she was sick of it. “What are you talking about?” she demanded of Frank matter-of-factly. “What’s this ‘family’?”

Bob laughed in response. “You haven’t told her yet?” he asked in disbelief. He shook his head at Annabelle solemnly. “Doesn’t bode well for you, my dear. The man hasn’t even bothered to tell you his life’s work yet…”

Annabelle spun on Frank in surprise. “What is he talking about?!”

Her cry was loud enough that the entire room heard it. All across the dinning room, conversations quieted as everyone became curious about the argument taking place between the two captains and former allies.

“Not here!” Frank hissed through his teeth, noticing the audience they’d built up.

“I can’t believe you’ve managed to hold off your Williams rants,” Bob said with an amused smile. “Maybe you’re developing some restraint after all…”

“Williams?” Annabelle's eyes widened in surprise.

Bob frowned when he saw recognition there as well. “You know the Williams?” he asked curiously.

Know them?!” she turned on him in disbelief. “I’m engaged to one!”

Frank groaned and put one hand over his forehead.

Bob merely blinked a few times before realization dawned on him. “Brilliant, Frank!” he declared in delight. “Kidnap the latest fiance, seduce her while she’s in your care… The perfect revenge!”

Annabelle felt her stomach sink as Bob's words connected the dots for her. Of course, how could she possibly have been so foolish to think that this villain actually cared about her? She should have known he had ulterior motives all along.

And, to think that she had actually let him…

The emotions became too much, and she dashed from the room, fighting back tears, before anyone could stop her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh no..
The sheer drama of it all..