Status: Complete

Skull and Dagger

Believe me.

Annabelle hadn’t paid any attention where she’d been running, and, to tell the truth, she really didn’t care. However, it wasn’t until she found herself on one of the soft-sand beaches that surrounded the isle that she finally let herself break down.

God, I’m such a fool, she berated herself internally. How could I possibly believe anyone would ever love me? Especially a pirate? No one ever loves me. All anyone ever sees is my family…

A soft sob choked in her throat, and she collapsed on the sand just outside of the light from the small town that made up the only settlement on Dead Man’s Island.

He was just using me like all the others. And, god, I actually let him kiss me! Touch me. I-I would have given him my… Oh god! Such a fool, such a complete and utter fool…

“Annabelle!” a voice shouted over the rhythmic pounding of the waves on the beach.

She didn’t hear it, though. She was too busy caught up in her own misery.

To think that I actually lo—

“Annabelle!” Frank breathed a sigh of relief when he saw her outline collapsed on the beach. He quickly ran over to her. “Are you all right?” he asked, concerned, crouching down to touch her shoulder.

Before he knew what had happened, her fist shot out, striking him right in the nose. “Don’t touch me!” she screamed through her tears, crawling back away from where he’d fallen on the sand.

Frank lay back on the sand, blinking up at the night sky, and holding his nose in pain for a second. Then, with a quick shake of his head, he managed to push himself back up onto his elbows. “What the hell was that for?!” he exclaimed, enraged.

“Like you don’t know!” she screamed right back.

Frank's eyes widened. “You don’t honestly believe that fuck, do you, love?” he asked in disbelief.

“Don’t call me ‘love’,” she hissed angrily, scrambling up to her feet and stalking away.

He was on his feet in an instant and chased after her. “Will you just listen?” he asked in exasperation. He caught her elbow roughly in one hand and yanked her around to face him.

“Don’t touch me!” she repeated again, jerking away from his grasp.

“Love…” he pleaded, “Belle…” He wisely changed his form of address at angry flicker in her eyes. “Bob doesn’t know what he’s talking’ about.”

“Really?” she said with a laugh that sounded more like a sob. “Because after listening to him, suddenly everything makes a lot of sense. I’ve got to hand it to you, it was a brilliant plan.”

“There was no plan!” Frank insisted, catching her shoulders. She merely yanked herself free of his hands once more. A deep ache began in his heart at the thought that this beautiful, fiery woman that he’d held so tightly in his arms might never let him close again. The mere thought made life suddenly seem unbearable. “Please, believe me…”

If she hadn’t known better, she would’ve sworn there were tears in his eyes. “Y-You used me.” she accused hesitantly, “Made me believe that you actually cared for me…”

“I do,” he insisted softly. “Ever since I first laid eyes on you, stabbing merrily away at my crew…”

“Ever since you realized that I was Parker William's fiance,” she countered. “When were you planning on telling me about your vendetta against my soon-to-be family? After I gave myself to you? Or would you have waited until you had gotten me with child? Humiliate both me and the William's at the same time?”

“Never,” he insisted vehemently. “I-I would’ve told you…”

“When?” she demanded. “Seems rather convenient that you just ‘forgot’ to mention it.”

“It didn’t seem important at the time!” he argued.

“Not important?” she repeated in disbelief. “My future husband?”

“No,” he ground his teeth. “An’ you know why? Because nothing else mattered once I met you. You were so different…no one’s ever been able to stand up to me before, and then there was you with your little ‘escape strategies’ and your projectile shoes an’…” A fond, nostalgic smile lit up his face. “Knew at that moment that there was no one else for me.” His tone turned pleading. “Please, Belle, don’t you see? I didn’t fall for you because of who your fiancé was. I fell in love with who you are…”

She brushed away the tear at the corner of her eye. Oh, she so wanted to believe him, but… “How can I know you’re telling me the truth?” she whispered hopelessly. “How can I ever know—?”

She was cut off when he pulled her roughly to him, his lips crashing into hers. Her eyes widened, and she moved to struggle for a minute. But then she relaxed against the warmth of his embrace and the soft sweetness of his lips. Hesitantly, her arms slid around his neck, holding him to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Quite long.. But I hope you enjoyed (:

*Skips off to Micro-word to look for more updates*

x