Status: Complete

Skull and Dagger

After you.

“A hand would be appreciated,” Annabelle informed him primly from where she was stuck, half-climbed over the fence behind the building that housed Williams' shipping offices.

With a resigned sigh, Frank helped her over, his hands practically reaching around her slim waist as he brought her gently to the ground. Even he had to admit that she’d been wise to forgo her skirts for this mission. He still didn’t think she should be with him in the first place, but as he didn’t seem to have any say in the matter, it was at least a good idea that she had dressed herself in his spare clothing, if a bit…distracting.

His clothes were large on her, true. In fact, she had rolled the pant legs up to about half of their normal length. Nonetheless, the dips and curves of her body were far clearer in her current garb than the normal layered skirts that surrounded her.

Frank's attention snapped back to matter at hand when Quinn and Bert climbed over the fence behind them, Quinn handing the can of kerosene oil to Frank before he made the final jump.

Frank handed it back to him when they stood together once more. “Surround the building with the oil,” he instructed in a whisper. “Annabelle and I shall light the fire inside.”

Quinn nodded, and he and Bert set off on their appointed task.

“Up for a bit of arson, love?” Frank asked lightheartedly, offering his arm to her as they headed for the back door.

“You sure know how to treat a lady, don’t you?” she teased, pressing a gentle kiss into his palm before stepping away so that he could pick the lock on the door.

“It's part of my charm,” he agreed with a little wink. He twisted the two thin pieces of metal into the lock, and they heard an audible click.

“After you, milady,” he said with a sweeping gesture, opening the door for her.

She stifled the laugh that bubbled up in her chest and entered the small office building. Frank followed behind her, his arm slipping about her waist in a loose embrace as they searched for the optimal place to begin their fire.

With Frank holding her close and the flush of excitement and danger lighting up her face, Annabelle almost wished that their lives could always be like this. Perhaps they could return to this on occasion, just for old time’s sake and all…

However, even as she thought it, the hiss of matches lighting sounded all throughout the empty room. The pair started in surprise when they first discovered that they were not alone and were, in fact, surrounded.

“I wouldn’t move if I were you,” a young man bearing a musket instructed them.

Annabelle's hand reflexively clutched over Frank's heart in response, as if that simple gesture could defend her love. He, in turn, seemed to be trying to shield her from the enemy as he searched frantically for an escape route.

“Francis the Bloody,” a cold voice sounded throughout the room. “We meet at last…”
♠ ♠ ♠
I wonder who that is *Rolls eyes*